C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Heater / A/C - peculiar operation

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ul9601   
Tue Jun 26 2018, 08:27am
Member No: #1975
My car has always had a habit of the rear heater fan going every so often for no good reason (and more often than not, it's running) even when the master fan switch has been turned off (by the rotary knob in the middle of the A/C heater control).
While I had my car in for service, I mentioned this and apparently what was done was to have the automatic A/C operation disabled from the climate control menu on the centre screen - this appeared to have worked, except that now I have lukewarm air coming out of front face level vents (2 centre & 1 LH & 1 RH) at my usual set temperature of 22 degree C. I went back to auto A/C setting but that didn't change anything and when compared, all other air outlets (e.g. foot, rear, front demister or the centre storage under armrest) were pumping out far warmer air. I can still set the temperature to cold and to warm though, but it's just not as warm as before and only the face level air.
I'm guessing this isn't caused by heater flap breakage as a lot of others experienced (if it was, all air outlets would blow the same temperature air, correct?)
Any thoughts on this? (other than not fiddling with something that is not really broken...)
Also, my experience with the centre armrest storage is that it's supposed to be a chilled compartment (as opposed to its temperature set by A/C setting to warm or cold) and the owner's manual appears to back my theory (it shows only blue arrow circulating within the compartment, as opposed to red/blue of all other air outlets). Is this how others find it? At the moment, it seems like mine is blowing the same temperature air as A/C setting.
Cheers.
Tjensen   
Tue Jun 26 2018, 11:33am
Member No: #954
Your last question about the compartment. I have really bad experiences. It is only the same airstream as the rest, warm in winter, cool in summer. DO NOT STORE CHOCOLATE THERE IN WINTER !!!!!!

The fan for the back seat: I turn it off with the separate control in the backseat, it has also separate "auto" and manual override. When left in auto (default) it will have its own life, as it should. But that is probably not your problem ?
C6Dave   
Tue Jun 26 2018, 04:24pm

Member No: #1
Just a 'wild' thought but, when the diesels do a DPF regeneration cycle, the system turns on a lot of accessories to load up the engine via the alternator.

Is that possibly the cause of the intermittent rear blower running?
Website
ul9601   
Tue Jun 26 2018, 07:23pm
Tjensen wrote ...

Your last question about the compartment. I have really bad experiences. It is only the same airstream as the rest, warm in winter, cool in summer. DO NOT STORE CHOCOLATE THERE IN WINTER !!!!!!

The fan for the back seat: I turn it off with the separate control in the backseat, it has also separate "auto" and manual override. When left in auto (default) it will have its own life, as it should. But that is probably not your problem ?

Yikes - I can only imagine the melted chocolate mess in the storage compartment! I usually keep a water bottle in there (a small one) and they seem well chilled when I want some cold water. I normally keep the temperature setting at 21-22°C all year around.
My experience is that rear/centre storage compartment fan speed goes all over the place while the front fan speed remains steady. That's with rear setting as auto (which I use for both front and rear).

Dave-Retired wrote ...

Just a 'wild' thought but, when the diesels do a DPF regeneration cycle, the system turns on a lot of accessories to load up the engine via the alternator.

Is that possibly the cause of the intermittent rear blower running?

That could be a possibility but front fan still seems to be running at steady speed when rear speed varies wildly. To be frank, I'm not worried about this as much as lack of warm air coming out of the face level vents.

I wonder if it's a sensor thing - maybe there are temperature sensors built inside the face level air ducts and they are out of whack from other air outlet temp sensors?

Can I eliminate the broken heater flap as the cause?

Cheers.
ul9601   
Thu Jun 28 2018, 07:42pm
Has been to the shop, apparently passenger side sensor is reading -28°C and 11.4°C on the driver's side. I presume these are the air temperature in the ducts, so both could be wrong with the ambient temperature being around 10°C and A/C temperature setting at 22°C, the warm air out of the ducts should be higher than 22°C.
It seems all wrong.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club