Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Which tyres are the quietest and most suitable?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Stealth   
Sun Aug 26 2012, 05:48am
Member No: #986
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a 2009 C6 and the first thing I need to do is buy it a new set of shoes. I'd really appreciate any advice that those of you who are experienced with this wonderful machine can provide.

Cost is not a factor. I will fit the original spec, which I presume is Michelin, unless something better is advisable. I just want the quietest tyres possible and I'm prepared to forgo longevity, if that's the price I must pay.

The car currently has Continental Contisport Contact 3 245/45 ZR18 tyres on the front, with about 10,000kms wear remaining, and, Michelin Pilot Primacy 245/45 R18 tyres on the back - which are down to the tread wear indicators. I'm sure it's a travesty to have two different makes of tyres on a C6.

Driving it home on the expressway, I noticed a particular harmonic from the rear at just around 100km/h. I'm betting it's those tyres and intend to replace them immediately.

Having just had to replace some Yokahamas on the E350 I'm getting out of (at 20,000kms due to the horrific rumble they caused at 40km/h), I don't want to make any mistakes replacing this set of tyres.

So, before I call my Citroen dealer for advice, please let me know what your experiences with tyres have been, good or bad, and what my best choice would be. Plus, I notice some commentary about tyre pressure sensors in this forum. Should I rely only on a Cit dealer to do the change or is it generally OK to go to a regular tyre supplier?

Thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Gobxoy   
Sun Aug 26 2012, 08:05am
Member No: #786
Hi Stealth

Nice car

I looked at low noise tyres when the new euro markings came into force Dunlop SPORTMAXX RT were the quitest I could find at the time and sofar doesn't look like that changed, and they still 'C' rating for fuel economy and 'A' for wet grip.

Not sure if anyone on this list has tried them yet, but the new labels do give a clue.

There were others that were the same 68db noise rating but worse fuel/wet grip.

Here's a link to that thread. - Click Here -

Hope this helps?
Stealth   
Sun Aug 26 2012, 10:19am
Hi Gobxoy,

Thanks for that. Interesting link.

So, are you happy with the Dunlops at all speeds? Are they still quiet after some wear?
Gobxoy   
Sun Aug 26 2012, 04:38pm
Stealth I guess you missed this line
Not sure if anyone on this list has tried them yet, but the new labels do give a clue.
ChrisHunter   
Sun Aug 26 2012, 07:05pm
Member No: #188
looks beautiful !

we've found our tyres last 12 to 17k on the front, 45k on the back ...

we've done 52k now, and had Michelin & Pirelli & Continental on the front, Michelin & Continental on the back ...

couldn't choose between them for wear & noise & manners, we've found ...

wear variation mostly down to our driving, we feel ...

ie: it can be hustled along pretty quickly, but it's weight brings a price - especially when bends & corners are involved !

letting our rear's stay on the back so long meant they latterly developed a drone, coming from an increasingly scalloped wear-pattern ...

ie: 'would have been better (obviously) to have brought them forward & put new's on the back, each time front's life was up ...

Stealth   
Sun Aug 26 2012, 08:14pm
Thanks Chris,

It's reassuring to learn you've experienced the drone as well. That makes me feel more comfortable that the noise is the tyres and not a feature of the C6.

I should have mentioned, Gobxoy, that I am in Australia so the new tyre labels you refer to are not used here.

Think I'll go with Michelin but be careful to have the tyres rotated when I need to change the fronts.
ChrisHunter   
Sun Aug 26 2012, 08:38pm
Member No: #188
when we changed the tyres, and could see them in the round, the scalloped pattern was slight but pretty clear to see ...

our k's were miles, of course !
C6Dave   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 06:44am

Member No: #1
Stealth wrote ...

I should have mentioned, Gobxoy, that I am in Australia so the new tyre labels you refer to are not used here.

