ABS SENSOR REMOVAL PROBLEM - nearside (left) front

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
82t   
Wed Jun 26 2019, 06:52pm
Member No: #2983
Hi

My mechanic changed my front nearside ball-joint today, but did not want to forcibly remove the attached ABS sensor from its socket, in which it appears to be corroded into position. From experience, he is certain it will snap.

But he thinks if I'm gentle with it, and take my time, it might release itself. (I've taken home the old part, with sensor still attached.)

Before I begin, WD40 to hand, any advice?
cruiserphil   
Thu Jun 27 2019, 09:27am

Member No: #38
Hello,

Sounds like you have replaced the hub? They are difficult to remove. Some you win, some you lose. You'll need a soft drift and then keep tapping gently. Avoid twisting to any great degree. Having done them, I would recommend fitting a new one. However, you've nothing to lose.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Dan595   
Thu Jun 27 2019, 09:51am
Member No: #299
If the hub is being replaced, you'll do very well to get the old ABS sensor out intact. Both of mine had to be replaced (different garages doing the job). They are not expensive, I would probably replace on a precautionary basis anyway.

That said, the n/s/f one is easy enough to change on the car. Unlike the rears...
82t   
Fri Jun 28 2019, 08:42am
Member No: #2983
Hi Phil

Thanks for your response. Is "soft drift" a typo, or something I should already be aware of?

Thanks.

Cillian

Hello,

Sounds like you have replaced the hub? They are difficult to remove. Some you win, some you lose. You'll need a soft drift and then keep tapping gently. Avoid twisting to any great degree. Having done them, I would recommend fitting a new one. However, you've nothing to lose.

Best regards,

Phil C.
[/quote1561711300]
cruiserphil   
Fri Jun 28 2019, 11:20am

Member No: #38
Hello Cillian,

I meant what you use to try and drive it out. Try and use a plastic or wooden punch implement rather than steel.

Best of luck.

Best regards,

Phil C.
onthecut   
Fri Jun 28 2019, 04:04pm
Member No: #2793
Hello.

There is some good news with these ----- they must fit other things as they are
relatively inexpensive at a factors (Upper teen ££).

Biggest fiddle is extracting the cable; the connector is semi buried under the engine bay fuse box (outside it, not inside). Resist the temptation to snip the cable. Overall it is quicker to leave it whole, but once separated at the connector, tie a strong htread around the loose connector end and pull it through with the cable. The tie around your replacement and carefully use it to draw the new one back through. Careful whe feeding it through the wheelhouaing aperture.

Mike.
e3steve   
Mon Jul 08 2019, 09:58pm
Member No: #1163
And don’t use Pagid or cheapo sensors; you’ll end up doing the job twice! Delphi or, preferably, Bosch.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club