Re-Coding a Key

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Stew U   
Fri May 22 2015, 11:28am
Member No: #698
Hi All,

Just replaced the battery in my keyfob and the key now appears to be de-coded. Checked and replaced the battery to make sure it wasn't this. Looking on the internet a C3 forum said that to re-code the keys, I should turn the ignition to the 2nd position and hold the lock button down for 10 sec, then wait 1 min inside the car and then the key should work.

Does anyone know if this works for a C6? I don't want to stop my backup key working if this doesn't work.

Thanks,

Stew

(apologies if this has been asked before - I couldn't see a thread on it)
C6Dave   
Fri May 22 2015, 03:23pm

Member No: #1
The question is if the blade is cut to fit the ignition, will these steps work To reprogram the key to the car:

- Key in ignition (ignition off)

- Turn key to ignition on, and press and hold locking button for about 5 secs.

- Release button on fob

- Turn ignition off

- Wait about 10-15secs and fob programming should be complete.
Website
cruiserphil   
Sat May 23 2015, 08:28pm

Member No: #38
Yes, this procedure worked for me in the past.

Best regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 15 2019, 10:19am

4 years later and it still works this way if your key fob battery has died and been replaced.

Key in ignition, turn on, wait 5 seconds, turn off but leave key in place for 15 seconds before removing.

Worked for me today.
Website
ceeso   
Tue Jul 16 2019, 06:47pm
Member No: #1788
Sound advice that works effectively. Having the key fob re-programmed is another thing off the list. Now to establish why there's so much water in the spare wheel well in the boot... c'est la vie Citroen
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 17 2019, 08:13am

ceeso wrote ...

Sound advice that works effectively. Having the key fob re-programmed is another thing off the list. Now to establish why there's so much water in the spare wheel well in the boot... c'est la vie Citroen

Have a look at the rear light clusters, dirt can build up at the top end where the rubber section covers the gutter section, the car I bought recently had a blocked gutter, moisture in the light unit and water in the boot.

Removed the light cluster and cleaned everything before fitting a replacement unit and the boot now stays dry. Doesn't take long as there are only 2 wing nuts holding each one in place.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club