Once the labelling comes into force we can post the details of the various brands people use for guidance as the tyres themselves will be the same wherever you are.
Website
gmerry   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 08:49am
Member No: #21
Well I can only provide my own subjective experience. However the 2 axle sets of Falken ZE912s I've fitted to the C6 have all been super quiet and I'm pretty happy all round with them. In fact I have another 2 ZE912s sitting in my garden shed for when I needs them. So far as well, there has been no cracking issues or any other quality complaints (unlike the Michelins).
Regards
G
Gobxoy   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 09:31am
Hi the details have been posted here - Click Here - in my original reply if you scrool down.

Here is the quick summary below new Michelin Primacy 3's are 3 dB worse than the Dunlops and 1 db worse than the original fit and now discontinued Primacy Hp's.

Michelin give this explanation on the new labelling link - Click Here - worth a read, 3 decebels is twice as loud. Which makes the new Michelin's not such a good choice if low noise is the your main priority.

All the information was from this sight - Click Here - I found this one of the easiest to check out, and you can tick the priority boxes on the left hand side. "A" for wet grip "C" for economy (thats the best for economy available) which give s a choice of three Goodyear EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 2/Michelin PRIMACY 3/Dunlop SPORTMAXX RT.
OK it seems wrong to have a Citroën on anything other than michelin's but not all cit's come with then from new, so unless anything comes out in the meanwhile I'm going with the Dunlops when the time comes.
Gobxoy   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 09:54am
gmerry wrote:- Well I can only provide my own subjective experience. However the 2 axle sets of Falken ZE912s I've fitted to the C6 have all been super quiet and I'm pretty happy all round with them.
GOOD point no euro label for the Falken's found so worth watching.

gmerry also wrote:- no cracking issues or any other quality complaints (unlike the Michelins).
I think this is a little harsh on Michelin's I think this was mostly down to OEM tyres being on the car whilst in storage pre sale. (some cases two years) and this is not limited just to Michelins I have experienced the cracking problem on many makes for long term strorage on many brands (cars & tyres) over the years. Of course as Michelins were the only fit on Citroëns for many years anyone buying a Cit would blame Michelin.

Tyres are like mushrooms when it comes to storing them.
Stealth   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 10:15am
Spoke to Citroen dealer today and evidently Bridgestone Turanza have also turned in good reports in Aus.

Thank you everyone for your time and answers.
James   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 01:55pm
Member No: #817
Dunlop Sportmax GT are 3db quieter still according that website. (Not sight G ) but it's E for fuel and B for grip.

However according to the Michelin page,
"A car fitted with four A-rated tyres driving at 50mph uses 7.5% less fuel than with G-rated tyres" 1% fuel per grade hmmm. Small enough to discount.

"For a car fitted with four A-rated tyres driving at 50 mph, stopping distance can be up to 18 metres or 30% shorter than with G-rated tyres."
Stop in 60M with G-grade or 42M with A Grade.

Gobxoy   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 05:48pm
james wrote:- Dunlop Sportmax GT are 3db quieter still according that website. (Not sight G ) but it's E for fuel and B for grip.

RTFP. Dunlop SportMaxx RT not TT or the GT version you sight, please post the a link to your Dulop site I used this one - Click Here - and could not find euro labels.

Just shows how easy it would be to get the wrong suffix if going for the Dunlops.

Good point about the difference in economy, have you found any "A" rated, I don't think they exist in our size?

It seemed logical to aim for "A" wet equal to OEM for Economy and the lowest dB rating.

Also it looks like Michelin commits to bettering Euro tyre standards - Click Here -
gmerry   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 08:42pm
Member No: #21
Guys, a quick web search will bring up lots of discussion on the pros and cons of the Euro Directive ratings (straight bananas anyone).

Basically the 3 criteria are only 3 out of many: there is are no measurements of dry braking, NVH (only external noise) treadwear, cornering ability. The actual test reports are entirely self policed by the manufactures and may not be consistent between different testers.

Myself, I'll not pay an excessive amount of attention to these fridge comparisons.

Regards
G
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club