Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

"Anti pollution fault" caused by glow plug system.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Nikolaj   
Wed Sep 04 2019, 07:25pm
Member No: #4047
Any idear how long glow plugs last?
How many plugs has to fail before fault is raised?
I got my C6 in july, and had a Citroen garage check fault codes before buying, since "anti pollution fault" was showing.
First they said that the additiv tank needed topping up, so it would be no problem to drive home to Denmark from Germany (Bad Iburg), and they deleted the fault.
When test driving the car, it was in limb mode, and the fault came back. Back at the sellers place, we went straight up to the Citroen garage, now NOT in limb mode, (I now know why) and now they said glow plugs was reported faulty, but since they had changed the glow plugs only 2 years ago, thay had to be fine...
After getting my Diagbox tool, I did some test on relays including the glow plug relay, which failed with "open circuit", so I replaced the relay, but no difference.
I did also measure the glow plugs via the relay connector, and found 2 of them to have large resistense, ("open circuit") so that might be what the Diabox means!?
I can only hear 1 click at the first test cycle!
When testing EGR valves there are several "clicks".
I don't use the car for the moment, since it will always start up in limb mode, according the the temperature table for glow plug operation, starting is fine, (cooling water above 10 deg) but postheating will always kick in. (cooling water not above 60 deg.)
If I stop the car when hot, and wait a few minutes, before starting again, I'm out of limb mode, one more stop/start, and the fault goes away in the car fault log. (not Diabox)
I took the old relay apart, and it looks like the relay is able to detect any of the six plugs failing, by measuring if current is drawn from each of the plugs.

C6Dave   
Thu Sep 05 2019, 07:07am

Member No: #1
Have you run a 'Battery Condition' test via Diagbox to rule that out before going any further?
Website
Nikolaj   
Thu Sep 05 2019, 10:38am
No, but I have seen that mentioned in other posts.
Can the battery cause these glow plug system faults, even if it otherwise seems good, no starting problems, or other indications from the car?
Yes, I'm totally new to this C6 world, my old C5 2001, seems like a "Flint Stone" car compared to the C6, just much softer.
My former neighbor (Citroen mechanic) warned me against the C6, and is now quite dissapointed with me...
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 05 2019, 03:05pm

Weak or to small a battery can cause myriad faults/error messages on a C6 HDi.

My latest car started 'churning' and not starting straight away even in 24c heat. Diagbox test showed the Pre Heat Relay fault and poor battery condition. Changed both and it now starts soon as the key is turned.

BTW ignore your neighbour, he is jealous
Website
Nikolaj   
Thu Sep 05 2019, 07:53pm
Ahe yes, my wifes previous Clio started to ask for radio code a week befor poor starting indicated, that the battery was due for replacement.

Previous neighbour just want to keep me out of trouble.
You know the drill:
"How could you by that model, when I told you not to, by the way, it looks to be in god condition".
He did the topping op with additive, but the tank took less than 2 litre, so I doubt there was ever an issue with low additive level, the tank holds 3,5 litre, and I never saw warning in the display for low level, which should appear when there's 0,5 litre left in the tank.
Nikolaj   
Sat Sep 14 2019, 08:57pm
How do you run the "Battery Conditioner" test, with Diabox alone!?
The only battery test I could find is under "Delivery of the car", and that test requires another tester (Micron something) connetced to the battery to deliver data to the diabox.
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 15 2019, 03:08pm

Nikolaj wrote ...

How do you run the "Battery Conditioner" test, with Diabox alone!?
The only battery test I could find is under "Delivery of the car", and that test requires another tester (Micron something) connetced to the battery to deliver data to the diabox.

There w ere 2 options I believe, with or without the second tool. I only used Diagbox
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club