Tyre recommendations 2018

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
xxc   
Fri May 11 2018, 11:11pm
Member No: #3227
Hello All,
10months into c6 ownership with a 3.0l petrol & lpg .... and still lots to learn! Lots of useful info gleaned from here and appreciate the help.
After a poor and expensive decision to try all 4 wheels Goodyear Efficientgrip run flats 96 (18”) in January, I’m going to need to replace the fronts already just 6000mils later , and ask for my money back on the front tracking as again the inside edge is wearing! I’ll keep the runflats on the rear for now as they aren’t wearing as quick, but in truth can’t wait to get rid.. much too hard.

I see in later and recent posts Michelin primacy3, and Falkens get common mentions.
Looking for recommendations please for what’s the models market now for a comfortable, low noise and durable summer or allround tyre.
My preference is normally a premium tyre, and a good efficiency rating.

Are 100 XL’s advisable, as I’m going fully laden with roofbox this summer for hols?
I regularly do motorway mileage cruising at 80mph, and expect to do about 18k miles a year - but normally just me and a suitcase

Thanks in advance, and safe driving all
Dave (in flintshire)

eke   
Sat May 12 2018, 06:13am
Member No: #624
Hello,

I can recommend Landsail LS588 UHP for C6. My tires are the size 245/45 R18 and current series is my second Landsail series. Before I had Nokian zLine and Good Year F1. The price/quality rate with Landsails is amazing in my opinion. They are comfortable and quiet.

Br Eke
bargi   
Sat May 12 2018, 09:20am
Member No: #2590
if it's still wearing on the inside edge of the fronts after an alignment then it's probably not tracking.

Mine had done the same for the front right tyre and there was something suspension wise that needed replacing.

I'll need to find the work done, but if you are on the Citroen C6 Facebook Group there's plenty of tyre recommendations when I asked last year
- Click Here -

If you can't see it, I've attached a image with a recommendation to check part 46019120

MikkelCPH   
Sat May 12 2018, 06:38pm
Member No: #2532
I am surprised ... as genuine Citroenists we simply must use Michelin tyres !!!

Happy driving
jamescarruthers   
Sun May 13 2018, 03:58pm
Member No: #1548
If you are (understandably) sick of the run flats, I'd rotate the tyres and put the run flats on the front and put your next tyres on the back.

If possible, I always put new tyres on the rear and then move the rears forward. This avoids old hard rubber on the rear, which wear much less.
joopajaa   
Mon May 14 2018, 09:24am
Member No: #3261
Just bought Sava 235-50-18 and I'm quite happy with those - smooth and soft-walled tyres. This size Sava was made in germany (=Goodyear plant). But as said, if money is no problem go with Michelin (or their second cheap brand Kormoran).

The size is better IMHO for this car than the OEM choise.
Tjensen   
Mon May 14 2018, 11:43am
Member No: #954
Is the 235-50-18 the right size ? Electronics need to have it right for ABS etc. You should select 17" og 18" in Lexia. Can it use the original 18" rims ?
Bishop   
Mon May 14 2018, 11:50am
Member No: #868
I have Avon ZV7s on my C6 - they are great in the wet and dry, are quiet, have lasted a very long time now (25k+ miles) and were very good value when first fitted. I would love to forever use Michelins, but can only thoroughly recommend the Avons as being terrific VFM.
xxc   
Mon May 14 2018, 07:35pm
Member No: #3227
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.
Not a bad idea James, I'll rotate and get rid of them quicker, probably within weeks at the current rate of wear.
I don't know the code on the tyre sensors though, so I'll have to make a note of them when the tyres come off.
MGmike   
Mon May 14 2018, 10:38pm
Member No: #3151
xxc wrote ...

I don't know the code on the tyre sensors though, so I'll have to make a note of them when the tyres come off.

you don't need to worry about the codes, the C6 is clever and doesn't care which corner they are on... or more correctly.. it checks which code is received from which corner during initialisation.

bargi   
Tue May 15 2018, 09:09pm
MGmike wrote ...

xxc wrote ...

you don't need to worry about the codes, the C6 is clever and doesn't care which corner they are on... or more correctly.. it checks which code is received from which corner during initialisation.

