C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Well hello from me :-)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
MGmike   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 05:06pm
Member No: #3151
Hmmm interesting! Thanks for the info. vaho.
I might need to rethink my strategy.
What a superb place and people we have on this forum. Very much appriciate the insights from you all.

e3steve   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 06:20pm
Member No: #1163
vaho wrote ...

For illustration one of my broken plastic connectors:

I've suffered the same issue; all coolant hoses duly replaced!
MGmike   
Tue Aug 08 2017, 04:57pm
Okay, a quick update…

I finally got back in the garage to make a start on the list…

After a bit of a struggle the gearbox (boy that is a heavy bug**r) its back on the engine and I’m now attending to the other end. The oil leak mentioned above has been tracked to the rear bank Camshaft seal, so that’s on order for the weekend!

Crankshaft seal, water pump, stat housing, inlet tank all replaced and timing belt ready to refit after cam seal.

Managed to break the front pulley (don’t ask! ) and the sensor on the front of the engine, the one with all the small vacuum pipes which also disintegrated as expected when touched (also on order and expensive!).

With a bit of luck, the lump should be degreased and ready to go back in by the end of Saturday.

The question is; back in to where!

It seems C6s are like London Buses! You wait for one to turn up and two come along together….. I’ve now acquired a second C6!

This one is a silver 06 Lineage with black interior that’s had its engine robbed for a RR Sport! I was assured it was a fully working model with only a cracked driver’s door glass (so he said!). But it was cheap and has four half decent tyres and a few other bits I can use.

My dilemma is; do I drop the lump in the 06 and hopefully be up and running sooner or continue with the 07 Exclusive and use/break the 06 for spares? I suppose a third option is to track down an engine and repair it for re-sale but with C6 prices so depressed I have excluded this.

Guess I’ll resolve which option to take over the next couple of weeks.

MGmike   
Mon Oct 09 2017, 07:45pm
Ok, it’s about time I updated things a bit…

Recommissioning the star ship CP07 is becoming an epic…. Mainly because I’m getting less than one day per week to work on it, what with work and family things. Add to this my lack of experience with all things C6 and you can see why it's taking a little longer than expected!

So, how am I doing with the list…..
Well not bad I think. Engine is back in with the replacement gearbox fitted. Thanks again to Robert at B.L. Auto’s for a little bit of advice to get the gear box out of park position to allow me to rotate the torque converter to bolt it back to the flywheel.

Before putting it in the following work was carried out:-
1, new timing belts and pullies (both ends)
2, replacement thermostat and inlet housings
3, none drive end oil leak traced to rear bank camshaft seal (replaced)
4, crank seal replaced (twice as I nicked the first one and didn’t want to take the risk of it leaking)
5, new water pump and coolant/antifreeze
6, both front and rear gearbox mountings replaced
7, one lower stub axle support joint replaced
8, engine bay degreased
9, heater pipe replaced (decided not to go all the way and replace the remaining pipes because of the escalating costs! If/when it’s back on the road I’ll do these as part of a rolling resto!).
10, new vacuum pipes across the top of the engine with sensor/actuator on the timing belt cover.

Engine is running (if a little roughly) and more importantly, the car goes back and forward as it should. I haven’t had it on the open road yet to fully check the box out but I’m quietly confident it will be okay!

Last weekend saw most of the remaining front end panels fitted (well there was no point putting them all back if the engine had to come out again was there!) and Murphy made an appearance again! I think I mentioned buying a second C6 for spares, well, I decided the use the headlamp unit as the original has a broken mounting. You guessed it, that has a broken one as well! Back to plan A and repair one of them.

Lexia has been out to reset the “DPF additive low” error (just got to check the tank has been refilled as the PO said).

Next up is the rear ABS sensor, front brake pads, wheels and tyres off the spares car. Then it’s on to the rear end and bumper removal to repair the supporting metal work and then fix the A/C, although that might need a pro to confirm what caused it to lose all its gas and on to the MOT!

The rough running needs looking in to at some point. It’s hunting when cold and stalls if you lift off the throttle e.g. when reversing over something. It seems to settle down when warm but I need to give it a bit longer to be sure. I’ll probably get the MOT and wait to see if any new error codes appear before looking further.

Oh, and I got the driver’s door switch wet and now one on the window switches has packed up

At this point I'm really pleased I bought the spares car! Who knows I might even have some bits left to sell to cover some of the costs!
cruiserphil   
Tue Oct 10 2017, 06:43pm

Member No: #38
Well done Mike!

What a mammoth amount of work.

