C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Directional headlamp fault - faulty horisontal adjustment motor

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
madst   
Wed Feb 06 2019, 05:31pm
Member No: #3419
I am getting this error when I switch on the bidirectional headlight setting in the configuration menu.

When switching on the headlights, they do not adjust up and down at all.

So something seems to be wrong with the height correction(?)

What are the usual suspects and connections to check (and their approximate locations)?

I thought I would do whatever I could myself before going to the garage to get an error read out.
Website
madst   
Mon Feb 11 2019, 06:56pm
I spent some hours today visiting a couple of garages to get a read out of the faults.

Good thing is that there are hardly any faults at all. That includes the ride height sensors.

Bad thing is that the bidirectional headlamp fault seems to be due to a faulty servo motor inside the right hand headlamp unit.

Poorly translated into English the fault description is: "Faulty position for motor for horisontal adjustment of right hand headlight."

Error code is B1110.

Did anyone in here experience the same fault (and how was it solved?).

I assume it is needed to unmount the headlamp unit, but can the motor be replaced / should I attempt to do it?

Or is it a new (second hand) lamp unit?
Website
e3steve   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 06:28pm
Member No: #1163
madst wrote ...

I spent some hours today visiting a couple of garages to get a read out of the faults.

Good thing is that there are hardly any faults at all. That includes the ride height sensors.

Bad thing is that the bidirectional headlamp fault seems to be due to a faulty servo motor inside the right hand headlamp unit.

Poorly translated into English the fault description is: "Faulty position for motor for horisontal adjustment of right hand headlight."

Error code is B1110.

Did anyone in here experience the same fault (and how was it solved?).

I assume it is needed to unmount the headlamp unit, but can the motor be replaced / should I attempt to do it?

Or is it a new (second hand) lamp unit?

There is a documented repair/cleaning process for the door mirrors' indexing potentiometers, whereby they cease to index back to both their memorised positions and their (user) pre-indexed reverse gear settings. I'd suspect that the headlamp motors could, ostensibly, suffer similar moisture contamination which could cause the issue that you describe. Disassembly & incursion is the only way to assess the fault(s) and effect a cure.

In order to remove the headlight units it's first necessary to remove the front bumper; this operation is easy enough, and not as daunting as it might at first seem, and can easily be carried out without jacking the car and removing the front wheels, but simply putting the suspension to its highest position:

- Remove the front part of the plastic undertray

- Remove the front wheelarch liners (most derivatives will have these attached to the underside part which supports the LDWS sensors)

- Remove the plastic covers atop the headlights, then the slam panel cover

- Remove both slam panel rubber buffers -- 3 press-in tags, 120deg apart

- Remove the 10mm-head (M6) screw (under each wheelarch) that clamp the joints between the bumper and the leading edge of each front wing

- Unplug the electrical connectors ahead of the r/h wheel

- Disconnect the headlamp washer hose snap-union, fold the washer bottle hose and keep it folded by using a zip-tie (this prevents the washer fluid from being dumped!)

- Remove the rest of the 10mm-head screws (don't miss any!)

Two person operation, now:

Pull each side of the bumper out sideways and away from each front wing; lift the bumper upward and forward.

This document is useful but doesn't cover a couple of tips that I've included:

- Click Here -
madst   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 07:52pm
Thanks for the input! It is highly appreciated.

What about the lamp unit itself? It that just as easy to disassemble for inspection?

Any precautions regarding working with the xenon lamp and high voltage?
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club