C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Suspension fault - Clock Spring

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
AusC6   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 11:54am
Member No: #1000
My 2006 C6 has been displaying a "suspension fault" on the screen for quite some time, but it doesn't appear to have any effect on the actual handling. A dealer told me it is the clock spring and the part cost alone here in Australia is quoted as $1800. Can anyone help me with a Part Number or possible supplier, because we pay an enormous premium for parts in Aus compared to the UK. (I was previously quoted $750 for the cruise control buttons by Citroen Aus which I purchased (genuine part) in UK for $95!!) The VIN number is VF7TDXFVJ78000685. Thanks, Chris
MGmike   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 06:43pm
Member No: #3151
that's a good one

Can't think of any suspension clock or where that would be fitted and it has a spring?
I think I smell bull .

ask for the error codes and fault description and come back for a proper diagnosis...

best of luck, it sounds like you'll need it with a dealer like that.
AusC6   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 08:08pm
Thanks MGmike, but it may not be that simple.
The diagnosis was made by the computer of the official Citroen dealer and it is my understanding the "clock spring" sits in behind the steering wheel and records the steering angle and other functions including the air bag connection for the computer.
I am not getting an air bag fault and the in-car screen message is just "Suspension Fault". I will ask for the error code when next at the dealer, but as that is a 250km round trip (we live in the country) it won't be for a while

In the meantime, if anyone can help with a part number (or other suggestion) it would be appreciated.

The C6 adventure continues!

Tjensen   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 10:30pm
Member No: #954
"Steering wheel angle" faults are so common they are a sign of normal C6 and garages usually don't worry abut them (but suspension fault messages are something else ??)
MGmike   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 10:46pm
AusC6 wrote ...

The diagnosis was made by the computer of the official Citroen dealer and it is my understanding the "clock spring" sits in behind the steering wheel and records the steering angle and other functions including the air bag connection for the computer.
I am not getting an air bag fault and the in-car screen message is just "Suspension Fault". I will ask for the error code when next at the dealer, but as that is a 250km round trip (we live in the country) it won't be for a while

I'm shocked a dealer doesn't know that all C5's & C6's report a steering angle fault in the error log. As said above, ignore it.

It also sounds like the dealer is looking in the wrong part of the error logs!!!

Given the distance to a (poor) dealer you should invest in a lexia to do your own trouble shooting. They are now very reasonably priced and will pay for it's self many times over by the time you drive to the dealer and back a few times.
AusC6   
Tue Feb 26 2019, 08:12am
AusC6   
Tue Feb 26 2019, 08:21am
"MGmike wrote: Given the distance to a (poor) dealer you should invest in a lexia to do your own trouble shooting. They are now very reasonably priced and will pay for it's self many times over by the time you drive to the dealer and back a few times."

Is there any particular model of lexia you would recommend?
ul9601   
Tue Feb 26 2019, 10:14am
Member No: #1975
MGmike wrote ...

AusC6 wrote ...

I'm shocked a dealer doesn't know that all C5's & C6's report a steering angle fault in the error log. As said above, ignore it.

It also sounds like the dealer is looking in the wrong part of the error logs!!!

Given the distance to a (poor) dealer you should invest in a lexia to do your own trouble shooting. They are now very reasonably priced and will pay for it's self many times over by the time you drive to the dealer and back a few times.

You have no idea how lucky you are in the UK when it comes to C6 ownership...
MGmike   
Tue Feb 26 2019, 06:55pm
I bought mine from China a loooong time ago and I see they've dropped in price considerably!

Found this on eBay AU
- Click Here -

You'll need an old laptop running xp or win7 or be a an IT wiz who can run a Virtual system! I had one lying around from years back that was pressed in to service and has not let me down (so far). If you don't have one you should be able to pick one up off the Bay for a $100 or so.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club