Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Citroen Main Dealer and fixed price timing belt kit!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
welsh_wizz   
Wed Aug 01 2018, 07:47pm
Member No: #2843
Hello folks,
I am having fun with a main dealer who shall remain anonymous.
The saga so far.
On May the 8th I decided to book in my C6 2.7hdi and take advantage of their fixed price repair and have a timing belt kit (remember the word "kit" here).
I booked it through on the website, where you have to enter your reg, it then tells you what you are booking in. C6 2.7 HDI. Got it. Fixed priced cam belt kit £295. I ask for the water pump to be done at the same time. The dealer gets back to me, tells me that that will be an extra £168 odd extra for a C6 2.7hdi...
No problem I say, yes please, booked and confirmed for August the 1st. 3 whole month's notice in advance.
Today, car dropped off, booked in by receptionist at 10.45 for an 11am appointment. Told when I dropped it off, it might not be finished today "It's a big job" no problem I say.
4.20pm phone call from the dealers,"We can't do the job today, we didn't realise it was a V6, it requires special tools, we don't have them and can't get them until Friday, maybe. Oh and it's going to cost more"
I was disappointed, of course, despite being in possession of all details of the car with the booking they have cocked up. I phone Citroen service UK about the price rise. They look into it. Dealers get back to me an hour later.
"Price increase is for tensioners, as timing belt kit doesn't include tensioners and an hour's extra labour to fit them" £+300 more than quoted, more than doubled the price.
How amused am I by that?! A timing belt kit that doesn't include tensioners?!
I have queried this with Citroen UK to get it in writing that a kit does include this and fitting so I can go back with some Ammo.
(I know someone else on this forum has exactly the same problem and was given the tensioner excuse but I cannot find the post despite several searches. I remember reading about it)
So in summary.
A main Citroen dealer that doesn't know that a C6 2.7hdi is a V6; doesn't check that it has the tools for a job; doesn't realise that the special tools are needed until 5 hours into a job?! Doesn't want to do the job at the price quoted. (I know that the price is a steal, but if you are quoted a price...)

I haven't been impressed today, quite the opposite.
Anyway, rant over, back to smiling...
C6Dave   
Thu Aug 02 2018, 07:43am

Member No: #1
Problem starts with the 'tools'

Not all dealers were set up to maintain the C6, my nearest one wasn't and even the local Pug dealer 'didn't have the tooling' to change the timing belt on a V6 engined Pug.

In the end I ended up paying over double the fixed price repair cost when adding in the water pump but they also repaired the brittle vacuum 'swirl pipes'

I know someone posted that they had managed to get the fixed price for the job so good luck.
Website
jamescarruthers   
Thu Aug 02 2018, 09:58am
Member No: #1548
You have my sympathies. I had exactly the same problem when I first bought my C6. Marshall Citroen (now closed) were absolutely useless and unhelpful. They seemed to have no morals or ethics about advertising something then not standing by it.

Tjensen   
Thu Aug 02 2018, 10:36am
Member No: #954
Just to make the UK C6 owners smile again with my Norwegian story: The big Citroen dealer I used for the belt and linked jobs ended with a bill over 3000 £. When I delivered the car they "had forgot" the whole appointment and then they needed several weeks to get the parts. After the job finally was done (and I had helped them with parts) the car worked OK for a few weeks and then the engine broke down (they had forgot to fasten a nut on the aux belt tensioner). I have other Norwegian dealers/garages I use with a lot more satisfaction, but prices are high and parts will often cost 3-7 times the ebay price. Still I am a happy C6 driver with 120 000 km of driving and planning a lot more. (and : a Mercedes, BMW or Land Rover would probably have been even more expensive to own)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club