Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Vel Satis & Avantime

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
ul9601   
Tue Apr 02 2019, 11:36pm
Member No: #1975
Going from C6 - would I like it?
I'm currently in a budget car category at the moment post-C6 ('91 2.0 carb XM & '03 Mk3 Mondeo) and would like to upgrade to something decent in a year or two.
The little crazy man inside me always seems to be keen on something a bit out there.
I think there are some of you who have ventured out to owning these oddball Renaults and I would be keen to hear about them (I think they are getting a bit long on the tooth by now, unfortunately though)
Cheers.
c6kev   
Wed Apr 03 2019, 07:29pm
Member No: #1508
I lived with a Vel Satis for 8 years. An excellent tow car and very well equipped for its era. However, the ride was awful. Renault wanted to compete with the 5 series BMW and opted for a very hard and un-French ride. This was not reflected with even slightly sporty handling. A real disappointment compared with my XM's and R30. As a replacement for the C6, I think you would be very disappointed (and maintenance is just as expensive with even lower numbers on the roads).

Kevin
ul9601   
Wed Apr 03 2019, 09:28pm
c6kev wrote ...

I lived with a Vel Satis for 8 years. An excellent tow car and very well equipped for its era. However, the ride was awful. Renault wanted to compete with the 5 series BMW and opted for a very hard and un-French ride. This was not reflected with even slightly sporty handling. A real disappointment compared with my XM's and R30. As a replacement for the C6, I think you would be very disappointed (and maintenance is just as expensive with even lower numbers on the roads).

Kevin

How do you find the ride quality - XM vs C6?
Cheers
ul9601   
Sun Apr 07 2019, 06:36am
FreakyFrenchFan wrote ...

I've had an Avantime for almost 7 years. What would you like to know?

Yes please! What wouldn't I want to know...
- What is the vision thru rear 3/4, blind spot wise?
- What model/trim level did you have?
- What features does it have, like satnav, ICE, storage? (compared to C6 - I know C6 is a bit behind its contemporaries in terms of features) Parking sensors front & back? Reverse camera? Adaptive cruise control? (Probably not...)
- How is it to maintain? Parts and service-wise and reliability.
- Is it true that you can't open the massive door if you park uphill?
- How do you like it compared to C6?
- What's the window sealing like? At least the windows don't drop when opening the door but not sure about frameless windows...
I looked through NZ registration details and there are at least 2, possibly 3 I think.
FraserG   
Sun Apr 07 2019, 09:12pm
Member No: #2011
Hi Sam, I've never seen one here. Certainly not as beautiful as your C6 but I'll be interested in your enquiry and eventual outcome. Still working out the costs of repairing my rear end damage as the insurance company want to write my Celeste off. I'm not letting her go easily and still hope to return her to fighting fit. She still drives well, just looks like I reversed into a power pole! Cheers Fraser
ul9601   
Mon Apr 08 2019, 02:25am
Oh I'm sorry to hear that - although I'm not surprised...
Are the parts on order yet? If the insurance co is contemplating write-off surely they haven't order the bits yet! Not sure about body parts but I managed to track down XM window regulator clip from - Click Here - for surprisingly reasonable price...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club