Hope to be a new owner!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
CorneSoutAfrica   
Sun Apr 21 2019, 07:40pm
Member No: #2836
Hello everyone.

My name is Corne I am from South Africa. I'm contemplating to import a C6 to my country as they were never available here. I have narrowed it down to two candidates.

My two must haves was beige interior and a V6 engine. Fortunately both are in my criteria. A friend has been kind enough to check out the one car (which I think I will settle with) that I am looking at. I know it is a difficult child and to be honest I am not too scared, I do own classic Citroen DS's aswell as a Mk1 C5 V6 petroland a C4 VTS coupe 180. I restore Citroen SM's so I guess I might add to the difficult bunch.

The C6 (both) is a 2.7HDI V6. I checked the MOT history and saw it had a few failing front suspension bushes and tierod ends. Is that a weakpoint on them? I might mention the Tax disc expired Sept 2017.

What should I look out for enginewise? Are they robust? Turbo's good? She has 107000miles on the clock. I noticed that on the MOT sheet the car had a MOT advisory in 2016 at around 100000miles it failed with inner lower suspension bushes worn, it went back a month later and passed but with a warning that the odo was reading zero miles..... could that be a system glitch or was there tampering, a year later at 107000 the MOT was done and, well, it showed 107000 miles on the odo.

My last question, was the engine also used in the land rover discovery 3? I ask this because in a pinch that I might need an oil filter can I go to a landrover dealership? I will be left at my own because the C6 was never imported to South Africa.

Well this is how far I am now, I am glad to be part of this group and hope in the future to be of help.

Any questions I should ask the dealership?

Kind regards
Corne
Tjensen   
Mon Apr 22 2019, 09:34am
Member No: #954
Many LandRovers with the 2,7 V6 in SA, so parts and repair possibilities should be good. Some small differences in oil sump and cooling system. Engine generally good, but plastic parts in cooling system, a cooling system steel tube and generator clutch fails early (on a 2006 these matters should be attended, or prepare to do it yourself) Bushes and joints in suspension, incl the struts, wear as in other cars (most parts similar to C5 series III, a lot on ebay). Turbo and EGR system as in other modern diesels: low quality fuel /oil and lack of maintenance give early problems. Use short oil change intervals and the right oil. Would be nice to have a C6 in SA, will tell my friends there about it.
CorneSoutAfrica   
Mon Apr 22 2019, 11:14am
Member No: #2836
Thanks for the reply Tjensen

Well my friend is checking out the car as we speak, one problem is that there is no service booklet which is always a worry. a bit of blemishes and fine scratches on the car and the cream interior is quite dirty! Seems to be things that can be cleaned and repaired.

Airconditioner is not working though...

Might be a bit of work to get her to where I want her to be....

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club