C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 hdi engine knocking noise when warm

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
c5user   
Wed Nov 28 2018, 11:34am
Member No: #3747
Hello everyone. I was searching for similar issues. I have a C5 3.0Hdi. I have had replaced engine few years ago (at 120kkm), with a very much the same sound as the creator of this thread Rabenson. When cold, the engine was quiet, when warmed it rattled very much the same. The result was a loose crankshaft with a large amount of axial movement. That was diagnosed by having a pulley cover damaged by a pulley and then we removed the oil sump bottom cover to see the internals and tried to move the crankshaft and there was quite an axial movement. I guess it was the bearing issue or so. I was not doing any highway speeding or so, I never ran the car more than like 180km/h for a short period of time and I almost never used sport mode, just very occasionally for quick overtake. So the dealer replaced the whole engine. Fortunately the car was insured.

Now 4 years later and around 80kkm after, the engine is having a ticking/tapping sound when it warms up. Sort of very similar to Paulius. I was thinking it's an injector issue, but it is noticable even going down the hill without any power applied so it's not. I can hear that inside the car with no radio. Not really sure if this is related to cams or the crankshaft is again going loose. It does not sound that bad from outside, but I noticed that because few months before, the car had just a perfect clean sound compared to now.
C6-2006   
Sat Feb 23 2019, 04:00pm
Member No: #3743
Injector seal broken.

Paulius wrote ...

Finally a thread concerning tbe 2,7HDI sounds!

Mine sounds nice when cold, but when it's warm, it sounds like this:
- Click Here -
I think that it is a top-end tick or something related to cams/compensators. Also, there is this lower-frequency sound, that could be a fuel pump or something (?). I have no idea actually, ant it's quite annoying. Mechanics don't hear nothing.

However, I would say that this is a better sound than the one OPs engine produces... I would bet that it has something to do with low end..

321dave   
Sat Feb 23 2019, 06:44pm
Member No: #614
C6-2006 wrote ...

Injector seal broken.

Paulius wrote ...

Finally a thread concerning tbe 2,7HDI sounds!

Mine sounds nice when cold, but when it's warm, it sounds like this:
- Click Here -
I think that it is a top-end tick or something related to cams/compensators. Also, there is this lower-frequency sound, that could be a fuel pump or something (?). I have no idea actually, ant it's quite annoying. Mechanics don't hear nothing.

However, I would say that this is a better sound than the one OPs engine produces... I would bet that it has

something to do with low end..

Just wondering did you notice a diesel spill around the injector base? I had similar issue with a diesel C5. It was the chuffing sound that gave it away.
Paulius   
Sun Jun 23 2019, 10:06am
Member No: #1821
Well, my engine has developed the same sound as the OP’s. When warm, it clutters just like that on the low end.
I’ve heard that the oil pump wears out on these quickly. So I ordered a new one. But I’m starting to doubt that it’s going to solve anything at all.

Has anyone had any experiences regarding oil pumps?

I have to conclude, that the rumour is true. I think that it’s one of the very worst engines ever made. All the C6 that I’ve seen being parted out have had 2.7 engine problems. And mine taps loudly on the top end and clutters on the low end.
Paulius   
Sun Jun 23 2019, 01:13pm
Member No: #1821
Ron and 2silent, you didn't come back with what's been wrong with your engines!

Hopefully they are still around.
arconell3   
Tue Jun 25 2019, 12:52pm
Member No: #922
While reading this thread again, something else just crosses my mind. The C6's here with this knocking noise are 2.7's. Meaning they are well over 10 years old. Which means that if ot already done previously, a timing belt change is well overdue. I know of more than just a few cases where the timing belt tensioner failed, causing major engine damage. Even though the cause(s) of failure of that tensioner is(are) unclear, if it is not functioning properly anymore, it easily could lead to a jumping belt and ultimately to either the belt coming off completely or the valves hitting the pistons when the belt has jumped too far.

Anyway, if the belt (and tensioner) was never changed, change it now before it is too late. (in fact there are 2 belts, both have to be changed)

Regards, Robert
Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club