C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Citroen's Progressive Hydraulic Cushion Suspension

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Sat May 05 2018, 11:57am

Member No: #1
So we have seen the adverts but has anyone driven a car with it yet to compare it to a C6?

Far less complex than Hydractive 3 but looks to be 'the future'....

The blurb page at Citroen is: - Click Here -

Video:

Website
Swalleau   
Mon May 14 2018, 02:55pm
Member No: #3097
Dave,

I've done just over 150 miles in one. I took advantage of the 24 hour test drive as I need to replace a very tired C4 Coupe.

Although it is a long time since my BX days it actually reminded me of that experience. The car is light and with the 130bhp petrol engine there is plenty of go. The controls are soft and a tad remote, except the brake pedal, which is light and more instant. Not quite like the old LHM brakes but a hint of that feel.

Being light and small the car feels nimble, but the floaty suspension prefers a more stately input - so plan it, set it up and be progressive and all is very good. Snatching at the thing and trying to drive it like a hot hatch isn't very pleasant (even though the 130bhp engine encourages that behaviour!!).

I like the old Cactus and, had the seats been better, a gallic funky coloured one would have replaced the C4 Coupe - but the seats on the first one are just not good enough. This new one lacks the 'fun' and difference of the old one to my mind. The misses are; the boot and folding seats are not refined; the blind spots on the motorway are really blind; the heated seat option isn't available in the UK; other than the launch colour the paint palette is a bit bland; and you can't have the launch colour with a funky French interior.

The tech is incredibly similar to the C6. It lacks the buzzy bum lane warning, that job is fulfilled by a silly little beep and flashy light. The motoring press moan about having to adjust the temperature via the centre screen. What they keep missing is that on the left stalk there is a button. If you press it in you can tell the car to increase or decrease the temperature (albeit by and infuriating 1/2 degree). Other functions are available for voice control too.

In summary, I liked it. Quiet, plenty of toys, probably cheap enough once the haggling finishes, easy to drive normally and different enough at high speed across country to be engaging. The key thing is it is actually very comfortable and quiet. I did 160 miles over about 4 hours and felt totally unfatigued. When you think that this is a big C3 that is impressive. Obviously it isn't a C6, but it is a perfectly pleasant place to be when you realise it is a mass produced cheap car.

Cheers

Iain
bargi   
Mon May 14 2018, 03:58pm
Member No: #2590

am I the only one that finds it strange(deal breaker) the rear doors don't have winding windows?

C6Dave   
Tue May 15 2018, 03:13pm

Member No: #1
[quote]I've done just over 150 miles in one. I took advantage of the 24 hour test drive as I need to replace a very tired C4 Coupe.[/blockquote]

Interesting read, I had an early C4 Hatch that I did 97,000 miles in over 4 years (I was working at the time) which I traded for my 1st C6

I'm not in the market for a Cactus but if the suspension ever gets used on a larger car I may look at one with it, as long as it offers 4wd but knowing Citroen it's unlikely to happen.
Website
Swalleau   
Tue May 15 2018, 06:02pm
bargi wrote ...

am I the only one that finds it strange(deal breaker) the rear doors don't have winding windows?

Hmm, I'm not that bothered by the lack of winding windows in the back. Just wish the money saved there had been spent sorting out a flat load space when the seats are folded and that the heated seats had been included - I can have them in France.
Swalleau   
Tue May 15 2018, 06:13pm
Dave-Retired wrote ...

Interesting read, I had an early C4 Hatch that I did 97,000 miles in over 4 years (I was working at the time) which I traded for my 1st C6

I'm not in the market for a Cactus but if the suspension ever gets used on a larger car I may look at one with it, as long as it offers 4wd but knowing Citroen it's unlikely to happen.

My C4 has done 150000 miles. Mechanically fine, but the Aircon got broken, the cruise control is rubbish and the paint is nasty. It replaced a Xantia estate that had 200000 miles on the clock. C4 is not as well built as the Xantia! I'd love a second C6 without the lounge pack for general use and carrying mountain bikes but it's just too big to be practical.

I think the C5 Aircross will have the cushions. I reckon the CXperience/New C5 will also have the PHC suspension and if we are lucky a nice electric drivetrain?!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club