Just a point on the stalling when cold when releasing the accelerator at low revs. There was a software update for this. Our ex C6 suffered from this effect. I remember getting the suspension software updated for the pitching issue and my friendly local independent advised that when updating the car for the suspension it also took an update for the injection system. After that I noticed the stalling when cold never happened again.

Best regards,

Phil C.
MGmike   
Tue Oct 10 2017, 07:25pm
Thanks Phil, good to know and added to the list 1x software update!
MGmike   
Tue Nov 14 2017, 10:46pm
Captains log starship CP07 Nov 17, mission; recommission

Just when you get a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel some [%*^#@!] chucks a grenade in and causes a roof collapse!!!

I’ve been working through the list and was doing well, or so I thought!
The driver’s door switch was donated from the spares car and is working, partially. The front window one touch action isn’t working and I guess I’ll check that out later.

I’m now an expert at removing the fuel tank after doing it twice in one day! Once to change the left rear ABS sensor only to find when checking with Lexia that the right sensor is duff! Either the old grey matter is playing tricks on me, or the right ABS sensor went off in the intervening weeks. I’ll go with the latter until proven otherwise.

Whilst messing with the tank I checked if the PO was truthful about the EOLYS tank refill and to my surprise…. He wasn’t! I’ve added a litre to see how we go.

The rear bumper has been off (well the drivers side has) to inspect and repair the “crash damage”. I defy anyone to remove it without breaking the attachments down the rear arch joint. A rubber mallet made swift work of pushing out the mounting point and restoring the alignment as well as knocking out a small dent in the qtr panel. It’s not perfect but it is a lot less noticeable.

Brakes have been checked, front pads replaced and new fluid run through whilst bleeding. I checked the rear anti roll bar drop links while I was under the rear end and one of those had a little play! Fortunately, the spares car had an almost new one to donate, saving a few pennies.

So, wheels and tyres off the spares car and on to the MOT! Err well no! Someone kindly punctured the side wall of one of the tyres so that’s scrap. I’ve moved the unused spare steel and two usable units over for now but I guess at least one and probably two new tyres are added to the list.

Then the grenade was launched! MOT was booked and I was doing the last few checks only to find the headlight washers aren’t working and the MIL decided to illuminate! Lexia says ….. Rear EGR valve stuck!!!!!! Oh how I’m looking forward to a few hours lying across the top of the engine to replace that, not! I knew I should have done it when the engine was out!!!! Ho humm on we go!

I’m now aiming for an on the road date of 1st Jan but, as with any major project, this remains fluid!!

Thanks to all on this site who have posted either technical documents or tutorials as without them I think I would have turned this in to a “breaking for spares” car long before now.. I’m now past the point of no return so will push on to the finish, even if the costs end up being more than it’s worth. Hopefully I’ll get a few years of enjoyment out of it without any other major expense (wishful thinking I know)!
321dave   
Tue Nov 14 2017, 11:09pm
Member No: #614
MGmike wrote ...

Captains log starship CP07 Nov 17, mission; recommission

Just when you get a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel some [%*^#@!] chucks a grenade in and causes a roof collapse!!!

I’ve been working through the list and was doing well, or so I thought!
The driver’s door switch was donated from the spares car and is working, partially. The front window one touch action isn’t working and I guess I’ll check that out later.

I’m now an expert at removing the fuel tank after doing it twice in one day! Once to change the left rear ABS sensor only to find when checking with Lexia that the right sensor is duff! Either the old grey matter is playing tricks on me, or the right ABS sensor went off in the intervening weeks. I’ll go with the latter until proven otherwise.

Whilst messing with the tank I checked if the PO was truthful about the EOLYS tank refill and to my surprise…. He wasn’t! I’ve added a litre to see how we go.

The rear bumper has been off (well the drivers side has) to inspect and repair the “crash damage”. I defy anyone to remove it without breaking the attachments down the rear arch joint. A rubber mallet made swift work of pushing out the mounting point and restoring the alignment as well as knocking out a small dent in the qtr panel. It’s not perfect but it is a lot less noticeable.

Brakes have been checked, front pads replaced and new fluid run through whilst bleeding. I checked the rear anti roll bar drop links while I was under the rear end and one of those had a little play! Fortunately, the spares car had an almost new one to donate, saving a few pennies.

So, wheels and tyres off the spares car and on to the MOT! Err well no! Someone kindly punctured the side wall of one of the tyres so that’s scrap. I’ve moved the unused spare steel and two usable units over for now but I guess at least one and probably two new tyres are added to the list.

