C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Knocking.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
keithc   
Fri Jun 22 2018, 10:31am
Member No: #2584
Hi all, recently I've changed the complete hub, tie rod end and drop link on the front right (driver's side) and drop link on the passenger side (need to replace the tie rod end on passenger side too) but I get a faint knocking at low speeds/coming down off speed bumps or over a bad road I've to travel on when dropping my son off to the child minder every morning. I am 99% sure it's coming from the driver's side so what else should I check? It's not a bad knock but it annoys me! Thanks!
C6Dave   
Fri Jun 22 2018, 05:07pm

Member No: #1
Sub frame bushes/bolts are tight?
Website
321dave   
Sat Jun 23 2018, 10:00am
Member No: #614
keithc wrote ...

Hi all, recently I've changed the complete hub, tie rod end and drop link on the front right (driver's side) and drop link on the passenger side (need to replace the tie rod end on passenger side too) but I get a faint knocking at low speeds/coming down off speed bumps or over a bad road I've to travel on when dropping my son off to the child minder every morning. I am 99% sure it's coming from the driver's side so what else should I check? It's not a bad knock but it annoys me! Thanks!

Hi Keith,
I had something simliar and changed everything like yourself and after a short amount of time a faint knock returned. Long story short, it turned out to be the anti roll bar drop link on the passenger side. I was told by a work colleague the knock you hear is most times on the opposite side (the sound travels) and he was correct and he then mentioned the quality of the part I purchased. Sometimes it doesn't pay to buy cheaper parts ( I had). It worked for me anyway. Funny the play on my antiroll drop link (6 months on the car) was very little, but the car and bad road unfortunately amplified the sound a lot. Worth cheacking again. How many miles on your C6 now? I replaced my anti-roll bar rubber bushes as well, but not for noise for handling reasons, but they can knock as well.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Dave
keithc   
Wed Jun 27 2018, 11:29am
Dave-Retired wrote ...

Sub frame bushes/bolts are tight?

Might try them and see.

Car has 235,000 kms now Dave. I have replaced the drop link on the passenger side too. Have to do the tie rod end yet but don't think that's it. I know I have a loose heat shield and I see a bolt or two missing from the undertray so will put on the tie rod end, try fix the heat shield and replace the missing bolts as well as look at the sub frame items and take it from there.
keithc   
Sun Jul 15 2018, 09:50pm
I replaced the front passenger tie rod yesterday and it was pretty gone. More so than I imagined. Plus it was siezed on, had to hacksaw the bolt on the hub off plus use a vicegrips with the inner bolt jammed with a spanner to turn it off the inner rod.

I also had two bolts missing from the undertray and the heat shield is not as loose as I thought it was.

So after all that the "knocking" is gone. Happy Days!!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club