C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Coolant level sensor retrofit solved.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
HiPOL   
Mon Jul 24 2017, 10:03pm
Member No: #2699
I linked and translated vaho`s instructions on Polish Citroen enthusiasts forum and guess what we found ? People started installing it and some of them found original plug under coolant fluid reservoir. Early models has it originaly, just unpluged. People just put sensor in reservoir, pluged in original plug and it works.
If you have 2005 or early 2006 model - wires and plug could be already there...
e3steve   
Tue Jul 25 2017, 07:25am
Member No: #1163
gmerry wrote ...

No, the Peugeot Partner tank is too small (not enough expansion volume and reserve capacity) and won't have the connections for the TWO return bleed lines.

Keep looking.

regards

Here is the correct item (£20 plus shipping) - Click Here -

I think Sam's referring to the probe, Gerry...

Yer 'tis:

...and the cutout:

e3steve   
Tue Jul 25 2017, 07:27am
HiPOL wrote ...

I linked and translated vaho`s instructions on Polish Citroen enthusiasts forum and guess what we found ? People started installing it and some of them found original plug under coolant fluid reservoir. Early models has it originaly, just unpluged. People just put sensor in reservoir, pluged original plug and it works.
If you have 2005 or early 2006 model - wires and plug could be already there...

My 2.7 was registered March 2006, but no such luck!
ul9601   
Tue Jul 25 2017, 08:56am
Member No: #1975
gmerry wrote ...

No, the Peugeot Partner tank is too small (not enough expansion volume and reserve capacity) and won't have the connections for the TWO return bleed lines.

Keep looking.

regards

I was talking about the sensor (well, buy the whole thing and transplant the sensor) - is there disadvantage to that approach? The only thing I can think of is that once the sensor is removed, the seal (assuming there is one) would no longer be pliable to do the job on the new tank?
e3steve   
Wed Jul 26 2017, 05:40pm
ul9601 wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...

Keep looking.

regards

I was talking about the sensor (well, buy the whole thing and transplant the sensor) - is there disadvantage to that approach? The only thing I can think of is that once the sensor is removed, the seal (assuming there is one) would no longer be pliable to do the job on the new tank?

The P407/C6 probe has an O-ring fitted, and it seals by seating in the recess (see my second image in one of the previous posts). You just turn the sensor -90deg then pull it out.

The length would be important. Too long and it may bottom out; too short and you'd end up getting false alarms.
ul9601   
Wed Jul 26 2017, 07:12pm
Member No: #1975
Steve, what I was wondering was whether the seal would be still serviceable once removed. The cooling system rubbers tend to harden and become brittle over age and heat cycle, I'm concerned the sealing on the new tank might be compromised (that said, I could use a generic seal (O-ring type I'm guessing) with the same dimensions and hope for the best)
e3steve   
Thu Jul 27 2017, 06:25am
ul9601 wrote ...

Steve, what I was wondering was whether the seal would be still serviceable once removed. The cooling system rubbers tend to harden and become brittle over age and heat cycle, I'm concerned the sealing on the new tank might be compromised (that said, I could use a generic seal (O-ring type I'm guessing) with the same dimensions and hope for the best)

I've removed the sensor from mine countless times, Sam, and the O-ring still seals perfectly.
Limone   
Mon Jul 31 2017, 12:29pm
Member No: #2446
Vaho,
thanks very much for your accurate and detailed information. I am also somewhat worried about a cooling system failure, especially on the long runs I usually make, so I was very pleased with your description.

I easily sourced the sensor, plug and pins and fitted the system into my 2012 3 litre HDI. It didn't work right away as you supposed it could, so I took my Lexia to change the coolant level sensor option to "present".

However......surprise, surprise! The option was nowhere to be found. Not in the ...driver information...(1), nor anywhere else.

Unless someone with a more profound knowledge of Citroen's ways can correct me, I assume they deleted the option out of the software for the later cars.

Anyway it might be a good idea for anyone thinking of fitting the system also to first look in Lexia whether the option exists there.

I will change to the connection with the oil pressure sensor to have a warning indication anyway, but it certainly is a disappointment it will not be as neat as the dedicated coolant level warning you worked out. (Regardless from the fact that you never hope to see it ).

Regards

vaho   
Tue Aug 01 2017, 08:00pm
Member No: #2228
Thank you Limone
One thing I might try is to use Diagbox instead of Lexia. You have the newest C6 and maybe there is some problems with the dialog with the older Lexia. It is somewhat hard to believe that they removed the option from the software completely.
Limone   
Sat Aug 05 2017, 06:57pm
Member No: #2446
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried with Diagbox today but unfortunately also there no coolant level sensor option.
cruiserphil   
Mon Mar 04 2019, 08:26pm

Member No: #38
Many thanks Vaho,

After having the parts on the shelf for some time, peace of mind at last - for the 2.7HDi at least!

I haven't fitted to the 3.0HDi yet as I have discovered the same issue as Limone. However, I will post on this in the 3.0HDi section and look forward to any suggestions/guidance.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Trainman   
Tue Mar 05 2019, 05:43am

Member No: #86
Random Idea, but has anyone thought of looking in Peugeot Planet? could there be an option under the 407?

I'll have a word with DHallworth later and see if he can find anything on his Coupe.
David Hallworth   
Wed Mar 27 2019, 10:41pm

Member No: #90
I'm here

Funnily enough this has hit my radar again today as there's a slight weep on the thermostat housing on the 407 Coupe.

After speaking to Phil on Facebook, curiosity got the better of me and I went with Peugeot Planet and Diagbox and there is definitely no option to enable the low coolant alarm on the 3.0 HDi.

One thing I did find though... the 3.0 HDi has an option for a Water in Diesel sensor that is set to disabled. I can enable this using Diagbox so I'm now on the hunt to see if I can find which pins of the fusebox the water in diesel sensor would be connected to and if the coolant level sensor will give the same type of signal.

David.
David Hallworth   
Sun Mar 31 2019, 10:07pm

Member No: #90
I did a bit more digging today but to interrogate the 3.0 HDI ECU I need to use Diagbox rather then Lexia and I can't find an option in Diagbox to get the fuse box pin outs as Vaho did on the 2.7 using Lexia.

I'm trying to source a wiring diagram for the 3.0 HDi and will go from there.

David.
rwb   
Sun May 12 2019, 08:53am
Member No: #1988
Was just thinking that: a whole tank with sensor from a 407. Maybe some loom too?
Website
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club