Then the grenade was launched! MOT was booked and I was doing the last few checks only to find the headlight washers aren’t working and the MIL decided to illuminate! Lexia says ….. Rear EGR valve stuck!!!!!! Oh how I’m looking forward to a few hours lying across the top of the engine to replace that, not! I knew I should have done it when the engine was out!!!! Ho humm on we go!

I’m now aiming for an on the road date of 1st Jan but, as with any major project, this remains fluid!!

Thanks to all on this site who have posted either technical documents or tutorials as without them I think I would have turned this in to a “breaking for spares” car long before now.. I’m now past the point of no return so will push on to the finish, even if the costs end up being more than it’s worth. Hopefully I’ll get a few years of enjoyment out of it without any other major expense (wishful thinking I know)!

Hi Mike,
Well done for persevering. It can be frustrating, but in the end you get it all running sweetly. The headlight washer in my case was down to a blown fuse under the bonnet. And was grand after changing it out. EGR issues again are really common, but they can come at any time really. My restoration is still on going as I've limited time to effect repairs when needed, but the car has still done well. No harm also in increasing the oil change frequency to half the official recommended intervals to look after the engine as well. Not to mention also the gearbox fluid changes. But well done, and best of luck with the MOT.
MGmike   
Wed Nov 15 2017, 08:04pm
Thanks Dave,
yep, I'll start with the fuse and work out to the washer pump. Knowing my luck the bumper will be off again at the weekend!

I've read a lot about the EGR valves and realised it could go at anytime, especially given the poor care the car seems to have had in it's short life.

I change the oil in my C5 at 10k intervals and it's now about to hit 150k with no problems EGR or other oil related components. The C6 will get the same treatment and I'll probably replace on 2.5k intervals for the first 10k just to give it a bit of a clean out. I might even be tempted to run one of those engine flush products I've seen but never used.

Gearbox was changed out (see earlier posts) with new ATF, so all good there for another 50k ish (I hope ).

MGmike   
Tue Feb 27 2018, 09:53pm
Captains log starship CP07 Feb 18, mission recommission
The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter but still remains frustratingly just out of reach!

Things have been progressing slowly over the past few months and I’ve missed the first target date for the MOT, mainly because of illness over Christmas and then one of my C5’s and my sons BMW needing work for their respective MOT’s!

My Chief engineer has however, provided this update on what has been done…

A set of wheels have been refurbished (great value at £50 each for cash!), one new TPMS sensor fitted and a pair of new tyres for the front. One of the wheel centre covers is broken but the spares car will donate a replacement for that. I’ll also avoid a trip to the main stealer to activate and program the new sensor as a late Santa delivery deposited a Autel TS401 TPMS service kit in the garage. That should sort out the reported puncture which surprised me a little as I was expecting a “sensor not present” warning. Anyone care to comment/explain?

Headlamp washer had blown the fuse as mentioned by 321Dave but I decided to remove the bumper again anyway and replace one of the jets as it had a broken clip where the front cover is held on. Replacement donated by the spares car (that thing is turning out to be my best buy and hopefully a few bits left over to sell!!!).

Whilst doing the pre-MOT checks I found a number of brake lights and both the front orange marker lights were blown, these are now replaced. The markers with 501 LED’s. I can’t believe how cheap these are now.

I’ve been aware of the driver’s seat having a bit of movement in the frame and a quick look see revealed a broken frame! The PO must have been one heavy dude or the kids have used it as a trampoline! The seat has been removed, after a bit of puzzling on how to get to the rear bolts! Turns out there was a small nut approx. 5mm stuck in the runner preventing the seat moving all the way forward (big thanks to Robert at BL Auto for saving my sanity by confirming how far the seat should move forward). A simple repair with a small amount of weld has the seat back in service.

The one and only remote key case and buttons are toast and rather than try to replace them myself (the switches looked a bit small for my soldering skills these days) I invested in a repair service on eBay. A quick chat over the weekend confirms it’s repaired, tested and on it’s way back to me within two days. Fantastic service.

Oh, and the battery died. Truth be told I think it was always dead but I finally got fed up with it and fitted a new one.

Next on the to do list…., well I’ve managed to screw up my Lexia laptop and that’s re-installing as I type. Assuming I get it working again I’ll program in the TPMS code of the new valve.

Fortunately, the EGR valve seems to have unstuck its self, well almost. Lexia is reporting it remains 5% open when the engine is hot. I was going to run it for a while to see what happens but I've now acquired a replacement and will also fit that this weekend (time permitting!). Then its a full oil/filter service and fitting a new engine under tray which arrives later this week.

That’s all for now and the new target date for the MOT is by the end of March (just not saying what year!).

