Gearbox oil change - how to measure the oil level

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
montriji   
Mon Dec 03 2018, 06:14am
Member No: #3285
Dear All;

I'm going to change my 2.7 HDI C6's automatic gearbox oil fluid, and just wondered how we appropriately measure the oil level.

As per workshop manual, it said that after we filled in the new ATF-3309 oil (e.g. up to 3 litres), we to shift up-down through all gears and back to "P" position, then run the engine at idle up to when the gearbox oil temperature is at 60 degree celcius (+8/-2 degree), and then remove the oil level plug to see and realize such extra-overfilled oil streaming out down to "drip-drip".

I'm just wondered at such time when the oil temperature is 60 degree celcius and we to remove the gearbox oil level plug to measure for such "drip-drip" level, we have to keep the engine running at idle with "P" gearbox position, or we have to stop the engine first? Please advise.

Normally, how much extra-overfilled oil will come out if we filled in 3 liters of new ATF oil?

Thanks,
MJ

cruiserphil   
Mon Dec 03 2018, 03:48pm

Member No: #38
Hello MJ,

Engine idling with transmission in P. When you remove the level plug you may initially get a stream of fluid which will reduce to a series of drops. Refit the level plug and then stop the engine.

When you originally drain the transmission, try and collect the fluid to measure what you have removed to minimise wastage of good fluid.

Best regards,

Phil C.
montriji   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 05:14am
Member No: #3285
Hello Phil,

Thank you so much for your kind advice.

I will redo the oil level checking process again while keeping the engine running idle with “P” gearbox position.

It seems that I firstly do it incorrectly, i.e. when the oil temperature reach 60 degree Celsius, I stopped the engine before removing the oil level plug, the extra oil coming out till “drip-drip” was nearly 0.8 liter (where the used oil I originally drained out is about 2.7 liters and I filled in 3.0 liters new oil), and thus I’m wondered I did it incorrectly.

Thank you, Phil.

Best regards,
MJ
cruiserphil   
Wed Dec 05 2018, 03:48pm

Member No: #38
Hello MJ,

0.8 litres is a lot of oil considering you drained 2.7 litres and added 3 litres. Perhaps add 0.5 litres and then check the level with engine running.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club