It didn't when I got my tyres last changed. The garage put the wheels back on in different corners and I ended up destroying a brand new Michelin because it was reporting the wrong corner.(long story)

MGmike   
Wed May 16 2018, 11:46am
Member No: #3151
bargi wrote ...

MGmike wrote ...

It didn't when I got my tyres last changed. The garage put the wheels back on in different corners and I ended up destroying a brand new Michelin because it was reporting the wrong corner.(long story)

Well that's interesting! I'm intrigued to hear your long story by PM of you want to get it off your chest?

I've been doing a bit (lot) of reading to understand how the various systems work before I paid out for a TPMS reader/programming tool. In the C6 the TPMS ECU is capable of storing up to 10 sensor codes (IIRC) to cover summer and winter wheel sets for our European brethren who need such things. The ECU doesn't reference them to any particular location when displayed in Lexia, unlike the C5 which is location dependent. How the ecu works out which is where is quite clever but does rely on information from other senors e.g. ABS, Steering angle, speed, BSI etc. Therefore, if yours is reporting the location incorrectly it's just possible a wheel sensor or some other electronic mismatch is confusing things.

I think some controlled testing is called for to see if I confirm my understanding...

bargi   
Wed May 16 2018, 04:39pm
MGmike wrote ...

bargi wrote ...

MGmike wrote ...

Well that's interesting! I'm intrigued to hear your long story by PM of you want to get it off your chest?

I've been doing a bit (lot) of reading to understand how the various systems work before I paid out for a TPMS reader/programming tool. In the C6 the TPMS ECU is capable of storing up to 10 sensor codes (IIRC) to cover summer and winter wheel sets for our European brethren who need such things. The ECU doesn't reference them to any particular location when displayed in Lexia, unlike the C5 which is location dependent. How the ecu works out which is where is quite clever but does rely on information from other senors e.g. ABS, Steering angle, speed, BSI etc. Therefore, if yours is reporting the location incorrectly it's just possible a wheel sensor or some other electronic mismatch is confusing things.

I think some controlled testing is called for to see if I confirm my understanding...

I'm up for testing , have a Lexi/Diagbox also if that helps.
Let me know what you want to do.

Story goes like this. Got all 4 tyres changed by a local garage. I even called first to confirm they could handle TPMS systems and it was a Citroen, to which they said yes.

Picked up the car and drove home. Short drive in London not going over 30mph.
3 days later I have a hour or so drive. Due to an accident the first 10-15 miles were slow driving, not going over 30/40mph.
Once clear of the accident sped up to 70mph+, almost immediately tyre pressure warning soon followed by puncture detected warning, for the rear right tyre.
Pulled over to the hard shoulder and had a look at the tyre, was pumped up and fine.
Jumped back in the car and drove for an hour at motorway speeds, car handled fine.
When I pulled off the motorway sliproad and made a right hand turn I heard a thumping, pulled over and there was smoke coming from the rear LEFT wheel. The rim had almost completely chewed through the brand new Primacy 3!

1. The garage had damaged the valve. Under about 40-50mph the valve stayed sealed. Over that speed the centrifugal force pushed the valve over slightly and caused a leak.

2. The garage put the wheels back on different corners but definitely didn't update. I tested by letting the air out of all the wheels and all reported the wrong corners.

bargi   
Wed May 16 2018, 04:41pm
I think I remember reading somewhere that to activate new TPMS sensors you pump the tyre up to 40psi and they start transmitting on different frequency to indicate activation?
Not sure if that works with TPMS that already been activated?

Again, not sure on the above
mtee   
Wed May 16 2018, 08:13pm
Member No: #1924
I use 2 set of tyres: summer and winter. My C6 remembers all 8 sensors AND their locations.

When I buy new tyres, the dealer programs the sensors and locations correctly. As I switch fronts to rear and rears to front for every second winter/summer to balance tyre wear, after such a swap I once noticed that a flat was reported from the wrong end of the car.

Is it possible to re-program the sensor locations without Lexia or garage visit?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club