Updating the satnav

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alexjfisher   
Sun Aug 11 2019, 12:31pm
Member No: #2263
Hi

I've never updated the satnav before (although the previous owner may have once). Is the 2016/2017 edition (with data collected in 2015), really the latest version available? If so, £130 seems like a lot to pay.

I also need new firmware installed first? (This would also support speed camera databases??). I think downloading a copy of the firmware CD might be risky. I've seen a few references to the system sometimes struggling to read CD-Rs and somebody else complaining that they accidentally installed firmware meant for a C5??

Maybe someone has a copy of the correct firmware disk and European maps they're done with and could sell me??

My car is currently with Arnaud at Citropro getting some TLC. When I get it back next weekend, I'd love to further spoil it with some new maps before going abroad a week later.

Thanks,
Alex
C6Dave   
Sun Aug 11 2019, 02:42pm

Member No: #1
Yes the latest maps are from Q4 2015 I'm afraid. Firmware update speeds up the loading, adds post code search in the 'country' field IIRC.

Safety cameras are worth doing but the official one, not one online as they are not 'directional' and will beep for no reason.

Each map can take 20-30 minutes to load as well and the car needs to be running to load them so it doesn't go into 'economy mode' so when you get some only load the countries you need would be my advice (or buy a TomTom which is more up to date)
Website
rwb   
Sun Aug 11 2019, 07:50pm
Member No: #1988
Indeed PSA have stopped ordering the production of new maps.

You need the latest firmware to read the latest maps because they changed the map format.
Website
Tjensen   
Mon Aug 12 2019, 10:24am
Member No: #954
The maps are delivered with the latest system update disk. In my car this had some problems with some of the C6 specials (can be edited in with Lexia afterwards), but the system disk from Citroen do not have this problem. I should mention the my RT5 system suffers form a strange "height sickness": a few times each year the system (HDD) crashes above 1000 m above sea level and then restarts (or must be helped by system disk). I have a new HDD , but the problem is small and not often, so I have not changed it yet.
alexjfisher   
Mon Aug 12 2019, 08:42pm
rwb wrote ...

Indeed PSA have stopped ordering the production of new maps.

You need the latest firmware to read the latest maps because they changed the map format.

I guess this means I *don't* want to update the firmware until I've also got hold of one or more map disks. I didn't realise this. Thanks!
alexjfisher   
Mon Aug 12 2019, 08:49pm
Tjensen wrote ...

The maps are delivered with the latest system update disk. In my car this had some problems with some of the C6 specials (can be edited in with Lexia afterwards), but the system disk from Citroen do not have this problem. I should mention the my RT5 system suffers form a strange "height sickness": a few times each year the system (HDD) crashes above 1000 m above sea level and then restarts (or must be helped by system disk). I have a new HDD , but the problem is small and not often, so I have not changed it yet.

I'm going to order a genuine firmware CD and see if I can't 'find' the maps somewhere else. I figure since the firmware disk is the one that is going to be flashing the eprom, I *really* don't want to be chancing that with unreliable CD-Rs etc. I've got Lexia/Diagbox so hopefully won't get myself too backed into a corner if something goes wrong. I'm going to be staying a week in the Alps at 1300 m. I'll let you know if I won't encounter a similar issue!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club