Steering Rack leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Jensen   
Mon Mar 18 2019, 09:24am
Member No: #3864
Hello!

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I bought my c6 a couple of years ago and so far it has given more than a fair share of trouble.

The car has been sitting in my garage, for about a year, waiting for me to get my inspriration back to get the car sorted.

Before I parked it it had developed a coolant leak from somewhere. A couple of weekends ago I got around to start working on it. It turned out that the leak came from a cracked thermostat housing. Got that replaced and started the car only to see hydraulic fluid all over the garage floor. The tank emptied in only a couple of minutes.

After removing the right front wheel (LHD car) I saw a thin but high pressure squirt coming out from the bottom of the steering rack on the right hand side, just on the opposite side of where the right hand side, high pressure connection pipe is located.

The leakage does not seem to come from the connection, but from at hole on the down-side of the rack.

Does anyone know what this hole is? Is it some kind of pressure valve or a draining valve. I can’t really see anything but a square hole….

When the picture was taken i had turned the engine off so the fluid is pooring slowly, but with the engine on it was high pressure.

Regards Jens

Tjensen   
Mon Mar 18 2019, 06:08pm
Member No: #954
A quite usual problem is leak in the tubing, part no 4014LK (expensive)
Jensen   
Mon Mar 18 2019, 08:09pm
Ok, thanks. I am supposing it is an internal tube - inside the rack?

So the rack will have to come out, which seems like a big job...
Jensen   
Tue Apr 02 2019, 02:41pm
I have been looking for a tutorial for removing the steering rack, but can't seem to find any. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about it?

Regards, Jens
cruiserphil   
Wed Apr 03 2019, 03:07pm

Member No: #38
Hello Jens,

What type car do you have 2.2, 2.7, 3.0?

Best regards,

Phil C.
Jensen   
Thu Apr 04 2019, 07:43am
Hi Phil,

It is the 2.7

Regards, Jens

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club