C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Do I need a forced regen?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
PercyPorcelain   
Thu May 24 2018, 08:55pm
Member No: #2027
Okay I admit it, I'm a bit of a cheapskate and don't go for regular services but all they seem to offer for £200+ is "check fluids, electrics etc." I tend to say yes thanks but I can do that myself, aren't you going to even open up the rocker cover and check a few tappets, etc.? Anyway as a result I am approaching 100k miles on my 2.2 diesel engine and keep losing power at speed, having to pull over onto hard shoulder for 5 or 10 mins until I can get going again. Advice ranges from get EGR valve/air pressure sensor checked (I have, and seem okay) to buy premium fuel, to drive 100 miles at 60mph a la Keanu Reeves in 'Speed', to fill up tank to full, squirt in Redex, etc. I've tried all that, also replaced fuel filter (because I thought it was clogged) yet nothing seems to fix it properly. Now I've found a guy on eBay who promises a "forced regen" for 50 quid, should I go for it?
travlician   
Thu May 24 2018, 09:45pm
Member No: #350
First of all, if your MIL (check engine) light is lit, get access to Lexia to get proper diagnose. These engines are to complex to just throw parts at it. If not lit, this is strange, most often loos of power is by design or something failing that generates the message in Lexia / MIL.
Dan595   
Tue Jun 26 2018, 07:42pm
Member No: #299
Percy, your car should tell you if it needs a regen. It should even tell you if there is a 'risk of particulate filter clogging'.

You've changed the fuel filter, which is the number one suspect. Have you checked the fuel lines and the tank breather?
PercyPorcelain   
Mon Sep 17 2018, 09:07pm
Member No: #2027
Thanks Dan, will look at fuel lines and tank breather. In the meantime Redex have released a new formulation specifically for diesels with exhaust gas clogging problems, did 1500 miles in France this summer without incident... but also did good long-distance, high-speed runs which I'm told resets it

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club