MGmike   
Tue Apr 10 2018, 05:27pm
Captains log starship CP07 Apr 18, mission recommission

The independent inspection has been successfully completed but early space trials have revealed some issues remain to be overcome before extended interstellar journeys are contemplated….

It passed the MOT but….

First a catch up on what was done before the MOT.
The rear EGR valve was replaced and I hope I never have to do that one again…. It’s like trying to replace a lock on your house front door from the outside through the letter box!! The task made slightly easier thanks to the tutorials and comments from others on here who have been there first. You all get a big shout out from me……

Thankfully I managed to rescue Lexia and she’s back giving sterling service! The TPMS ECU has been reprogrammed to get rid of the STOP warning after first using my new toy to read the sensor ID’s. The display still shows dashes instead of the OK status on each corner and it looks like I might have to find and replace the ECU after asking Lexia to check the correct pressures are in fact being received.

Oh and the offside rear ARB drop link started knocking for which the spares car donated a replacement.

And so on to the MOT….

On the way to the test I noticed a lack of pull when travelling up any sort of incline! Engine revs increase but drive through to the wheels is not all it should be e.g. 0-60mph measured in minutes and not seconds! I’m hoping it’s just a lack of ATF and I’ll be rechecking the level at the weekend.

Once that’s sorted it’s on to the cosmetics! I’ll start with fitting the engine undertray and I noticed some of the “spoiler” bits are missing from the bottom of the front bumper, the spares car will be donating replacements. It needs a [%*^#@!] good clean inside and out but the drivers carpet is very dirty to the point I think a replaced will be required. I’ll be on the lookout for another one at a decent price i.e. cheap, as well as replacing the mats at some point.

There are some paintwork repairs which will need attention, but these can wait until I’m sure it’s fit to remain on the road!
It turns out the battery wasn’t dead as the new one went flat after standing for a couple of weeks! How do low use members manage the battery status if the car flattens it from full charge to no charge after just a couple of weeks? Makes going on holiday very difficult!

And finally, an apology… One of the Scottish forum members contacted me before Christmas to get a few bits off the spares car and I said I’d get in touch when the weather improves! Sorry, I’ve lost your contract details… Please get in touch again and we’ll sort something over the next few weeks.

And, if you aren’t on the Facebook group…. Starship YR56 has arrived in the space dock for repairs!!!!!

A low mileage summer evening project that’s suffered total water loss and needs an engine transplant. Currently sitting with the front end almost stripped ready for the transplant in the next few weeks. Donor engine will be getting the full belt, pump and plastics replacements and I’ll be fitting the gearbox from the spares car as a precaution on Xanv6’s (aka Robert at BL Autos) recommendation (thanks Robert )
C6Dave   
Tue Apr 10 2018, 05:46pm

Member No: #1
MGmike wrote ...

It turns out the battery wasn’t dead as the new one went flat after standing for a couple of weeks! How do low use members manage the battery status if the car flattens it from full charge to no charge after just a couple of weeks? Makes going on holiday very difficult!

My car 'stands about' for weeks at a time as I bought it solely to use for long distance holiday trips, (100 miles + runs) and so far I haven't had any problems starting it even during the cold weather we have had.

Battery charge doesn't appear to be an issue and I have no idea how old the battery is as I never checked since buying the car back in August.
Website
jamescarruthers   
Tue Apr 10 2018, 06:24pm
Member No: #1548
You may have the wrong battery. Most of the car part websites have the C6 wrong apparently. Search on here so you can double check. It is a big old diesel to turn over when you are missing a few CCAs.

Second that about sitting about and not worrying about the battery. I left mine at the airport for 3 weeks and came back to that freezing cold weather and snow. I was worried but it started no problem (although my petrol engine will be easier to turn over than the diesel engine I presume you have).

It is discussed here, with info on the correct one: - Click Here -

Tjensen   
Wed Apr 11 2018, 09:39am
Member No: #954
Never had problems with starting. Even after 8-10 weeks it is only slightly slower and starts without a problem. A few weeks, even in 10 below zero is not a problem. You have a leak or a too small battery. (at least 800 CCCA or more, 100Ah or so)or a combination of weak battery and some wear in starter bearings,
MGmike   
Wed Apr 11 2018, 12:47pm
thanks for all the comments. Just be be clear, the battery was so flat it wouldn't even open the central locking and I didn't get to trying a start!

I'll check out the batteries but I'm sure it's only a 75Ah unit but has a decent CCA.

Tjensen, 8-10 weeks! I'm impressed. Like you I'm thinking there is something drawing more than it should. Would you be able to put a ammeter in your battery circuit and measure the current draw when the car is locked and has settled in to Park mode?

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club