C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

C5 Thoughts please.....?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
mebedforduk   
Fri May 25 2018, 06:57am
Member No: #1780
Well after many many years of hankering after a C6 Im going to have to admit it wont tick enough boxes

I need
Something respectable to visit clients (C6 tick)
Something that is fine being driven across building sites ( C6 erm perhaps not)
Something that I can carry packs of 3M lengths of Sprinkler pipe in when my dopey lads forget to take it to site (C6 nope)
MPG - Go on (C6 could live with it)

Wish list
It goes up and down
I want a Citroen again
I like Citroens
I have a thing for Citroens

There that just about covers it

So
C5 2.0 Estate Exclusive with all the toys seems to fit the bill

Any reason why not? Steering rack, auto box erm?

Cheers

Mark
321dave   
Fri May 25 2018, 01:14pm
Member No: #614
2ilent8cho   
Fri May 25 2018, 09:17pm
Member No: #2626
The X7 C5 is a really nice car in Exclusive. I have 3.0 V6 X7 Exclusive and a 2.2 (173bhp) 2007 C5 Exclusive. Compared to a C6 they are very sensible, i've spent more money in 1 month of C6 ownership on fault repairs than i have in 7 years of C5 ownership.

The X7 in Exclusive has some nice touches the C6 does not such as the door bins lighting up when you put your hands in, massage feature for the drivers seat and the mood lighting is red and covers more of the dash and centre console unlike the white light on each door of a C6.

I believe the steering rack issue effects the earlier models ie 2008/2009, my 2010 one is still fine. If you come across a Tourer with the 3.0 V6 engine i recommend it, quite fuel efficient surprisingly , 40mpg on motorway style trips, low 30s around town but so much fun when you press that accelerator hard, but i'm going to guess you will be looking at the 2.0/2.2 HDI's. My auto box is still smooth on 93,000 miles, but like with the C6 get a fluid change done every so often ( i do every service as they can only change half the fluid as the other side is sealed). The French Car Forum has a common failure on X7 parts poll here you may want to view. - Click Here -
robingc33   
Fri May 25 2018, 10:20pm
Member No: #2303
Hi Mark,

In case it's useful...

I've had a 2014 C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Tourer from new as my day-to-day car and a 2006 2.7 HDi C6 as a bit of a hobby car for the last 3yrs. I've clocked up around 46k in the C5 from new and about 6k in the C6 since I got it (now nearly up to 60k).

I really love my C5 Tourer and always enjoy driving it. The C6 is very charismatic and exciting/satisfying to drive at speed, but in my experience not so all-round comfortable/practical (probably not helped by having the cream-coloured leather as opposed to the very relaxing black leather of the C5).

IMHO the C5 is a great driver's car and so well suited as both a day-to-day workhorse and as the ultimate long-distance cruiser. Fuel-wise I get around 40mpg on average and up to 44mpg on a long motorway run. The C6 does about 30mpg - tho it is tempting to drive it harder! Perrformance-wise the 2.2 C5 has plenty of power, maybe not as much as the C6, but still pretty impressive.
The C5 suspension feels very similar to the C6, tho maybe just slightly firmer.
Despite being a similar Aisin 6speed autobox in both cars, my C5 tends to behave more like a "cruiser" whilst the C6 seems more "active" in it's changes, as if readying for action at any moment (but maybe that's specific to my C6!).

The C5 electric seat adjustment is more comprehensive than the C6 (including headrest tilt) - and includes the "massage" function which the C6 doesn't have - the latter may seem trivial, but after several hours up the A1 or wherever it's great for revival
A minor gripe re the C5 is the lack of local storage space for the driver to put odd things - and who decided to put the cupholder inside the central armrest!!! But the C6 isnt much better in that respect.
The C5 has the more recent satnav, bluetooth and USB socket which also make it more useable than my significantly older C6 with RT3 disk-based satnav and boot CD changer - where I've had to improvise an add-on Bluetooth interface.
I'm careful to change the engine oil and filter every 6k in my cars (no way would I leave a turbo engine for 20k as per the schedule!) and my C5 has had all the formal/annual services.
Having had automatic gearbox problems with the C6 due to worn valves in the valve body I'll be changing the gearbox oil in the C5 box soon as a preventative measure. Hopefully the C5 doesn't have the same disintegrating plastic coolant ducts as the C6, tho time will tell - and hopefully the C5 dashboard won't go up in smoke as my C6 did!

The only problems I've had with my C5 are...

1) At the initial 1k "running-in" inspection one of the front stuts was found to be weeping and the dealer replaced both.

2) The car had the original fit of Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on optional "Atlantic" 18" wheels. I replaced the front pair with more of the same at about 25k. Over the last 20k or so a "wheel noise" from the rear became almost imperceptibly/very progressively apparent. I wasn't even sure it hadn't always sounded like that, but recently became concerned it might be rear wheel bearings - but found nothing on jacking each rear wheel. However, at the last MoT, the rear tyres needed changing and, on fitting a new pair of Michelin Primacy 4 tyres instead, the silence is overpowering!! I would never have believed that tyres could make such a difference.
I've just replaced the front tyres with Primacy 4s too - so essentially have got thro a set of four tyres in 46k (mainly rural driving - and nothing too frantic).

3) Not a fault, but interestingly my C5 rear brake pads needed replacement for my recent MoT so only lasted 46k whereas the fronts still have about 40% left. I put this down to use of the automatic parking brake - that "pulls" the car off the rear pad's grip every time you pull away from a handbraked stop; that must all add up. My C6 doesn't have automatic brake release function, so hopefully the rear pads in that will last longer.

4) I think I once had a headlight fault indication on the dashboard at night, but it dissappeared next time I started the car - and I didn't spot any difference in the lights anyway.

So, much as I like my C6 as a very unique and special car; the C5 Tourer is my preferred choice from a driving, practicality and cost viewpoint.

Good luck with your considerations,

Robin
mebedforduk   
Sat May 26 2018, 05:01pm
Member No: #1780
Thanks All

Robin- Thank you for exactly what I needed to hear. A C6 is not practical for what I need a car to do ( At the moment)

I covered many 100thous miles in XMs (&BX) over the years but have spent the last 10 in Audis. Boring but reliable, the current workhorse in approaching 300K and runs on neat waste veg oil. However it looks tired and scruffy.
The Wifes A6 Allroad Quattro is proof that we shouldn't spend all our lives being sensible.

So C5 shopping I will go. 2.0Excl Estate auto with all the toys. 10 plate ish

Wolsey House is only 5 Miles away but most of Danny's stock is sub 100k miles and this is reflected in the price. Personally I have always thought that a average or above miles on the clock means less stop start work. Usually a car a car that clocks a lot is relied on to keep working on the road every day so more preventative is carried out ( sometimes)

Will keep you all posted

Cheers

Mark

C6Dave   
Sat May 26 2018, 05:56pm

Member No: #1
mebedforduk wrote ...

Wolsey House is only 5 Miles away but most of Danny's stock is sub 100k miles and this is reflected in the price. Personally I have always thought that a average or above miles on the clock means less stop start work.

For the additional premium from Dan you get a car with a no quibble guarantee plus all the known problem bits sorted, i.e. gearbox flushed, brakes replaced, coolant pipes rust proofed etc. etc. so do the math when looking around
Website
Trainman   
Sat May 26 2018, 07:59pm

Member No: #86
I've got to add, I've had my 2.0 C5 Exclusive Tourer for about 14 months, It's cost me an a full set of tyres and a service and it's done 20,000 miles in that time.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club