C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Power steering fuild leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
joopajaa   
Fri May 31 2019, 08:40am
Member No: #3261
I have some minor moist on some steering pipe joints (with rubber) but the most fluid is leaking somewhere around the steering pump. I'n now changing the alternator so "almost easy" to get access to the pump now.

Any ideas with leaking joints there? I hardly think its the pump it self that leaks - but it may.

joopajaa   
Fri May 31 2019, 08:42am
Member No: #3261
This picture was take directly from under the pump.

e3steve   
Sat Jun 15 2019, 04:43pm
Member No: #1163
rwb wrote ...

What exactly is LDS?
Liquide Direction et Suspension

rwb wrote ...

Looks like it's _Total Fluide LDS_ and *not* Total Fluide DA?
Direction Assistée.

LDS is Citroën’s nomenclature; Fluide DA is Peugeot’s. They’re exactly the same fully-synth fluids, differing in name only.

Worthy of note: it’s a hygroscopic liquid and, therefore, should be discarded if its container is suspected of having been opened for more than a month or so...
e3steve   
Sat Jun 15 2019, 04:58pm
joopajaa wrote ...

This picture was take directly from under the pump.

There’s a crimped union, hardpipe-to-flexi, inside the soft foam rubber sleeve on one of the PS pipes. If it’s the return pipe that’s weeping then that is easily addressable, as the aluminium crimp ferrule can be cut off using strong sidecutters. It’s best to drain it and attempt to clean and dry the pipe and the hose, then refit using an appropriately-sized worm-drive hose clip, preferably stainless steel (from a chandlery).

If draining isn’t convenient — as it was on mine — then undo the hose clip fully and open it out to fit it onto the hose. Then cut off the crimp ferrule, give it a good wipe around with a solvent — brake cleaner, methylated spirit, medical alcohol or, at a push, good old petrol — and fit a second hose clip where the crimp once was. There should be enough pipe penetration for two clips. I’d definitely fit two clips!

If it’s the supply pipework that’s at fault — ie from the pump — then replacement is the only real solution. The pressures involved make a repair virtually impossible (unless you know someone with a portable hydraulically-operated crimping machine).

You can tell the difference between the two similarly-sized pipes & hoses: the supply line is crimped with steel ferrules, which are almost impossible to cut off with sidecutters.
e3steve   
Sat Jun 15 2019, 05:11pm
Just to add: looking at that image, I’d get the car up to temperature — ie after a bit of a drive — then leave the engine running, put the suspension to max height and blast it clean with a pressure wash.

I do this virtually every time, before I chock, jack up & prop, ready to do any mucky work.
rwb   
Fri Jul 12 2019, 12:15pm
Member No: #1988
So a previous repair has been bodged rather badly. They used some quite stiff plastic hose and left it rubbing against the driveshaft.

Citroen want £350 for a complete pipe set, and because of all the rigid pieces in it it's probably impossible to install without removing the engine. So -- since we have proof that jubilee clips do in fact hold it -- it's getting a new piece of hydraulic hose routed slightly differently.

There is rigid pipe from the rack which runs parallel with "more pipe" in a solid piece shaped round the subframe, then you can see at the bottom left the front of that pipe where it was joined to hose. You can see the hole to the left of the CV joint.

£3 (I gave them a fiver because tha'ts what was in my pocket) for a piece of pipe and some "clic clips" from a brilliant local hydraulic place. Although they didn't have much to say about joining rigid to hose.

Website
e3steve   
Mon Jul 15 2019, 04:36pm
Look on the bright side: not much’ll go rusty, thereabouts...

I’d be cautious about attaching hose to hardpipe without a swage, but, that said, it seems to have worked with that reinforced PVC! Perhaps the PAS pressures aren’t as high as we might expect.

PVC will, of course, soften as the fluid and ambient temperatures rise, and it still held onto the pipe.
rwb   
Tue Jul 16 2019, 07:52pm
Member No: #1988
I've asked all over and I'm convinced that there's something I'm not being told about joining solid and hose.

I was expecting to see something like flare, olive, and some sort of a fitting. But nobody is admitting to anything. It must be a secret.

It's on the power steering return so the volume will be high compared to the suspension, but the pressure will be low.
Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club