3.0 V6 HDI 240 repeated total engine breakdowns

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
321dave   
Sun Apr 01 2018, 11:03am
Member No: #614
stevar wrote ...

hello, I have a C6 30Hdi with only 101000 KM and I think that I have the same trouble as you. I am in the French part of belgium, I was driving on the motorways with "sport" and suddenly with no noise the engine stopt, I thought first to A total breakdown off the battery, but with a new one it's also impossible to start, the starter of the car pump 600 amp and I just have a noise like TAC.

I hope I don't have a total breakdown, the car was produced in october 2009, I bought it in France 2 month ago with all the maintenance invoice to a private owner (no guarantee)

All level are Ok (oil, water etc)

Very sorry to hear this. When you get some more answers as to what has indeed happened will you let the forum know! Hopefully it's not a failed Crankshaft. Thanks for posting.
stevar   
Sun Apr 01 2018, 11:22am
Member No: #3467
To be honest I fear and I suspect that's the Crankshaft.

The car is driven back to Citroen on Friday the 30rd of march, may be they would give me news next week.
stevar   
Fri Apr 06 2018, 10:54am
Hello

At the moment I don't have good news about my C6. I have been today to the garage and the mechanics told me that there is a blow on extreme right of the oil sump.

I hit nothing my self, and I did not have any warning on the dashboard.

According to what he told me it's possible that the oil filter intake inside the oil sump is blocked and that the engine is thigt. I could not verify by myself.

He also try to turn the engine by the pulley on the crankshaft without succes. I wasn't present when he tried.

If anyone has any idee, I will take it.

Thank's
MGmike   
Fri Apr 06 2018, 11:48am
Member No: #3151
source a replacement engine and send the old one to me. I'll strip it and try and workout the cause of the failure before you do it again....

ps. don't use 'sport mode' for extended duration seems to be the answer..
stevar   
Fri Apr 06 2018, 12:02pm
Thank you for the proposition.

I already search for engine but they are without any accesoiries I need then the older one.

When I used the "sport" mode it was only because of the rear suspension working like a "see-saw". But you are right, I read somewhere that the "sport" mode is to avoid on regular use.
dennis_vogelius   
Mon Apr 09 2018, 04:57pm
Member No: #3477
I asked my independent Citroen repair shop about this problem, and their respons was OIL change.

As they explained then in the service manual you have to change every 30000 km, but as they clearly stated [%*^#@!].

Change HAS to be done at least every 15000 to high quality oil.
stevar   
Mon Apr 09 2018, 05:21pm
Thank's for your information.

And may be but how to know before, the car was regularly at Citroën services, according to what I read the problem of the "bearing shell" (coussinets de bielles)is well known by Range Rover.(same engine)

We say in french "plaie d'argent n'est pas mortel". I give a tear and I am very disapointed, I have to try to find the least bad solution, I don't believe anymore in Sint Nikolas, but I write today to Citroën.

joopajaa   
Tue Apr 10 2018, 04:55am
Member No: #3261
MGmike wrote ...

source a replacement engine and send the old one to me. I'll strip it and try and workout the cause of the failure before you do it again....

ps. don't use 'sport mode' for extended duration seems to be the answer..

I cant see any connection to engines or their failures with the suspension setting "sport". Not even with the sport mode on the gearbox since the RPM are the same on high speeds (it still uses 6th).
Tjensen   
Tue Apr 10 2018, 09:59am
Member No: #954
With the gearbox in "Sport" mode the RPM will be higher, in average, and the general feel at high speed is a absolutely more RPMs. This should be safe and no problem, but.... There is something with bearing shells that can move out of position. A design flaw ? A small batch of substandard parts ? I have read both and it is obviously more of a Land Rover problem, at least they have admitted something and sometimes repaired and adviced. Someone with contacs at Dagenham that can help us ?
stevar   
Tue Apr 10 2018, 12:06pm
If you search on the internet with for example "crankshaft failure range rover tdv6" you will find a lot of testimony, the story is always the same, nothing special, relatively low millage, the engine stop and it's blocked and nothing to do except replace the engine, pray and pay

- Click Here -
- Click Here -
Tjensen   
Fri Apr 13 2018, 09:45am
Member No: #954
We should get more precise information on the cars involved , the problem and a solution ! On the positive side there is a 3.0 Hdi with 400 000 km on the clock for sale. Actually many cars with high mileage ! The SA discussion also had a contribution from a technical person that pointed to a substandard part in crankshaft bearing system in some engines. And then a complicated causal chain including blocked oil channels, bearing shells that moved and sudden death. (The danger and problem sounds like the famous Citroen SM problem, but that was a problem with the timing chain system, and gradually several ways of fixing the problem emerged)
321dave   
Fri Apr 13 2018, 09:04pm
stevar wrote ...

hello, I have a C6 30Hdi with only 101000 KM and I think that I have the same trouble as you. I am in the French part of belgium, I was driving on the motorways with "sport" and suddenly with no noise the engine stopt, I thought first to A total breakdown off the battery, but with a new one it's also impossible to start, the starter of the car pump 600 amp and I just have a noise like TAC.

I hope I don't have a total breakdown, the car was produced in october 2009, I bought it in France 2 month ago with all the maintenance invoice to a private owner (no guarantee)

All level are Ok (oil, water etc)

I'm having some issues myself at the moment with regards to the brake switch reporting a permanent fault and its effecting the cruise control activation at the moment.
I drove the car today, and I know also i have a turbo pressure issue reported that seems to have turned up with the faulty brake switch as well. Coincidence or not I'm not really sure? But to tie in to the sport mode comments in this thread.

When i switched on sport mode on the car today it would not accelerate at all, no response to the accelerator being pressed at all, then on the second press of the accelerator a real slow sluggish response but when i switched off sport mode the car would accelerate as normal. So there's more going on with sport mode than we possibly know. I was surprised! Any thoughts?
stevar   
Fri Jun 01 2018, 11:04am
I receved the new engine a few weeks ago, the former engine is out of the car I have now to refit everything from the old one to the new.

I have checked the broken engine, it appear that's the crank shaft is totally exploded, I think the cause of this breakdown is due to a bump in the oil sump

321dave   
Fri Jun 01 2018, 01:29pm
stevar wrote ...

I receved the new engine a few weeks ago, the former engine is out of the car I have now to refit everything from the old one to the new.

I have checked the broken engine, it appear that's the crank shaft is totally exploded, I think the cause of this breakdown is due to a bump in the oil sump

Hi Stevar,
did you receive the engine with the manifold covers/belt covers etc? Was it paid from your insurance premium? Any idea how much the new engine cost including delivery at the moment. Thanks for posting the pics on the forum.
stevar   
Fri Jun 01 2018, 01:54pm
I received it like it's on the picture, unfortunatly I paied it with my money, at the moment it cost about 6000€ (10500€ if it comes by Citroen dealer) without Vat and above of that a money back of 1000€ when the old engin is back.

The old engine naked

The electrical harness

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club