Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Returning to Fold, absent since the eighties.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Willieverlearn   
Sun Mar 24 2019, 11:43pm
Member No: #3868
Hi All,

I've just bought a C6. I'd resisted long enough.

As a young lad in my twenties I fell for the DS when there were still some on UK roads, I had four of them, none of them with a Happy Ending, but that's youth and ignorance for you.

I've a few eighties and early nineties cars to potter in, but I thought I'd just take a chance on car with a few problems for what I thought was reasonable money - there are two schools of thought in the Household on this matter.

I've hardly done more than surface scratching research - Man Research, perhaps. Similar to Man-Maths when you buy a car, then when you sell it forget that you've put four tyres on it, a re-con head, a new alternator and spent another few hundred here and there, you simply remember the purchase price and deduct the sale price, and there you go, you've made fifty quid. I think Man Research is like normal research, which you have to do when you've purchased, but in this instance, the horror stories are not looked deeper into, you just look for the positive posts thinking none of the problems can ever happen to you, and if they do, it's an easy DIY fix.

Anyway, I'd bought on eBay so wasn't going to not buy when I turned up.

I'd already been told it juddered and then stalled at low rev's when warm - knocking it into Neutral stops this, but the lack of any heating was a surprise, just cold air and none too fast either.
No, what really took me back to the DS days was the soaking boot!

Happy Days,

Cheers,

Paul

Trainman   
Mon Mar 25 2019, 06:28am

Member No: #86
Paul,

Man Research: Yep, still do it even now.

Lack of heating: Suspect broken heater flap.

Juddering: Suspect EGR valve (need to get a lexia on it really).

Boot: I'd suspect the boot seal or one of the taillights.

If you stuck, give me a shout I'm in Penwortham.
cruiserphil   
Mon Mar 25 2019, 09:47am

Member No: #38
Hello Paul,

It'll be all grand in the end!! As Steve has pointed out you should find answers in the forum.

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Mon Mar 25 2019, 12:42pm
Member No: #1163
Welcome, Paul! You’re almost certainly in for a rough ride, but don’t let that deter you.

Boot water: prise out both of the oval(ish) plastic plugs in the wheel well. I’ve left those out of mine, but as a 3 she has a transverse exhaust box that more or less prevents any upwash into the well.

When it rains, does the plastic channel covering the boot lip show signs of having filled up? If so, it’s likely to be the boot spoiler seal; the water gets in there and runs aft and down the inside of the lid lining, then exits into that lip trough.

FraserG   
Mon Mar 25 2019, 08:01pm
Member No: #2011
Hi Paul,

Love the Man-Research and Man-Maths which my wife would agree with. I think to own a C6 you need to be an optimist which luckily I am. Sadly my wife carries the burden of pessimism (she would say realism) which I barely notice. Keeps me a contented and happy C6 owner.

Enjoy the ride, Fraser
Willieverlearn   
Wed Mar 27 2019, 10:36pm
Hi,

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome and advice.

Every nervous mile makes me a little more smitten. It's like the girl you really shouldn't have anything to do with. The one where you know your Dad is right, but what does he know? I really do feel for anyone who's not had a quirky-car experience before and starts with a C6.

Since Sunday I've had it up and down the M65 a few times; what a turn of speed, and so much more noticeable because you don't notice it!

The visibility is positively panoramic, the driving position, the magic carpet....well, I'm preaching to the converted.

The only thing I've dropped as quickly as the Navidrive guide was my first, (and only),[+ book of Log Tables, though I did manage the Handbook, on the strength of which, (just one read, to date - in fact I'll mention that never in my life have I ever seen a Handbook this well-thumbed, so much so that the first twenty pages are now loose-leaf), I pressed a few buttons. The parking sensors don't seem to work - no light on multiple pressing of the button. I also pressed the lane change warning without wondering how I'd be warned, quite a shock at 80mph, I thought I blown a tyre! I hadn't realised that there was a spoiler, I thought I was losing the boot. I do remember having the bonnet of a D Special flip open on me in 1982, that certainly woke me up. My Mum had my Levi's on boil-wash twice. What a noise it made, crumpled like a Kleenex. On the D subject, I remember leaving Hunstanton one foggy day and there were definitely four wings when I started, but when I pulled up in Preston, there was only one at the back - very flimsy, 1970's steel.

