Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Just about to buy.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Tonkerdog   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 06:30am
Member No: #3836
Hello all

I’m new to Citroen, and have been eyeing a C6 for a few years now. With my fiftieth birthday looming and regular commute to Belgium in a Fiat 500!, now is the perfect time to treat myself.

My greatest hurdle is my wife, who’s dead set on getting another Mercedes. I’m dead set on not spending £15-20,000 on a well equipped E class etc when I can get similar performance and luxury from a C6. Let alone not having to drive around in yet another German autobahn mole eater.

I’m going out this weekend to look at a couple of 2.7 Exclusive cars, and wondered if there’s any basics I should be looking or asking about. I’ve spent some time looking on the board and just need some top tips to ask the dealer.

Thanks in advance, and hope to meet some of you at the C6 meets, pending the wife of course.....
Davet49   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 11:04am
Member No: #3695
Hello Tonkerdog. I had wanted a big Citroen for years and finally decided to take the plunge back in December. Whilst there were plenty available on the market, I read the Autocar C6 article and contacted Danny at Wolsey Motors in Norfolk. He has quite a few for sale and knows them inside out. I bought a 59 plate 2.7 Exclusive from him with 55,000 miles on the clock and have been delighted with it. It has lived up to expectations and I have added 4,000 miles to it since buying it.

Dave
Davet49   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 11:07am
Member No: #3695
P.S. I should have added that I was worried that my wife might not approve, but she loves it and enjoys driving it.

Dave
verycleverman   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 12:13pm
Member No: #65
Hello Tonkerdog, and welcome.
Providing you choose a reputable dealer and obtain some form of warranty, you should be fine. I, too, visited Danny at Wolsey Motors and was very impressed with him. His prices are above market rate but he knows all the things that are likely to go wrong and replaces all suspect parts before sale. As a result, his prices could be considered fair. Unfortunately, he didn't have a car to meet my requirements when I was looking so I bought privately. I would recommend that you decide what you are going to use the car for as most of the Exclusives had the lounge pack fitted - a boon for the rear seat passengers but no use if you want to carry anything large as the back seat does not fold down.
Good luck with your search.

Pete.
Tonkerdog   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 01:33pm
Thanks everyone. I’ll check him out. I used to buy Saab’s but alas that’s over, and I always used to buy from enthusiasts that charged a bit extra but was always well worth it.

Cheers.

ps just driving back fro Liège Belgium again!
Tonkerdog   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 01:42pm
Ok one more thing, and this is going to be a wife hurdle. If I get a 2007 model I understand it won’t have Bluetooth connection installed. Is there a way of neatly installing Bluetooth without having to buy the SIM card option.

I spend a lot of time abroad, and have two SIM cards in my phone at anyone time. I don’t want one of the nasty Parrot things sticking out of the dash either.

Regards in advance

Chris
verycleverman   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 02:36pm
Tonkerdog wrote ...

I spend a lot of time abroad, and have two SIM cards in my phone at anyone time. I don’t want one of the nasty Parrot things sticking out of the dash either.

Mine has a Parrot installed by a previous owner and I expected it to be a boon but I must say I'm not a fan. I have a twin sim phone and the Parrot latches onto both of them without a problem but I seldom receive calls, and even less often make them, so it's not really an issue for me. Being retired, I don't get business calls and a good percentage of calls are NHS reminders for appointments, which require using the keypad for responding - impossible with the Parrot.
The other way around the problem is to use the sim card slot and set your phone to forward calls to the car sim.
Personally, I carry the wife and she operates the phone!

Pete.
Tonkerdog   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 03:29pm
Thank you. I'm sure I can find a subtle solution.

Regards Chris
ul9601   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 08:21pm
Member No: #1975
Tonkerdog wrote ...
...I’m new to Citroen...

Tonkerdog wrote ...
...I’m dead set on not spending £15-20,000 on a well equipped E class etc when I can get similar performance and luxury from a C6....

Hi,
I don't want to put you off but based on the above, I'm not sure if you know what you are getting yourself into.
C6 is a unique and mostly nice car (when everything is going well), but it is not a great car (by that I mean it is merely a good car at best) and it is definitely flawed. You need to spend some time with the car and get over its gorgeous looks before making a decision IMHO.
I enjoyed mine for 2 & 1/2 years before moving on but I did have a few issues sorted out (which were common C6 issues, well documented in the forum).
Good luck all the same.
Norman   
Fri Feb 22 2019, 11:18pm
Member No: #364
The simple way I found was to forward my mobile no to the car phone I can then receive car phone calls and my mobil calls.
Tonkerdog   
Sat Feb 23 2019, 02:09am
Thanks for the advice.

I’m not going into this with rose tinted glasses that it’ll be as reliable as a brand new Honda, but I’d rather put up with a few infrequent flawes than sit in a dull emotionless box like most cars seem to be now.

And as I’m not intending to spend £15,000 on an E class now, I’ve got a few quid to replace the inevitable repairs. The wife says yes by the way so that’s a good job done at least.

Cheers
verycleverman   
Sat Feb 23 2019, 11:19pm
Congratulations, you won't regret it. I talked my wife into our first C6 and she talked me into the second and third!

Pete.
Tonkerdog   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 12:37am
Thanks very much. We used to lived in Corbridge and my mother in law lives in Redesmouth.
verycleverman   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 11:33am
Tonkerdog wrote ...

Thanks very much. We used to lived in Corbridge and my mother in law lives in Redesmouth.

That's a bit south for us, we're on the border with Scotland, with our nearest supermarkets 12 miles in either direction, so we don't do short runs. However, it's the most beautiful region for touring around and the roads are pretty much empty.

Pete.
Tonkerdog   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 01:02pm
Just one more question folks, and I listened to your advice as to where to buy a C6 from. I’ve seen a few cars I want and as usual being a novice I’ve just got autotrader and Ebay to look at.

The garage you all sudgested sells what I’m looking for at £6,500, and I’ve seen similar and in the colour I want at £4,500 on a forecourt. Similar mileage, full service history.

Now I accept extra work could have been done by said garage, but £2,000 can buy me a lot of garage work.

This is the non Wolsey House Motors.

- Click Here -

I’ve only posted this link so as to gain your advice on it.

This is the Wolsey House model.

- Click Here -

Not a bad colour by any means, but it is a third more expensive! Now I have the money but having £2,000 in the mechanical fund would really help. Any ideas folks

If I’ve broken any rules I’m sorry about that, but please understand it’s done so just to attain advice.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club