Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

new and old boy wanting advice

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Paulc   
Tue Aug 27 2019, 03:12pm
Member No: #4043
Hello everyone
I belonged to this site some years ago when I was hoping to buy a C6, but other events got in the way.
I was brought up with Citroen, my father owned Light 15's, DSs, CXs, BXs, XMs and now has a C5.
I've driven them all, and also Dianes and 2CVs and owned a DS Super 5 (wish I still did).

I am madly thinking of buying a C6, but because of limited budgets, VED etc, I found a 2.2 manual for sale. its done 133k with full service history, Belts done, front wishbones and struts were done.Last service it had oil, filter, drain plug, air filter, d/filter seal, door handle, a headlight and some bulbs. Air con not working but could just need a regas.

If I go and see it, what should I look out for? Do the clutches last? Am I mad buying such a high mileage model? What would be your price range?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Paul
C6Dave   
Tue Aug 27 2019, 05:32pm

Member No: #1
133K is not High on a modern car and the 2.2 engine is in quite a few more cars. 2.2 manual will have a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) so doing 50mph in top gear floor the accelerator and see if the engine 'surges' before the car picks up, sure sign of a weak DMF which might need replacing.

C6 values are rock bottom, ignore any 'rare' comments, there are plenty for sale (though not many 2.2 manual) but for a really nice one somewhere between £3 and £4.5K should be more than enough?
Website
Paulc   
Wed Aug 28 2019, 09:33pm
Thanks Dave

What are the ongoing costs like for these cars? Are there any particular weak points to look out for?
C6Dave   
Thu Aug 29 2019, 07:30am

The 2.2's are less complex and less prone to suspension joint wear and I can't think of anything that is particularly 'weak' about them.

It's the 2.7 hdi's that seem to cost the most to run.
Website
Dan595   
Thu Aug 29 2019, 08:03pm
Member No: #299
Hi Paul,

My 2.2 is nudging 227,000 miles so I wouldn't consider 133 as high mileage.

At 133,000 be aware that it will be due a cambelt, DPF fluid refill, and a clutch/DMF before too long if these have not been done already. The last job is likely to be into 4 figures.

Mine needed DMF at around 160K, still on the first clutch.

Also all wheel bearings may need doing - on mine rears went first.

Usual C6 provisos - heavy on lower ball joints (FRIP joints), quite heavy on front tyres.

Air con may just need a re-gas, but a condenser is an expensive job.

Owned the car from 5,000 miles and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Dan595   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 09:43am
In addition to the above (and interested to hear how others have fared):

I've only ever had to top the oil up once between services (@ 20,000 mile intervals) and even then I suspect it was filled a little low after a service.

The exhaust system has never had to be touched throughout the life of the car (barring topping up the DPF fluid and re-fastening the heat shield that sits above the rear silencer).

Both of the above in great contrast to 2CV and GSA ownership!
C6Dave   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 09:46am

Dan595 wrote ...

The exhaust system has never had to be touched throughout the life of the car (barring topping up the DPF fluid and re-fastening the heat shield that sits above the rear silencer).

Both of the above in great contrast to 2CV and GSA ownership!

Never changed an exhaust on a C6 yet either but never mind the 2CV and GSA try running a Traction Avant!
Website
Paulc   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 10:32am
Thanks for that.
It's not my favourite colour, but might be the only one I can afford. I wanted one since they arrived, but not the most practical for family and dog! And I also have to convince the wife who thinks it's probably too big to drive. Oh well.
Going to see it this weekend.
Supposedly has FSH, lower wishbone done and cam belt done recently.
How much is a DPF fluid refill?
How long is a clutch likely to last on average and what price?

Paul
Dan595   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 11:44am
I did the DPF fluid myself using a Citroen kit - I can't remember what I paid for it but under £100 (ebay). You do need to reset the counter using Lexia or Diagbox so if you don't have one of these it may be not much more expensive to take it to dealer.

My clutch was still fine at 160,000 miles but I'm not hard on cars. It was changed then as the DMF needed doing. Also needed a driveshaft at the same time so price was well over £1,000 and possibly more than £1,500. Citroen used to offer a 'fixed price repair' on the clutch for £699 and from memory this was much lower than the book price.

The car you've seen looks to be an Exclusive, which is a bonus. MoT history check looks okay too.

Warranty paid for the air-con condenser, north of £500 (and that was several years ago).
Paulc   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 06:24pm
Thanks Dan

Are, so you found it.
I'll try Dave's suggestion to test the clutch.
Are the air con condensers a weak spot? Is there a quick way of telling if its faulty, rather than just needing a re-gas?
The MoT history seems to show a lot of blown bulbs, which seemed a bit odd.
Any other tell tale signs i should look/listen out for?
I'm popping along to see and drive it first thing in the morning, but I certainly want to limit the chances of buying something that needs expensive work from the off, but it is always a lottery buying second hand, which is all I ever do!

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Dan595   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 10:19pm
I don't know if condensers are a common fault, but mine failed early. Advice is leave air con on all the time.

Otherwise check the service history, including for coolant changes. Given the 20,000 mile service interval there can be no excuse for not having a full history.

Check for unusual tyre wear. Drive it, you should feel the turbos kick in strongly above 1500 rpm. Listen for clonks, particularly at the front. Check that the handbrake works, not a cheap fix.
Paulc   
Sat Aug 31 2019, 06:21pm
So, not sure what to do now.
Here's what I found out - any thoughts welcome?

Done 133k miles. FSH book stamps by same dealership - though only really seems to be basic services. not sure about brake or suspension fluids etc)
All looks fine under neath, no sign of leaks or damage.
Age wear on body works, slight bubble of paint on top of one door.
Suspension adjustment all working smoothly and without noises.

The car drives really well. Now clutch slip. No noisy bearings. Engine pulls well all the way. Handbrake all good. Brakes strong. Tyres were all different, though with plenty of tread so difficult to see an odd wear problems.

Issues - air con doesn't blow cold (have no idea whether regas or condenser). Passenger electric window switch not working, but can be opened by driver controls. Front bumper not fitting properly, and inside wheel arch too (looking at receipts for work, i thin the front wing was damaged at some point, headlight replaced and body work repaired by Citroen dealership, but obviously not brilliantly). I this easy to sort out?

Regular servicing by Citroen dealership including service last year.
Front wishbones and swivel pins and supports replaced '17.
New battery.
Crank sensor replaced.
micro v belt (2017 . 117k)
motor kit ?
water pump
new brake pads all round (117K)
front suspension arms and pivots (117k)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 01 2019, 07:43am

Air con could be the vent flap motors, one side might be hot, the other blowing cold?

That's a common issue but could be low on gas. If it is it won't switch the compressor on as the gas contains a lubricant.

Switch is easy to replace and again fairly common but how often do you open that window (unless stopping at a Piage in France)

Bumper, well it might be possible to loosen everything and realign but...

All are bargaining points when it comes down to the price your willing to pay.
Website
Paulc   
Sun Sep 01 2019, 09:46am
Thanks Dave

The air con is not working on all vents, so just not blowing cool air.

The bodywork front bumper and wheel arch liners - its difficult to assess whether it all just needs new plastic screws and putting together, or whether the points that attach and mount points are broken.

I'd still have to convince my wife who wasn't too sure.

I think I could probably get it for £2K?

Paul
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 01 2019, 11:47am

Paulc wrote ...

I think I could probably get it for £2K?

At that price it's worth a punt
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club