C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Well it looks like it's back in here GJ57NYP

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sportmaserati   
Sun Aug 11 2019, 09:03am
Member No: #3998
Well to start with my introduction - All my life my family had french cars. I have been proud owner Of a CX for the last five years. Had a XM for a while (Needed to go, as I didn't have enough space at the time). And just recently there was this C6 with a very tempting price tag on it. I had to have it. Obviously I am not stupid and I knew it will need some work. And it sure did - all the usual C6 gremlins. Front end bushes, faulty TPMS, Rear EGR, FAP error, Pre-Heat Relay/Glow Plugs, Parking Sensors... etc.

So a lot of swearing ahead of me, but I do quite enjoy fixing stuff and your extensive knowledge is a great help.

Here are some photos of it as well.

- Click Here -
Paulius   
Sun Aug 11 2019, 12:01pm
Member No: #1821
Looks like the headlights need polishing and rims need to be sanded. Then it would look so much better!
C6Dave   
Sun Aug 11 2019, 02:51pm

Member No: #1
Pre heat relay are cheap enough (I bought one of these - Click Here - ) and don't take long to change and will probably be enough without changing the actual glow plugs.

MOT fail list adds a few things to yours
Website
sportmaserati   
Wed Aug 14 2019, 01:05pm
Member No: #3998
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Dave, the MOT list was long indeed, but nothing to be scared of. Not to mention that the MOT inspector had missed couple of bits.
I have found the pre-heat relay buried under all the other modules and checked for faulty glow plug at the connector (considering where the actual plugs are seems the more convenient way of testing) and there was one at fault. I wonder if only one will throw an error and can you determine which one is it from the connector?

Another bit of a headache is the suspension heights (front end is way higher than normal). Now Diagbox is great, if you know what you are doing with it. From other posts here I have managed to find the menu where you supposed to adjust the hight of the car, but after few tries it failed to program it. It said to make sure the right colour sensor is at the right corner of the car. Now all my sensors are Black which has confused me even further.
The suspension in general is very stiff at normal ride height. I like working on my cars, but this seems to be more electronics than what I am used to. A screenshot of the error message is below.

I am sorry,I don't know how to spin it the correct way. It looks the right way up until I post it
cruiserphil   
Wed Aug 14 2019, 03:00pm

Member No: #38
Hello Sportmaserati,

The height programming is not straightforward but it's so long since I've done it I would have to try it again. I know when i first did it it took a whole day to figure how to fool the system to arrive at the correct heights!!Best regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Wed Aug 14 2019, 05:56pm

Member No: #1
From the 'Super Sticky' on Glow Plug Relay - Click Here -

To test the individual Glow plugs you can follow the above procedure to access the 6 way connector on the relay to use a multimeter rather than removing the engine cover and disconnecting each plug individually.

The rear of the relay is numbered to match the glow plug location with cylinder 1 at the bottom through to cylinder 6 at the top:

If there is only glow plug 1 not working it's unlikely to stop the engine starting and given the potential issues changing 1 (breaking etc.) I would be inclined to ignore it personally....
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club