C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Armageddon of Errors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Chester   
Mon Aug 27 2018, 05:18pm
Member No: #2287
For the last few months my C6 has been throwing up the ABS braking system fault message alongside the handbrake fault and ESP system fault all at the same time. The car has been serviced recently and no issues were unearthed, so presumed it could have been a dodgy sensor.

Anyway, yesterday I got into the car and it came up with the "STOP: Braking System faulty message", alongside the messages above - the car still drove, but not much was working, luckily I was only 5 or so minutes from home - the power steering wasn't working and neither was the speedometer. Got the car home and went to bed a little depressed at the thought of the potential upcoming bill.

So this morning I checked under the bonnet: oil level was fine but the water level was pretty low - topped this up and then got back into the car to test it. Now the battery was dead and economy mode was active. I charged the battery up and when I started the car, everything was fine. The trip computer I think had reset and all of the error messages have disappeared. Drove the car for about 10 minutes with no problems and its now back on the drive.

Could it have been the low water level causing all of those issues?
cruiserphil   
Mon Aug 27 2018, 06:16pm

Member No: #38
Hello C6Chester,

I would be checking why your battery was flat this morning! Sounds like a dying battery or a charging fault. Poor battery voltage could have caused your messages!

Best regards,

Phil C.
C6Chester   
Tue Aug 28 2018, 12:54pm
Thanks for that Phil - here is hoping it is just the battery as that won't cost me too much! Looking on the net there appears to be all manner of batteries being passed off as C6 ones ranging in price from £60 to £120. I assume these cheaper ones are to be avoided?

Citroen have the battery as part of their Fixed Price Essentials for £110 - I think I'll probably go down that route as presumably they will fit the correct quality battery.
C6Dave   
Tue Aug 28 2018, 04:41pm

Member No: #1
C6Chester wrote ...

Citroen have the battery as part of their Fixed Price Essentials for £110 - I think I'll probably go down that route as presumably they will fit the correct quality battery.

Yes that's the one to get for ease and peace of mind.
Website
C6Chester   
Tue Sep 04 2018, 08:42pm
Had the battery replaced today. It was apparently on its way out and only giving half the voltage it should have been, but the errors are still showing so it seems to me that it is likely to be either the brake pedal switch or a dodgy ABS sensor.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club