C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 2.7 Inlet Flap vacuum motor vacuum Pipes

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Wed Mar 06 2019, 10:48am
Member No: #2793
In the course of wrestling with my glow plugs, inevitably had to move about many of the vacuum pipes running over the top of the engine. These are the ones that run across the top of the bulkhead side inlet manifiold to a control valve and feed the vacuum motors at the end of each inlet manifold.

Found after moving them that pretty much every internal plastic joining part was broken. Heat and age, I guess, but either way, absolute junk. I don't think this was just the result of me moving them on this occasion, so likely duff for a while.

Can't say I had noticed any difference in not having the inlet manifold flaps working, but if you are keen they should it may be worth checking these pipes along their length.

Mike.
321dave   
Wed Mar 06 2019, 11:20am
Member No: #614
onthecut wrote ...

In the course of wrestling with my glow plugs, inevitably had to move about many of the vacuum pipes running over the top of the engine. These are the ones that run across the top of the bulkhead side inlet manifiold to a control valve and feed the vacuum motors at the end of each inlet manifold.

Found after moving them that pretty much every internal plastic joining part was broken. Heat and age, I guess, but either way, absolute junk. I don't think this was just the result of me moving them on this occasion, so likely duff for a while.

Can't say I had noticed any difference in not having the inlet manifold flaps working, but if you are keen they should it may be worth checking these pipes along their length.

Mike.

Thanks for the good tip Mike, I also replaced the whole lot a few years back when I replaced the coolant pipes as well. I guess the heat isn't good for plastic piping over time. I believe a forum member G (gmerry) replaced these vacuum pipes with what I think was copper brake pipes or something similar like that?

kind regards
Dave
cruiserphil   
Wed Mar 06 2019, 04:11pm

Member No: #38
Hello 321 Dave,

I used 4mm compressed air tubing to replace mine. The disturbance of the timing belt job put an end to a few of the originals.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club