C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Sudden Silence (RT3)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
mister_iainm   
Mon Jun 04 2018, 07:41am
Member No: #3253
Ah, the highs and lows of "driving a cloud".

Highs: having a circa 3K mile trip to Italy and back to Scotland via the Alps in blissful comfort, chatting with a fellow French C6 owner in the old pits at Reims, seeing my first 3L ("black & tan") at Spa Francorchamps, and enjoying the delights of cruise control on the Autoroutes...

Lows: realising that a C6 is much to big for rural Italian towns, having a defunct passenger front door lock, and experiencing a (so far) one-off anomaly in the fuel readout...

I digress. This post is really about what happened this morning, when the audio went silent, and the central display went blank, without warning, on the way to the office.

The head unit is an RT3, the car 2007 (and known to the forum I believe - KP07 BYH).

I say "without warning" because, some months ago, it performed a reboot whilst driving twice in the space of 24 hours, but has been faultless since.

Can anyone offer any thoughts as to whether this is the head unit itself, or a cable/connector issue, or even a fuse?!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Iain (who still loves his high-maintenance French mistress...)

FraserG   
Mon Jun 04 2018, 09:01pm
Member No: #2011
Mine does this intermittently without warning and has done throughout our time together which is over three and a half years now.

It doesn't affect how the car drives, I just loose the radio or music for a minute as it reboots itself.

It doesn't fill me with confidence but hopefully it doesn't get worse. Hasn't so far.

Fingers crossed...
Trainman   
Tue Jun 05 2018, 04:54am

Member No: #86
I suspect this is a software issue, my first C6 did it quite often and you never knew when it was going to happen, had the car for 3 years and it never caused a major issue, though a bit annoying (Coming to a junction and would reboot whilst using the nav).
mister_iainm   
Tue Jun 05 2018, 05:59am
Unfortunately, it seems to be completely dead this time. When I got in the car to go home last night, there was nothing on the display at all (not even the Citroen boot-up logo), and no audio (no parking sensors, radio etc).

I pulled the head unit out last night and checked the small 15A fuse on the back, and it's fine.

I don't know if there's an external fuse elsewhere in the car I should also check, or if anybody has a pin-out diagram for the multi-plug so I can put a meter on and see if there's a supply voltage?

If there's voltage at the plug, I'll probably try Cartronics and see what they say once they've tested it.
Trainman   
Tue Jun 05 2018, 08:02am

Member No: #86
Iain,

have a word with Simon at - Click Here - he does work for the club on repairing speedomter's and I think maybe be worth a call.
mister_iainm   
Wed Jun 06 2018, 07:38am
Thanks for that. I had a long chat with Simon, who - very sensibly - suggested that before I sent it to him, I should plug it back in to see if it was getting power.

So I did, and yup, you guessed it: it's working fine again.

For how long of course, nobody knows. Anybody got Mystic Meg's phone number?!...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club