C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Engine light after thermostat change?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
bigbruggsy   
Sun Jul 21 2019, 10:55am
Member No: #3483
Hi all, sorry I’m posting this from my phone but we’re in the middle of a road trip in France. Yesterday before the start of our trip I replaced the thermostat housing. While I did I noticed the inlet manifold was quite dirty with soot. I gave it a clean and put it all back together. Everything related to the coolant system is fine but now I have an engine light coming when I first start the car with an emissions error message and car now will rev over 3000 rpm and the cruise control will not engage. I’ve brought my tools with me, but I’ve checked all the sensors are plugged in, anything else I should check?
bigbruggsy   
Sun Jul 21 2019, 11:11am
Oh I forgot to mention, I’ve tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes but then engine light comes on once the motor starts.
321dave   
Sun Jul 21 2019, 12:47pm
Member No: #614
bigbruggsy wrote ...

Oh I forgot to mention, I’ve tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes but then engine light comes on once the motor starts.

Sorry to hear your having a few issues especially on your road trip. Not so nice! I've done the housing myself before, but on re-assembly I didn't have any issues. But I'm wondering did you clamp the turbo intercooler pipe and air box pipes up correctly? All sensors connected and wiring ok. Best go and have a good look over everything.

When you said you cleaned the inlet ports, did you spray anything or hoover the soot?
bigbruggsy   
Sun Jul 21 2019, 02:00pm
Hi Dave, thanks for reply, I have checked things over and everything is connected correctly. I’m think my cleaning may have pushed some of the spot back into the inlet manifold, or the sensor on the top of the inlet manifold maybe damaged (as this was clogged with soot and I used a small screwdriver to get it out of the hole) We have another 250 Klms to go before I can take it apart again. Can the inlet manifolds be taken off and reuse the gaskets?
MGmike   
Sun Jul 21 2019, 08:38pm
Member No: #3151
You really need a Lexia session to check for error codes but... if you've used a screwdriver on the manifold pressure sensor I would start with that. You could try an aerosol can of solvent cleaner (electrical contract, brake or MAF cleaner, or degreaser). I used a small pick (blunt wooded tooth pick) to help clean it out but be careful not to push to hard and split the sensor membrane.

Best of luck
321dave   
Sun Jul 21 2019, 11:16pm
MGmike wrote ...

You really need a Lexia session to check for error codes but... if you've used a screwdriver on the manifold pressure sensor I would start with that. You could try an aerosol can of solvent cleaner (electrical contract, brake or MAF cleaner, or degreaser). I used a small pick (blunt wooded tooth pick) to help clean it out but be careful not to push to hard and split the sensor membrane.

Best of luck

That's a good point. I would check the sensor you cleaned over again and maybe as MGmike says give it a blast with a cleaner. I did crack the inlet manifold sensor by misplacing the part while storing it and had warning and drive issues afterwards until I sellotaped it together again. Hard to notice until I used a torch. But I did replace the sensor eventually as it fully broke in two eventually.
bigbruggsy   
Mon Jul 22 2019, 05:05am
My manifold pressure sensor was choked up with soot I didnt know there was a delicate membrane. I've most surely broken mine as i was quite vigourous with my cleaning. Does anyone know the part number? as Ive tried searching online and the ones I find do not look like my sensor.
bigbruggsy   
Mon Jul 22 2019, 05:56am
This is the sensor that I cleaned, it doesnt look like the ones I find on the internet when I search for inlet manifold sensor. Is this maybe called something else?

C6Dave   
Mon Jul 22 2019, 06:49am

Member No: #1
Not sure which sensor your talking about but maybe this will help with the part number?

Website
bigbruggsy   
Mon Jul 22 2019, 07:00am
Thank you Dave, the part I cleaned is part number 11 intake air pressure sensor rp1920rk 1920hk. But when I google those part numbers I get a sensor that is different in shape to mine, maybe mine has been replaced with a generic one? as the one I have does not have these part numbers. From what I can read in very small writing on my sensor is SN501EH or its maybe 5N501EH
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 22 2019, 10:58am

Member No: #1
1920 RK is listed by both Pug and Citroen at £89.94 in the UK - some sites list it as a 'map' or 'vacum' sensor with a 'generic' image.

Citroen Lorient in France seem to advertise a lot. Every other search I tried come back as no stock, only other one was Bart Ebden who said 'check stock' before ordering....
Website
321dave   
Mon Jul 22 2019, 04:14pm
bigbruggsy wrote ...

This is the sensor that I cleaned, it doesnt look like the ones I find on the internet when I search for inlet manifold sensor. Is this maybe called something else?

Yip, that's the one on top near the little metal bracket.
No 11 on the diagram. That caused my drive issues for a few days. There €40 I think new and you can get them from online stores or Citroen/Peugeot. I bought a secondhand manifold for the various parts and used the sensor on it. Solved my issues at the time. Hope it solves yours.
onthecut   
Tue Jul 23 2019, 04:00pm
Member No: #2793
Can the inlet manifolds be taken off and reuse the gaskets?

I looked at removing them when I had mine apart for the housing and glow plugs and rapidly came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the grief. A couple of other things to check ---- inspect any of the hard nylon vacuum tubes you may have moved in the course of the job. On mine they were laughably brittle.
Check also the swirl actuators at the gearbox end of the manifolds; on mine, one had got a punctured diaphragm, so a loss of vacuum. Can't honestly say I've noticed the slightest difference since repairing it, but I guess it's better than a leak..

Mike.
321dave   
Tue Jul 23 2019, 09:22pm
onthecut wrote ...

Can the inlet manifolds be taken off and reuse the gaskets?

I looked at removing them when I had mine apart for the housing and glow plugs and rapidly came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the grief. A couple of other things to check ---- inspect any of the hard nylon vacuum tubes you may have moved in the course of the job. On mine they were laughably brittle.
Check also the swirl actuators at the gearbox end of the manifolds; on mine, one had got a punctured diaphragm, so a loss of vacuum. Can't honestly say I've noticed the slightest difference since repairing it, but I guess it's better than a leak..

Mike.

That's a good point about checking the vacuum pipes, no harm as they can be easily broken and you mightn't even notice any damage was done. I've replaced all the the brittle pipes as well as the actuators. In my case the change made a big difference to the throttle response. Much better at roundabouts for example. But in my case I had two leaks.
bigbruggsy   
Wed Jul 24 2019, 07:10am
Thank you all for your suggestions. A few months back I replaced the vacuum pipes and swirl actuators, so I'm confident these are not the issue. As an update I ordered a new intake pressure sensor (part 192RK) and installed it last night. But to my surprise the engine light and emssion error are still present (even after a battery disconnect) So looking at other areas I have touched during my thermostat housing replacement I tried cleaning the airintake temperature sensor and it broke when removing it from its housing (plastic was very brittle) So weve just ordered a new sensor (part 1920JF) from Citroen, it should arrive tomorrow. But I still think the issue is maybe in the inlet manifolds, maybe Ive dislodged some soot in there? I noticed the rear one had a butterfly valve, maybe this has become stuck?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club