Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Here is why the door stays are failing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gbl   
Sun Jul 19 2015, 03:40pm
Member No: #936
I have replaced my left front door stay, and I can see now why these are failing. The small piece of aluminum facing up is corroding, probably because of water coming down from above. When the aluminum eventually disappears due to corrosion, then there is no load on the spring below (which was by the way also already broken due to corrosion).

Once the door panel is removed, it is easy to remove and refit the door stay through the access hole above the loudspeaker.
magicands   
Sun Jul 19 2015, 08:29pm
Member No: #1021
Nice job, thanks for the photos as well
Website
nouveaucitroenist   
Fri Feb 24 2017, 09:21pm
Member No: #2222
I've recently replace a rear door stay suffering with the same affliction. I paid £30 for a genuine Citroën part and have refurbished the old one using a £10 C4 stay from the internet. I replaced the rusted spring and missing plate with donor parts from the new stay. The side bracket from the C6 simply unclips and can be reversed for use on the opposite door, and I've still another spring and plate ready for the next door stay! I covered my metal plate with a dollop of grease to protect it before putting it back in. The door clips mostly came apart ok, but i've included a photo of them so if you source them from a factors you can get the correct ones. I found some marked as for Renault that were the same.

Dan595   
Tue Feb 28 2017, 07:12pm
Member No: #299
I have two doors with this problem and no doubt the others are not far behind.
Does anyone have any good measurements of the spring? I could get some made in stainless steel...maybe the plates too.
vaho   
Wed Mar 01 2017, 09:48am
Member No: #2228
Actually the stays are the same (front doors for sure, maybe even all around). I had bad ones on both front doors. Each stay has two springs and in my case only one of them on both sides were broken, I assume that this is usually the case. So what I did was that I bought only one new stay. Since now I had two bad stays with one good spring each I just replaced the broken spring with good one from another stay. No need to buy extra parts.

So if you have two bad stays, buy only one new and repair the other combining the good parts.
gmerry   
Wed Mar 01 2017, 01:38pm
Member No: #21
Is it possible to avoid the problem with the door stays, just by keeping them well greased?

thanks
nouveaucitroenist   
Sat Mar 04 2017, 09:54am
Member No: #2222
I would think if you can stop the corrosion of the plate and the spring beneath it in good time you'd be ok. The door stays are different front to rear, but reversible side to side, you just turn them over and reverse the silver plate with the rubber block on. It's a shame PSA charge so much for their spare parts.
I'm going to do my drivers door next with the spare parts I have from the cheap part I bought and will measure the spring when I do it.
bigbruggsy   
Wed Jun 26 2019, 06:53pm
Member No: #3483
Hi all, does anyone know the part number for the door stays? or at least the size of the spring. All 4 of my doors have this issue!
C6Dave   
Fri Jun 28 2019, 04:11pm

Member No: #1
@bigbruggsy door stay numbers:

Front Doors: 9181 J4 @ £45.30 each from Citroen

Rear Doors: 9181 J3 & £38.21 each from Citroen

Or get some Vauxhall Astra ("H" OEM Numbers: 13107175, 516 0251) units to repair yours using the guide: - Click Here -
Website
Garfield   
Fri Feb 21 2020, 01:13pm
Member No: #4234
Astra H also uses these same door stops, much cheaper than the PSA ones.

C6Dave   
Fri Feb 21 2020, 01:33pm

Member No: #1
@Garfieldie there is a 'Sticky' post giving the Astra part numbers on site - Click Here - Site search should have thrown that one up

Repair Guide: - Click Here -
Website
tich731   
Thu Mar 12 2020, 09:40am
Member No: #3023
Following on from the good advice in this thread, I have just repaired my driver's door stay, where 1 spring was found broken, using a secondhand Astra part obtained on eBay for just £6.00.
I also obtained some door clips from Citroen, although I found that the existing ones could be pressed back together and re-used if not actually broken.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club