Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 engine shake, engine mount worn? which one?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
bigbruggsy   
Tue Jun 18 2019, 05:41am
Member No: #3483
Hi all,
Well we've had a few months of C6 driving without any issues, but lately there seems to be excessive engine shake. Its felt through the steering wheel mainly under acceleration between 1500 - 2000rpm. At first I thought it was a wheel out of balance so I swapped it fro another wheel and its still there. Maybe its a cv joint? or cv shaft? But I can see sometimes the engine shaking more than it should, so that makes me think it an engine mount. Ive had a look as best as I can without jacking the car up on a lift. But I cant see any issues with them, I also cant really shake the motor by hand. So this leads me to my question. Which engine mount is know to fail first?

I've replaced the vacuum hosing when I fixed the swirl valve actuators a few months back, but I haven't checked the vacuum lines to the mounts themselves. We are about to drive to the other side of France this weekend so I'm hoping it either fix it here before we leave or when we arrive (were staying in one location for 2 weeks, so I could always take my tools and do it there) So long as I have the parts.

Anyone have experience with replacing the engine mounts? can it be done with just a jack under the engine?

I look forward to your replies. Thanks again.
bigbruggsy   
Sun Jun 23 2019, 03:43pm
Member No: #3483
Hello all. We've taken the C6 out on a big dash across France today, and I think I may have 2 issues. Before heading out on the trip we had the front tyres re balanced. The vibration is still present (maybe slightly less?) but I think the vibration is worse when the cars weight is loaded more on one side (eg. going through a corner) So I'm thinking one of the CV shafts is possibly out of balance? I've had the same issue on a previous car and replacing the cv shaft solved the issue. Are the generic cv shafts on ebay any good? anyone have experience in which ones to stay clear of?

But the other issue that maybe compounding the issue is The engine has a noticeable shake when I look at it with the bonnet open, so I need to investigate which engine mount is worn. Can this be done by visual inspection?
MGmike   
Sun Jun 23 2019, 04:35pm
Member No: #3151
be careful with the eBay driveshafts as they are frequently listed as fitting a C6 but don't, ask me how I know

The front and rear engine mounts need to be removed for inspection as they have side covers to prevent you seeing any de-lamination. Easiest one to get at is the front on the side of gearbox (it's called a torque mount). The Rear one is a bit of a pig but can be done using a very long extension from the RH wheel well and disconnecting the exhaust flexi's. The Cam belt end mount is easy(ish) to get at but unlikely to be a problem but the gearbox end mount is a challenge as you need to remove all the ECU/Fusebox stuff etc.
mixolydian   
Mon Jul 29 2019, 03:16pm
Member No: #3382
Appreciate this is a little late, but I had a similar experience with a quite severe shake / vibration that appeared and got worse quite quickly. This only occurred whilst moving and having had the wheels balanced and swapping wheels front-to-back, I concluded it was likely the drive shafts. This was definitely the problem as once out, the CV joints in the old drive shafts were completely useless.

I didn't have the vibration at tick over and this does sound like the engine mounts. I ordered genuine drive shafts from Citroen and the car has been fine since - however they took a long time to arrive (months). There was no alternative though, since it would surely have destroyed the gearbox with that amount of vibration.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club