C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Digital display failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
dadie11   
Tue Jul 18 2017, 03:46pm
Member No: #2724
...my apogloies if this has been covered elsewhere.
First of all a big thanks to those in t'club who have taken time and effort in posting these snippets of their C6 ownership. I'm on my second in a year, but that's another story.
After an unplanned, but necessay trip to BL autos (is that Brilliant Lads?) in WGC for belt renewal; six hours and something hundred quid later, (30 seconds and twenty quid on my little Benz!), my display started to play-up, followed by total disappearance the following day. Bother. Only to re-appear a day later.
My thought is that if the diy route is followed, would it not be better to replace the errant transistor with an up-rated version rather than an original specification item with a known weakness?
Or have I missed something?
Regards, David Crawford.
diyjoke   
Tue Sep 25 2018, 08:09pm
Member No: #354
Same problem - resolved by Autotronics in Leicester; absolutely faultless service. The unit had previously gone dead on a couple of occasions and I was planning to remove it to send it off after the MOT. (I didn't notice any dimming prior to these events, just ignition on and a blank screen; no burning smell). A week after the most recent incident I took the car for an MOT and it failed because the screen had (failed).

I removed the unit following Cisco's guide - thank you very much; I would have completely trashed everything trying to get that out.

I tried a local electronics company but the intermittent fault wasn't evident and they just gave it back to me (no charge).

Cut to the chase: - I got the phone number and address from the internet "YELL". Had to leave for Leicester fairly early (in the wife's car), to get there at a reasonable hour; I hadn't arranged anything beforehand (long story) so I rang them en route and they were very accommodating. Got to their place (NOT as advertised in YELL, they've moved - give them a call first if you need to send anything or visit them! I didn't).

Got there at 13:00 with some printouts of the board and the suspect chip - not needed; "our C6 guru is here today and knows exactly what to look for" - how many of these have they repaired?!

Two hours and £163.20 later and I was on my way home again. No chips changed but a couple of suspect 'bits' (capacitors?) Bargain, especially compared to the Citroen quote of £1,140.80.

Installed and all working, BUT - the engine management fault light is on (with associated warning). There were other warnings driving the car without the unit fitted (seat belts, air bags but they've since disappeared) and I'm hoping the engine one will disappear as did with FreakyFrenchFan.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here as I wouldn't have had a clue and the bottom line - Autotronics = brilliant.

Regards,
Martin

e3steve   
Thu Sep 27 2018, 09:00am
Member No: #1163
Simon — forum member ‘ststech’, Facebook member Simon Mark Edwards — carries out reliable repairs...
doodlebug   
Thu Nov 15 2018, 08:35pm
Member No: #2840
diyjoke wrote ...

... A week after the most recent incident I took the car for an MOT and it failed because the screen had (failed).

Mine has just done exactly that, annoyingly just a month before the MOT is due. Surely one could argue that the speed is shown on the heads-up display and all the faults are shown on the central display?

Did it take long to fix it?

Thanks
e3steve   
Sat Nov 17 2018, 08:38am
Member No: #1163
doodlebug wrote ...

diyjoke wrote ...

... A week after the most recent incident I took the car for an MOT and it failed because the screen had (failed).

Mine has just done exactly that, annoyingly just a month before the MOT is due. Surely one could argue that the speed is shown on the heads-up display and all the faults are shown on the central display?

Did it take long to fix it?

Thanks

At risk of repeating myself:

Simon — forum member ‘ststech’, Facebook member Simon Mark Edwards — carries out reliable repairs...!!!
cruiserphil   
Sun Nov 18 2018, 07:20pm

Member No: #38
As per E3Steve,

Ststech is the man. Quick turnaround and very reasonable. Repaired one of our displays and no issues since.

Best regards,

Phil C.
GI   
Thu Oct 31 2019, 11:31am
Member No: #4125
Hi All,

my dashboard also disappears from time to time (becomes dark).
This topic was started a long time ago so can somebody give an actual info.

Thanks in advanced
Radox   
Tue Apr 07 2020, 10:14pm
Member No: #4044
My unit just went out today! Upon ignition, it went dark and smoke began coming out of the dashboard for about 2 minutes! Now the display doesn't work and the car smells like burnt plastic. Has this happened to anyone else???
eke   
Wed Apr 08 2020, 07:23am
Member No: #624
Yes it has happened. I think that it will happen to all C6 displays some time. I had it repaired last summer, in Finland the cost was about 250 eur. You can drive the car without the display in place.
C6Dave   
Wed Apr 08 2020, 08:01am

Member No: #1
e3steve wrote ...
Simon — forum member ‘ststech’, Facebook member Simon Mark Edwards — carries out reliable repairs...!!!

Simon still does inexpensive repairs to the displays with a quick turn around.

Unfortunately he is in the UK so you would need to courier it to him. I would look for a used unit online to send to him so you have a spare 'just in case' a courier 'loses' it (has been known)

You can e mail Simon: e mail icon workshop (at) ststech.co.uk for a repair quote etc.

Website
Fraunie   
Wed Apr 08 2020, 12:58pm
Member No: #3763
Easiest way to repair it in Germany "Faytec.de". It costs 119 € and you have it back in five days...
Radox   
Sat Apr 18 2020, 12:25pm
Member No: #4044
I have another question. Does anyone know what text does the newer dashboard version (after 2009) have in the upper right corner? Mine says something like BORG X6 255. The newer version has all-white dashes on the fuel gauge (the old version has two yellow dashes at the bottom) and the revcounter fills up to max upon turing on. I think this is kinda cool. So, does anyone know if the newer dash can be isntalled on my 2007 car? And what's the part number/BORG model number?
SilentMarivs   
Sat Jul 18 2020, 04:38pm
Member No: #4278
Hello I have repaired my own cluster. I have made an explanatory video. It is in Spanish but can be understood

hola
he reparado mi propio cluster. he hecho un video explicativo. esta en español pero puede entenderse

- Click Here -
willthor   
Sat Sep 12 2020, 11:42am
Member No: #4455
Hi everyone, I have just bought a C6 & the speedo is broken. I would like however to check mileage, could someone please explain how to accomplish this please.
Thanks & best wishes, william.
eke   
Sat Sep 12 2020, 03:15pm
Member No: #624
Hi, maybe you can check the mileage with Diagbox. You can have it repaired here - Click Here -

Br Eke
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club