Problem with door mirror in passenger side

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
madst   
Thu Jan 31 2019, 04:52pm
Member No: #3419
Greetings from Danish west coast.

A few days ago I bought a wonderful 2,2 HDi from 2009. It has a weird problem with the door mirror on passenger side.

The mirror folds and unfolds perfectly when locking the car. The mirror itself moves perfectly when adjusted.

Only problem is that it cant be turned enough for the driver to see along the side of the car. It stops a bit too soon, and the driver needs to lean a lot over to the passenger side seat to see the side of the car - eg when reversing.

It is pretty annoying. The mirror seems to be mounted correctly and operates perfectly.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

I know the entire mirror assembly was replaced a couple of years ago. Could there be any issues if the replacement mirror originates from a right hand driven car - eg. from the UK?
Website
Tjensen   
Thu Jan 31 2019, 06:24pm
Member No: #954
Have you tried the "reverse" function in the mirror ?
cruiserphil   
Thu Jan 31 2019, 06:58pm

Member No: #38
Hello Madst,

You could also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Then reconnect and try a readjustment of the mirror. If this doesn't work you will have to look more closely at the mirror unit itself to see if the mechanism is obstructed or if the mirror glass is properly mounted.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Jas16   
Thu Jan 31 2019, 10:08pm
Member No: #2994
My initial reaction is that the mirror isn't properly mounted and maybe just needs a gentle nudge to make sure it is fitted properly.
madst   
Fri Feb 01 2019, 06:42am
Thanks all for the fast replies

I'll start out later today by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and see if that helps.

If not, then I will take a closer look at the mirror itself and the mechanism to check if there are any issues there.

However, at first glance when comparing the mounting of the mirror unit on the car door, it seems to sit in exactly the same way the the mirror in the driver's side.

The mirror itself sits with the exact same alignment within the casing when it is adjusted to the max left position (where it should be able to see the side of the car) as the other mirror when it is adjusted to the max right position.

When I sit in the passenger seat, I have a perfect view along the side of the car - hence the thought that the mirror might originate from eg. a UK car.

Anyways, I will check a few thing and return.

Thanks again - your input is highly appreciated!
Website
madst   
Sat Feb 02 2019, 05:54pm
I have now tried to reset the settings by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. It didn't fix the issue.

Tomorrow I would like to disassemble the mirror to check if it could be an internal problem inside the mirror house.

Question: How to I release the mirror glass? I know how it is done in older citroens, but it seems to be mounted in a different way in the C6.
Website
Norman   
Sun Feb 03 2019, 12:56am
Member No: #364
Make sure the mirror glass is clicked in correctly mine got car parked adjusted I just had to push the glass back in correctly took some doing as I didn't want the glass to crack,
If you look in self help ther should be instructions on sorting it out..
xmakko   
Sun Feb 03 2019, 09:19am
Member No: #2264
I have the same mirror broblem, but in service they said can't do anything!
madst   
Sun Feb 03 2019, 06:09pm
I think I found the reason for the problem and also managed to fix it - at least temporarily.

After removing the mirror glass, I checked that everything was sitting OK inside the mirror - and it did. So I could eliminate the glass or the motor not sitting OK.

I removed the mirror cover on the front and the back and removed the 2 screws fixating the mirror house to the folding mechanism.

When I lifted the mirror house up, I noticed that the back stop (I don't know if that is the correct word - or if it is even wise to use that word these days ...), which stops the mirror house when it unfolds looked very worn down.

I tried in various ways to make it sit a big higher and also tried to put a small piece of plastic next to it to make it higher, but that didn't really do the trick.

Finally I simply put a tiny wood screw into it, and that seems to have done the trick. Now the mirror house stops a bit earlier when unfolding, and it is again possible to see the side of the car from the driver's seat.

I want to find a replacement mirror house, but this will probably work OK in the mean time.

I am not sure that this was the real problem, but it solved the problem.

The attached pictures show the location of the plastic back stop and also how I "fixed" it.

Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club