Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

C6 Built-in Telephone

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gmerry   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 06:55pm
Member No: #21
Is anyone using the built-in telephone, also via voice commands. I've inserted a SIM card but it keeps giving me the message "No SIM or not properly inserted".

When I removed the plastic tab for the SIM card, the SIM card remained behind and slipped out of position. Couldn't retrieve with tweezers, so end up removing the head unit and holding upside down, gentle shake. By the way, to remove the head unit, there are two T10 torx headed screws, accessible via the two small holes either side and close to the cup holders.

I've now reinserted the SIM card, engine off and key in steering locked position. Still not recognising the SIM card.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Regards

G
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 07:18pm

Member No: #1
sure there was a post on a similar issue over at C4owners Gordon, just can't remember what the outcome was though.

The head unit's are the same so whatever the answer was will be the same.
Website
tonyrome   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 10:22pm
Member No: #15
gmerry wrote ...
Still not recognising the SIM card. Any ideas what I should try next?

I suspect you'll find it's because the SIM card you are using is a 3G one. The built-in system doesn't recognize these, so you have to use one of the old non-3G SIMs. Quite apart from the remove/replace between phone and car, it's another reason why I'd much prefer Bluetooth...
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 11:46pm

On a mobile you can normally select which network to use manually non 3g or 3g

Have you tried putting the sim in a phone and selecting and saving as non 3g?

I don't use 3g to save on battery life as I don't use internet on my mobile
Website
rbimac09   
Wed Jan 20 2010, 07:43am
Member No: #32
I'm on the Orange Business Contract and they supply duplicate SIM cards with the same number as my phone, If my phone is on and isn't answered the call automatically gets transferred to the car. If I turn my phone off the car phone rings straight away, it's brilliant, I use it a lot.
tonyrome   
Wed Jan 20 2010, 01:22pm
rbimac09 wrote ...
I'm on the Orange Business Contract and they supply duplicate SIM cards with the same number as my phone, If my phone is on and isn't answered the call automatically gets transferred to the car. If I turn my phone off the car phone rings straight away, it's brilliant, I use it a lot.

Yeah, I use O2 in Germany and have duplicate SIMs. However, I use mobile broadband all the time, so one is used in my phone and the other in my laptop. No-one does a third SIM, for the car, as far as I'm aware!

Are your Orange Business Contract SIMs 3G ones?

Dave, it's not a question of switching anything off, it's the SIM itself which is different and won't work with the C6 phone slot. It just won't recognize it. Therefore, you have to use an older type SIM, which means another number...

Bluetooth resolves all the issues, as you can use multiple phones and don't even need to take it out of your pocket.
gmerry   
Wed Jan 20 2010, 06:26pm
Thanks all for replies. I've checked with Vodafone and they tell me that all SIMs now issued are 3G. My C6 was first registered late 2008 so I'm not sure Citroen would sell something already obsolete. However, if RBiMac is saying that his Navidrive in-built phone works with his 3G Orange Sim card, then maybe this is not the problem with my phone.

I'm wondering if I have a contact/mechanical problem with the SIM card. Maybe I should post a photo showing the SIM card holder and others can tell me if it looks the same as their's.

On the Bluetooth option, will I have this built-in to the Navidrive or was it an option for C6s?

Thanks
tonyrome   
Wed Jan 20 2010, 07:53pm
gmerry wrote ...
My C6 was first registered late 2008 so I'm not sure Citroen would sell something already obsolete. However, if RBiMac is saying that his Navidrive in-built phone works with his 3G Orange Sim card, then maybe this is not the problem with my phone.

I don't think the other poster has confirmed whether his SIMs are 3G ones. Maybe Citroen updated the system on later cars but the original cars, with RT3 units, don't work with 3G SIMs, in my experience.

As for selling things which are obsolete, I wouldn't say it's necessarily uncommon. For example, many manufacturers, Citroen included, are still fitting their cars with analogue radios, despite the fact that they will be unusable in 5 years time, ie. long before those cars are scrapped, despite the availability of DAB+.

gmerry wrote ...
On the Bluetooth option, will I have this built-in to the Navidrive or was it an option for C6s?

Not even an option on the original cars, sadly.
gmerry   
Fri Jan 22 2010, 06:28pm
I've now contacted Citroen UK: their technical people are saying the 2008 Navidrive should work with a 3G Sim card. Must be some other problem?

Regards
tonyrome   
Fri Jan 22 2010, 09:05pm
gmerry wrote ...
I've now contacted Citroen UK: their technical people are saying the 2008 Navidrive should work with a 3G Sim card. Must be some other problem?

OK, so it looks like they updated the system on later units, probably RT4s and RT5s. I suppose you could ask the dealer to let you put your SIM card into one of the newer cars and check whether it works or not, to see if it's a SIM or unit related problem? Mine works fine with a 2G SIM but I can't obtain a twin-SIM through that company, so it's not helpful for me. I wonder if the older RT3 systems can be reprogrammed to take 3G SIMs?
verycleverman   
Wed Mar 10 2010, 01:38am
Member No: #65
Intrigued by this thread, I've been out and checked on my car. I have 2 sims for mobile broadband. The original one is a '3' and the other is 'Vodafone'. Normally I use a Tesco Mobile sim as I seldom use a mobile phone, particularly the one in the car. Anyway, the Vodafone sim worked perfectly but the 3 was not recognised, (sim missing or not fitted correctly). Therefore, I conclude that a) 3G sims will work in the older RT3 head unit, b) not all service provider's sims will work and c) unless you are using it for business, you might as well get a cheap to run 2G card.

As a footnote, Tesco mobile have a feature called 'Ping Me A Pound'. It's designed for kids who, if they run out of credit, can 'ping' a pounds worth off their parent's phone. I use it all the time for the car. Whenever my credit gets low, I 'ping' another pound from my phone. That way, I never have to buy a top-up for a phone I seldom use.

Pete.
C6Dave   
Wed Mar 10 2010, 08:17am

Now that sounds like a good idea for an emergency phone for my wifes car in case she breaks down.

Thanks for the tip.
Website
tonyrome   
Wed Mar 10 2010, 09:12am
I already mentioned that 3 SIMs don't work, on another thread but thanks for the confirmation. The idea of another 2G SIM is not appealing, though. I already have a twin SIM for mobile broadband (laptop & phone) and two additional SIMs, for UK and Germany. It would mean buying two more, so that I would always have a suitable SIM, whether in the UK or Germany. Then, I'd have to set the phone to divert calls and top up the additional cards, in case of calls made from the in-car SIM. All that fuss, when you could have Bluetooth and make calls without any SIM swapping and without even taking the phone out of your pocket... A serious and silly omission.
Trainman   
Mon Apr 12 2010, 08:39am

Member No: #86
Just 'chipping in' I had a similar issue, and as has been said used a second PAYG sim from Vodafone which is 3G and works fine. Perhaps it's more of an issue with 'newer' mobile companies?
verycleverman   
Tue May 18 2010, 09:17am
Member No: #65
C6Dave wrote ...

Now that sounds like a good idea for an emergency phone for my wifes car in case she breaks down.

Thanks for the tip.

Just to add to the above, Tesco Mobile now do a 'Pay AS You Go Lite' tarrif. For those, like me, who top up less than £10 a month, you can move over to the 'Lite' tarrif where calls are a flat rate 8p a minute and texts are 4p. I've just move all three phones over to it.

Pete.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club