Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

Loud "blob" sound after installing xcarlink

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
madst   
Thu Feb 14 2019, 05:27pm
Member No: #3419
I have installed a xcarlink SKU707, and it worked perfectly immediately. Almost unbelievably easy to install.

But:

Now I experience a quite loud "blob" sound from the sound system when starting the engine. Some times it comes when I get into the car before starting the engine.

The sound is similar to when you disconnect the wiring on the back of the radio unit, if anyone ever tried that?

Even though the car is not fitted with a cd changer, the cd port was already occupied on the back of the radio. I removed that plug to add the xcarlink plug instead. I assume that should not have any influence on how the radio reacts then the engine starts?
Website
cruiserphil   
Fri Feb 15 2019, 09:47am

Member No: #38
Hello Madst,

One of our cars came with a USB unit in the glove box. We get the exact same "thump" from the speakers that you talk about when you unlock the car and the BSI comes live. Originally the USB unit was disconnected from the radio head when we bought the car. Perhaps the previous owner didn't like the noise.

I presume the XCarlink is powering up from a BSI mounted fuse holder which makes it turn on when you unlock the car even though you have not turned o the radio.

I fitted a dashcam to one of the cars and the power supply came with a clever jumper fuse arrangement. However I could not find any fuse in the passenger compartment fusebox that is powered from the ignition. The upper fuses are live off the battery and the BSI fuses come live when the BSI powers up. I checked the wiring diagrams and this is the arrangement. I didn't go to the trouble to find a power supply downstream of the ignition as I didn't want to start splicing into wires and the jumper fuse is very neat. So the dashcam powers up when you unlock the car/open the door and only switches off when the BSI shuts down.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Phil C.

madst   
Fri Feb 15 2019, 10:01am
Hello Phil.

Is does indeed seem to be the same issue, and thanks for your input!

Br Mads
Website
madst   
Sat Feb 16 2019, 03:58pm
Update:

It seems the problem has nothing to do with the xcarlink unit.

After unplugging it completely, the problem still exists.

When I then tried plugging in the "original" plug occupying the cd changer socket on the back of the head unit, the thumping sound disappeared.

I wonder what the plug and wiring is for - the car has no cd changer.

I also noticed that the car alarm started to work again after plugging in the original plug - that didn't work with the xcarlink connected (I don't need it anyways).
Website
e3steve   
Tue Feb 19 2019, 09:24pm
Member No: #1163
My older-type xcarlink that I inherited did the same, so I unplugged it (from the unit in the glovebox) and the 'whoomp' ceased.
madst   
Sun Mar 10 2019, 06:50pm
I realised that I should have mentioned that the car is equipped with the JBL sound system. Is it needed with some additional wiring in this case?

So I am back to the initial question:

If the car hasn't got any external cd changer, what is the plug occupying that post on the radio used for?

To plug in the xcarlink, I had to remove another plug from the external cd changer port - I assume there could be an issue with the external amp coming to live together with the BSI and makes the thud, if the plug I removed is in any way connected with the external amp?
Website
furriegurrie   
Sun Mar 10 2019, 07:59pm
Member No: #2448
Not sure if applicable for your situation but I've once been told that if you want to use the cd changer port for something else you need to disconnect the cd changer cable on both sides. So from the back of the hu but also from the changer....
madst   
Wed Mar 27 2019, 06:03pm
Update: I've spent some time communicating with xcarlink, and they ended up with the proposed solution that both plugs need to be connected at the same time for everything towork and the thud not to happen. They have offered me a Y splitter at a quite high price, and I am currently considering it.
Website
Jakub   
Sun May 09 2021, 03:06pm
Member No: #4120
madst wrote ...

Update: I've spent some time communicating with xcarlink, and they ended up with the proposed solution that both plugs need to be connected at the same time for everything towork and the thud not to happen. They have offered me a Y splitter at a quite high price, and I am currently considering it.

I've got the same issue with simillar device. I wonder if You decided to buy Y splitter and if it fixed the issue?
madst   
Mon May 10 2021, 09:19am
Hi Jakub.

Sorry for late reply.

The status is that I ended up removing the xcarlink as a result of their unwillingnes to accept that they are selling an incomplete product and expectation that I pay a rather large sum on top of the initial acquisition cost to actually make it work.

I am currently just forwarding calls to my mobile to the built in car phone instead. Music is played back via a cable connected to the AUX slot in the glove compartment. And it all works OK.

If I were to look for a similar third party connector, I would go with one of the alternatives to xcarlink.
Website
Jakub   
Mon May 10 2021, 08:30pm
Thank You;

I've ordered "Wefa-606", and it works... well, acceptable. Streaming is fine, but changing tracks from radio panel does not work. I've also ordered some plugs and sockets to make my own Y-connector; I expect it to arrive tomorrow or so, so I'll let know if it would help.

madst   
Mon May 10 2021, 08:36pm
I still have the xcarlink in stock, so if you succeed in making the Y wiring connector, and it stops the "blopping", I would be very interested in a tip about which parts to buy and then give it another go
Website
Jakub   
Wed May 12 2021, 06:11pm
I've connected it via Y-connector. It worked... for time. No 'blopping", and bluetooth working just as before. But after I've assembled dashboard, happy that it worked, it stopped. Phone can't connect to bluetooth and radio shows "CD Changer is empty". So, it seems that module has burned. I'll ask manufacturer tomorrow if I'm right.
Jakub   
Wed May 12 2021, 08:04pm
Forget what I've said before. One of wires in my homemade Y-connector broke during assembly of dashboard. It's really tigh fit - I've thrown device somewhere inside dashboard, around glovebox. I hope it won't rattle. After re-soldering broken wire, everything works fine. It only seems that bluetooth audio module is monophonic (?).

I've bought that: - Click Here -

I've cut off one of the black plugs and soldered wires one by one to another. Then I've cut white socket in two halves, to have better manoeuvrability. Three wires of each socket can be removed.
madst   
Wed May 12 2021, 08:08pm
Would it be possible to get a list of the parts you used for making the Y-connector? Based on your experience, I will give it a go, too!
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club