C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Adjusting C6 suspension height

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Sat May 25 2019, 09:58am
Member No: #954
My impression: The C6 is the best Citroen ever on normal good roads, both the very advanced suspension and low noise is important. There is also a nice soft DS-like character: Over some problem roads it will behave a litte boat-like, softly over a wave. But: The magic from the DS and CX is not there: The behaviour over deep (not sharp) holes and silent police, The feeling of "the faster, the better" and absolutely feeling different from ordinary cars are not there. The XM was in between. I think the problem is the restricted ability for suspension movement in the PSA platforms (XM/C5/C6) compared to the genuine Citroen DS/CX with much larger space for suspension movement (maybe someone have measurements ?). On this website there are lots of discussions pointing to the importance of maintenance and adjustment for the C6 (spheres, height adjustment, no play in any links etc), so it might be a nervous system. The combination of Hydractive 3+ , AMVAR and advanced multilink system should be a success formula, and the motor press was enthusiastic (and the Top Gear video) or is it too complicated for its own good .. ?. My experience started in 1980 and are DS23, CX T, XM V6 and now C6 (600 000 km in total)
Nikola   
Mon Jun 03 2019, 06:11pm
Member No: #3613
I have question about height setting relevant highs. Does engine work during the seating or not?
cruiserphil   
Tue Jun 04 2019, 09:47am

Member No: #38
Hello Nikola,

No need for engine, just ignition on.

Best regards,

Phil C.
ul9601   
Tue Jun 04 2019, 06:30pm
Member No: #1975
I ran my engine, with garage door open - diesel exhaust smell was terrible... x(
e3steve   
Sat Jun 15 2019, 04:12pm
Member No: #1163
ul9601 wrote ...

I ran my engine, with garage door open - diesel exhaust smell was terrible... x(

2.7s absolutely stink (exhaust fumes). First thing I noticed when I brought my ‘3’ home: practically no exhaust stench. A very, very clean-burning DERV!

One of her previous MoT test advisories states, “emissions to(sic) clean to regester(sic)”.
Tjensen   
Sun Jun 16 2019, 09:07pm
Member No: #954
My 3.0 Hdi has 165 000 km's and exhaust system ends /tail pipes/ still looks almost clean inside ! (but look at an Audi or VW.......)
321dave   
Mon Jun 17 2019, 07:59am
Member No: #614
Tjensen wrote ...

My 3.0 Hdi has 165 000 km's and exhaust system ends /tail pipes/ still looks almost clean inside ! (but look at an Audi or VW.......)

That's really interesting and it must be down to the chemistry of the C6 system with the newer 3.0hdi C6. We also have at home a LR4 Discovery for the family with the 3.0litre diesel and it stinks almost similar on startup to the 2.7hdi C6!!
It uses SCR technology (Selective Catalytic Reduction). It is part of an emissions control system that injects the AdBlue liquid through a special catalyst into the exhaust. Funny how this newer system smells the same as the much older Citroen system.

verycleverman   
Tue Jun 18 2019, 10:06pm
Member No: #65
I remember explaining the DPF to a tyre fitter as he fitted new tyres to my 2.2HDi C5 Estate, around 15 years ago. I demonstrated by wiping a clean, white cloth around the inside of the tailpipe. To his amazement, it came out clean!

Pete.
C6Marcy   
Fri Nov 13 2020, 07:25pm
Member No: #4417
ul9601 wrote ...

Kaloteck wrote ...

ul9601 wrote ...

compared to other hydropneumatic citroens, i found c6 ride pretty disappointing.

uhm… come on... how can it be?

Probably best if I re-phrase it - the ride is very good on smooth surfaced motorway type environment at high speed. But mid-low speed pottering around town with undulations/potholes/speed bumps, (granted they are not what C6 was designed for but you have to get to motorway from your home somehow) I found the ride harsh and uncomfortable compared to my other Cits - GSA, CX, XM and even C5.

Bit of a thread revival but this post has nailed my description of my car, am I expecting too much of my hydractive suspension around town or is there an issue with my car?

It's so hard to guage when you haven't owned a C6 from new
C6Marcy   
Sun Nov 22 2020, 07:03pm
Member No: #4417
I'm trying to understand the cause of my cars harsh ride around town

From what I've read there is only a small amount of adjustment (in millimeters) with regards to the height setup, but it seems if the car doesn't like the information it is being sent it will set AMVAR to hard to "save itself"

What is the car looking for to trigger this "safe mode" Are we talking the case of 1mm??
bijs   
Mon Nov 08 2021, 04:47pm
Member No: #3890
i'm trying to change the car height but in diagbox nor lexia i can change any values.
in lexia there is only acces to the bsi and read faultcodes
in diagbox i see all the values for height and can read all actual values but there isn't any way to change something.
am i in the wrong menu ? i prefer diagbox.
cruiserphil   
Tue Nov 09 2021, 10:14am

Member No: #38
Hello bijs,

It sounds like you could be in the wrong menu for height adjust.

Best regards,

Phil C.
bijs   
Tue Nov 09 2021, 02:21pm
Member No: #3890
i'll give it another try ....
ul9601   
Sat Nov 13 2021, 08:50am
Member No: #1975
C6Marcy wrote ...

ul9601 wrote ...

Kaloteck wrote ...

ul9601 wrote ...

compared to other hydropneumatic citroens, i found c6 ride pretty disappointing.

uhm… come on... how can it be?

Probably best if I re-phrase it - the ride is very good on smooth surfaced motorway type environment at high speed. But mid-low speed pottering around town with undulations/potholes/speed bumps, (granted they are not what C6 was designed for but you have to get to motorway from your home somehow) I found the ride harsh and uncomfortable compared to my other Cits - GSA, CX, XM and even C5.

Bit of a thread revival but this post has nailed my description of my car, am I expecting too much of my hydractive suspension around town or is there an issue with my car?

It's so hard to guage when you haven't owned a C6 from new

Talk about resurrection!
I've changed my spheres and it made zero difference.
I've also driven other C6s and they were the same. It should be able to cope well given my old C5 was pretty comfy around town as well as motorway speed.

CorneSoutAfrica   
Sat Nov 27 2021, 09:14pm
Member No: #2836
Nothing compares to a DS or a CX for that matter but in my opinion a C6 comes close, or closer to a DS than a X7 C5.... I just readjusted my C6 suspension heights. was too high in front and too low at the rear, possibly that is why she was so perfectly floaty albeit twitchy at the rear. I will testdrive tomorrow and feel the difference if there is any. Also, drive a normal sedan a week or so and get in the C6. the change is just sublime
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club