C6 2.7 HDi - strange noise after startup

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
czarlz   
Mon Jan 21 2019, 12:26pm
Member No: #3806
Hi All,

Last morning my C6 surprised me with some strange noise. It appears after some time and goes off after a couple of seconds. Has anybody come across it before?

Video link: - Click Here -
cruiserphil   
Mon Jan 21 2019, 03:37pm

Member No: #38
Hello Czarlz,

It sounds very like the alternator clutch pulley giving you advance warning of intention to fail. Does the noise come from the auxiliary belt end of the engine as you focus your camera? It does sound like the noise that started on the pulley on our 3.0HDi.

Best regards,

Phil C.
czarlz   
Mon Jan 21 2019, 05:16pm
Hi Phil,

What's the craic?

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Indeed, the alternator clutch was mentioned by someone else too, in some other thread. Yes, it comes from the auxiliary belt area. I will look at it and keep this thread updated.

Regards,
Cezary
joopajaa   
Mon Jan 21 2019, 06:49pm
Member No: #3261
1 vote for "too low LDS level" (noise is from dryish power steering pump). This is easy to check and will first start when vehicle is tilted at parking.
czarlz   
Tue Jan 22 2019, 10:01am
Hi Joopa,

This indeed makes sense, as I had similar issue with power steering in one of my other cars. This time however the car was not tilted, but who knows.

As for the alternator, is it not engaged immediately after engine startup? This strange noise appears only 1-2 seconds after the startup.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club