Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
rwb   
Thu May 09 2019, 10:04am
Member No: #1988
Hi,

Bought a C6 this morning!

Within 20 miles it had dropped all the power steering fluid. Steering is very heavy but it's drivable -- just as well as it had to do 50 miles into the office and it needs to do 150 miles home this evening.

I presume this also means the suspension is out of action?

Is it Total Fluide DA it needs?
Any common or well leak points?
Website
MGmike   
Thu May 09 2019, 03:22pm
Member No: #3151
Hmm, if you don’t fix it you’ll end up needing a new power steering pump. Running it with no oil is certain to wreck the moving parts. Can you do a temp fix and get some LDS in?
Suspension should be okay unless you move in to the high position in which case a lack of LDS will cause the pump issues.
rwb   
Thu May 09 2019, 04:00pm
Even if I could get LDS I think it would just leak straight out.

What exactly is LDS?
Looks like it's _Total Fluide LDS_ and *not* Total Fluide DA?

After getting home this evening (hopefully!) it'll be going straight to my mechanic for this, cam belt and water pump, and gearbox oil change. (I have no service history.)

Also on the to do list:
* investigate thermostat housing and passenger side coolant pipe,
* change brake fluid
* filters: pollen, air, fuel, oil
* it may want a battery, but we'll see how keen it is to start after it's been left over the weekend...
* coolant level sensor retrofit
* tracking
* replace locking wheel bolts with normal ones
* some new wiper blades wouldn't hurt (is it 28"?)
* android tab project -- need to find an ELM327 that works with FAP
Website
rwb   
Fri May 10 2019, 08:56am
Well it got home.

Pretty sure it left a puddle at the driver's side, I hear that the LDS tank and a hose underneath it are known culprits?
Website
rwb   
Tue May 21 2019, 08:20am
It took 3L of LDS before it appeared in the top of the cap.

This is what's leaked out 12 hours later: slightly forward of the front driver's wheel and slightly behind the front passenger wheel, although it'll be dripping off the undertray rather than directly down.
Website
eke   
Tue May 21 2019, 03:18pm
Member No: #624
Top of the cap ??

There is too much LDS, if you see it at the bottom of filling hole when the car is in its lowest position.
MGmike   
Tue May 21 2019, 08:13pm
rwb wrote ...

It took 3L of LDS before it appeared in the top of the cap.

This is what's leaked out 12 hours later: slightly forward of the front driver's wheel and slightly behind the front passenger wheel, although it'll be dripping off the undertray rather than directly down.

If you look in the tech section there's a document covering the pipework which should give you an idea where to look.

That said; it looks like one problem is in the LDS tank area and another in the pipework near the bulkhead on the NS (unless it's all off the under tray). If you do have a pipework problem near the bulkhead it's going to be a right bitch to fix.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

rwb   
Tue May 21 2019, 09:14pm
It looks like the bulkhead pipe is flexible hose with a steel section at each end and is about £550 from Citroen.

The fittings on the ends look non-standard, but could you splice in a new section of hose?

So apparently topping up the LDS requires Diagbox?!
Website
MGmike   
Tue May 21 2019, 10:19pm
That picture is a suspension pipe not the power steering.

You won't be able to splice the hose due to the pressures involved. If you can get the pipe off without damaging the metal sections you could try these guys
- Click Here - to get new rubber sections fitted.

Otherwise it's new or used (if you can find one).

cruiserphil   
Wed May 22 2019, 09:20am

Member No: #38
Hello rwb,

The hydraulic system needs to be depressurised to ensure the LDS is at the correct level. Diagbox or Lexia is the easiest way. But there is a manual procedure as well.

Best regards,

Phil C.
rwb   
Wed May 22 2019, 10:19am
Just spotted these guys: - Click Here -
Website
rwb   
Fri May 24 2019, 09:17pm
We have a leak.

That's this evening, and it's appeared since Wednesday afternoon.

It hasn't started or moved in that time.

So where could that coming from then at the passenger side?
Website
rwb   
Sat May 25 2019, 10:42am
I think it's the power steering pipes.
- Click Here -
Website
MGmike   
Sat May 25 2019, 06:18pm
yep, looks like someone has been in there before you as that pipe is non-standard. You need to get it up in the air and the under tray off for a proper look. The good news is its the return line which is low pressure and should be easily repairable with some decent hose of the correct size.
rwb   
Wed May 29 2019, 12:22pm
Upon further inspection of the cardboard I'd say there's a leak at the front which is that power steering pipe, and maybe another one further back. However, nothing more has leaked out at the back since this photograph.

New starter motor fitted (found a new mobile mechanic as my current one is retiring), so it now starts which feels like a massive achievement.

Obviously the LDS is low; the suspension didn't move. Can hear gurgling in the tank, very faintly in the cabin.

Hopefully it will now limp to my former Citroen tech (although I'd prefer the replacement front indicator to arrive before taking in on the road)...
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club