C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Doors - removal & refitting

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sotweedfactor   
Fri Jan 25 2019, 02:15pm
Member No: #2185
Oh dear, I've managed to dent the two doors on the LH of my car.

Does anyone have any experience of removing / refitting doors and any tips/techniques to offer concerning the process?

In particular, I'm keen to get an idea of
* if it's easy to release the door stay from its pillar - looks like you just pull back the rubber boot and release a couple of TORX screws.
* how heavy the doors are. Front? Back? 1 or 2-man job?
* how best to support the doors when removing/refitting
* how easy it is, when refitting, to align and replace the hinge pins

With thanks, Eric
Paulius   
Wed Jun 12 2019, 06:25am
Member No: #1821
No one bothered to reply.
321dave   
Wed Jun 12 2019, 02:14pm
Member No: #614
Paulius wrote ...

No one bothered to reply.

Hi Paulius,
are you referring to the last post? or had you a question? Pity, if I had noticed the subject, I would have replied sooner. I must of missed it a few month back.

regards
David

I was wondering about the door issue myself, as I have always had a misaligned rear or possibly front door issue and it is strangely out at the bottom like a tired mechanic fitted it on his own(not easy I think unless you're equipped with special trolleys.

Paulius   
Sun Jun 23 2019, 12:53pm
Member No: #1821
Well, I have a similar problem - someone bend my two doors. My idea is that perhaps just changing the doors out of a parted out C6 (without disasembling them - with speakers, glass and all) of the same colour could be easier than doing the paintjob.

For me it seems that it shouldn't be too hard to remove the doors themselves. What I am concerned with is whether everything's gonna work without some sort of 'repairing'. For example, front passenger's side door - is it enough to just connect it up, and all of the seat/window controls would just work?
sotweedfactor   
Mon Jun 24 2019, 02:19pm
Member No: #2185
In my case I considered the job too difficult/strenuous for 1 person. So I acquired two doors, in the correct colour, from a breakers. Often the breakers will have stripped the interior glass, panels, motors etc. I took the car and the doors to B L Autos and they changed them over quite quickly including all of the ancillaries. I appreciate, Paulius, that this is not possible for you since you are some distance away, in Vilnius! I got the impression that it was a simple case of just unplug/re-plug the electrics for the doors - but I'm not 100% certain. Eric
cruiserphil   
Mon Jun 24 2019, 05:30pm

Member No: #38
Hello Paulius,

I remember changing an XM driver's door. Like Eric (Softweedfactor) I got a door from a breaker which was stripped of fittings. This made the door light and easy to handle. I took off the original door with everything on it and it was very heavy. So if you don't have assistance, it would be better to strip the doors of heavy items before removing and fitting.

Best regards,

Phil .
keithc   
Mon Jul 01 2019, 02:11pm
Member No: #2584

In Ireland we have a solid fuel (compressed peat) in a bale and I have found that 2 bales side by side with a second row on top is usually perfect for taking doors off cars! And they are handy in that the have a ridge that I can line up with the door and let it sit in. I've put/taken numerous doors on/off cars and it makes the job a lot easier.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club