Alternatives to B.L. Autos

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alexjfisher   
Tue Jul 16 2019, 03:52pm
Member No: #2263
Hi

Sorry for the inflammatory thread title! B.L. Autos are great and I've used them 3 times in the past. But... they're just too far away for me (~140 miles). Previously I've always been able to drop the C6 off on a Saturday morning and collect it the following weekend. That's no longer an option it would seem. It's a great shame, as Robert clearly knows his stuff.

So... can anyone recommend anywhere else that will let me drop off on a weekend? I live in Frome, Somerset, so somewhere a bit closer than WGC would obviously be better too.

At the moment I've got a few things that need putting right before I go away to France in late August.

* A clicking sound that seems to get louder when I steer right. Maybe a wheel bearing??? It's been like that for ages now. It's especially noticeable on smooth french motorways though, so it'd be good to get it sorted.
* Glow-plugs. I've had an engine warning light periodically come up. 'Pre/Post heating' issue according to the laptop. 'Relay controlled/Plugs not controlled'?? Something like that. I'd have to double check. When it does occur, the car goes into limp home mode until I let it warm up a bit then turn it off and on again...
* A few other occasional knocking sounds. I probably need a new ball joint, drop-link or similar replacing.

Thanks,
Alex
C6Dave   
Tue Jul 16 2019, 04:55pm

Member No: #1
Using the sites 'service review' section - Click Here - and a postcode for Frome I get this:

Now Arnaund at Citropro has good C6 experience, just no reviews
Website
rwb   
Tue Jul 16 2019, 08:19pm
Member No: #1988
I'm lucky to have found a local (Telford) independent who used to be a Citroen tech. He is brilliant -- obviously far too competent to work for Citroen. And he's happy to make repairs and doesn't insist on replacing everything with original parts at any cost.

Found him by searching for "French car diagnostic".
Might have to try a few before you find a good one.

On the other hand I use a cheap mobile guy to do stuff like swivel joints, drop links, ABS sensors, glow plugs (all of which I'm ashamed not to be able to do myself, but these delicate office-working hands are astonishingly incompetent with spanners) that dont' really require C6 specific experience.
Website
Dan595   
Tue Jul 16 2019, 10:55pm
Member No: #299
Arnaud Lemasson at Citropro. I don't have his details to hand but PM me if needed. I'm in Bradford on Avon and my C6 owes its continued existence to Arnaud (and Islington Citroën in Trowbridge)
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 17 2019, 11:02am

Member No: #1
If you want to see what Citropro know about the C6, look at this image. No need to mark the wiring connectors as they have done it several times

Website
DSDan   
Thu Jul 18 2019, 03:23am
Member No: #3488
I suddenly feel queasy.
alexjfisher   
Sat Jul 20 2019, 12:16pm
Member No: #2263
Thanks everyone for the tip. Car is booked in with Citropro. It looks really promising. Only downside is they're not VAT registered, and I've got 6 months left on Warranty Direct cover. I'm sure I've got plenty of stuff that isn't covered that they can help me with though.
Dan595   
Sun Jul 21 2019, 10:07pm
Member No: #299
The lack of VAT registration is a mixed blessing - I can't get my car serviced by Arnaud as I have a lifetime warranty that needs servicing by someone VAT registered. He has done a great and very reasonably priced job on my handbrake cables and rear ABS sensors, as well as a few other bits. He's a nice guy and knows his stuff.

For other stuff, Islington Citroën in Trowbridge have serviced my car for over 150,000 miles. They mucked up once (burst the LDS tank) but did replace it FOC. They have a fully trained C6 technician (he sold me my GSA 17 years ago so is in the enthusiast bracket). Very clean workshop. Generally a helpful and understanding attitude. They also have a great and inexpensive bodywork guy who visits once a week, sorts out minor scuffs at minimum cost. It was only the handbrake cables/ABS sensors that made me look elsewhere, the combined price at main dealer rates being a bit difficult to justify on such a high mileage car. Thanks to Arnaud, on we go - 225,000 and counting.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club