I've had a bit more time to study the stalling. The car will creep with no pedal activity, no problem, but as soon the foot brake is applied it stalls. I've tried it with the handbrake stop and it's chugs on longer, but it chugs, rev's drop to around 400. It's also a hard start, sometimes ten or more seconds - that's a long time, even when warm. Cold start is shorter, but very lumpy until warm.

When I brought it back this afternoon and had to stop when parking to make sure I missed an obstacle, the car stalled, I restarted, a long ten seconds, parked it and looked at the floor where I'd stalled and there was a couple of large puddles, one where I'd stopped and another where I'd reversed back six inches. Not drips, more of a flow. Not oil, but viscous and reddish.
I put a white sheet of card under the car when I'd parked it and there was a drip-puddle, about 2 cm circumference, suggesting that what ever comes out evacuates under pressure, perhaps?

Could I ask, is it normal for both front seatbelts to be dappled with mould and black spots?

Once again, thanks for the good information and welcome, you've made me feel less alone!

Cheers,

Paul

David Hallworth   
Wed Mar 27 2019, 11:22pm

Member No: #90
The stalling and jerkiness when warm sounds more like torque convertor problems to me. I would get the gearbox oil changed 3 times in fairly quick succession if you're having problems as it's probably never been changed before.

That might improve it significantly so long as there's no other damage been done.

David.
Willieverlearn   
Thu Mar 28 2019, 11:37am

This is this morning following the heavy dripping under pressure. It couldn't just be a/c condo picking up some old fluid en-route? I have no dash warning and it was dripping at a/c speed, though.
The height of mantomism, perhaps?
Thanks for the tip, I'll get it flushed. Refilled three times or flushed once, which is best?
Thanks,
Paul
MGmike   
Thu Mar 28 2019, 09:23pm
Member No: #3151
Hmm, that looks like engine coolant to me. You'll need to keep a close eye on the level in the expansion tank and find the source before it goes too far.

I can think of a few potential suspects e.g. every bit of plastic in the cooling system!

good luck
Willieverlearn   
Fri Mar 29 2019, 01:03am
I thought it felt like a coolant mix, not oily, but faintly sticky - but not.
Could a leak in the system be linked to the lack of heating?
Cheers,
Paul
PS who's able to work on the more complex bits in the North West?
verycleverman   
Fri Mar 29 2019, 09:57am
Member No: #65
Willieverlearn wrote ...

PS who's able to work on the more complex bits in the North West?

You won't do much better than Rigbye's in Eccleston.

Pete.
Trainman   
Fri Mar 29 2019, 04:06pm

Member No: #86
Rigbye’s is the “go to dealer” in the North West, there’s also Leo at NFC Autocare in Thornton Cleaveys, both Leo and his dad run C6’s.

It could also be worth getting in on a Lexia/Diagbox the see what/if there’s anything else lurking
e3steve   
Sat Mar 30 2019, 09:43am
Willieverlearn wrote ...

This is this morning following the heavy dripping under pressure. It couldn't just be a/c condo picking up some old fluid en-route? I have no dash warning and it was dripping at a/c speed, though.
The height of mantomism, perhaps?
Thanks for the tip, I'll get it flushed. Refilled three times or flushed once, which is best?
Thanks,
Paul
That’s coolant. Waaayyy too clean to be ASW from the ‘box...

Can you smell it under the bonnet when the engine’s hot? Coolant has a distinctive sweet, sickly pong.

Advice: you must find the source and you must stop it leaking.

Remove the undertray and run the engine...
e3steve   
Sat Mar 30 2019, 10:06am
Seatbelts: yes, if the car’s been stood, unused, for a long spell. Search for Simon’s (Freaky French Fan) cleaning tutorial; worked a treat on my cream-coloured belts!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club