Cranking but not starting after wash

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
dennis_vogelius   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 07:46am
Member No: #3477
Hey Guys.

Firstly THX for being here. I am very happy to have found this site and to be part of a great C6 community.

My problem is that I yesterday washed my car. Before the engine started PERFECTLY, but now this morning it just cranks over but not starting. It is minus outside, and I could suspect that some water came in where it should not.

Are there any out there whom have experienced the same and what did you do to get it going.

Dennis
321dave   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 08:08am
Member No: #614
dennis_vogelius wrote ...

Hey Guys.

Firstly THX for being here. I am very happy to have found this site and to be part of a great C6 community.

My problem is that I yesterday washed my car. Before the engine started PERFECTLY, but now this morning it just cranks over but not starting. It is minus outside, and I could suspect that some water came in where it should not.

Are there any out there whom have experienced the same and what did you do to get it going.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, if it is cold outside, could be the battery to be honest. I think most C6 owners have a very healthy respect for the battery. If it's in a low state of charge or old it will suffer in the cold mornings to start the car. The C6 needs a very good strong battery to operate. That's my experience to date. If the battery is 2-3yrs old that would be good to check along with your alternator and pulley system. Good luck.
dennis_vogelius   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 08:59am
Well, I honestly dont think it is the battery. It cranks very well, but there is just no start.

What I am afraid of is that there might have come some water where it should not go

As of now I am chargin the battery just to see if that is the problem. When we had minus 25 outside it started up without ANY problems, and this problem only came AFTER i washed the car.

It has to be said that when I washed it, it was plus but in the night it turned into minus.

COULD it be the fuelpump that frose up
C6Dave   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 09:33am

Member No: #1

COULD it be the fuelpump that frose up

Check the fuel filter, waxed diesel could have blocked it.
Website
dennis_vogelius   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 09:42am
I have allready had the filter out and looked at it. It looks fine.

I am afraid that SOMETHING that should not be wet got wet, and therefore I have a no start problem.

I get no faults.

DAMN, what a shame that I do not have Lexia

The only thing that I actually see on the display in the car is that it goes into econonmy mode.
321dave   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 11:42am

I have allready had the filter out and looked at it. It looks fine.

I am afraid that SOMETHING that should not be wet got wet, and therefore I have a no start problem.

I get no faults.

DAMN, what a shame that I do not have Lexia

The only thing that I actually see on the display in the car is that it goes into econonmy mode.

Sure, that's normal for the car. When you say you cleaned the car, you didn't spray the engine directly? Just the outside, Sorry if it's a dumb question. When you open the bonnet and looked at the engine, did you see any sensors or wire out of place or wet? It also might be just a coincidence that you are having an issue after washing the car. Any issue with opening and closing the doors? It unlocks fine? Wonder if it's an immobiliser issue with the key fob?

Would be a lot easier with diagbox to help you.

321dave   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 11:53am
Oh forgot Fuel pump. When you put the key in and get ready to start the engine can you hear the fuel pump start up near the fuel tank. If you hear nothing, first check the fuse and if ok then the pump is gone. Worth checking that and you don't need the Lexia to hear the sound. Hope that helps.
dennis_vogelius   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 12:34pm
Hmmmmmm, These are now what I have checked.

Fuel pump - operating and giving sound
Manually operating windows - not working
Manually operating sunroof - not working
Central locking - working
Using radio - not working
Seat adjusting - not working
Engine start - not starting

These are the present findings for now

I am really getting worried here. Had the car for about 1½ month and now this.

I have to get some diagnostic tools for sure, and I am not a noob reg. repairing except for electronics.

Please tell me I am not screwed
C6Dave   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 01:12pm

Member No: #1
It's probably something simple like a blown fuse, but which one as there are 2 main fuseboxes, inside the cabin and engine bay + the 'maxi' fuses in the engine bay so quite a few to check.
Website
dennis_vogelius   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 01:15pm
Welll, guess I will have to check them one by one, but can you perhaps guide me to where it is a good idea to start.
dennis_vogelius   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 02:10pm
Well, off to get myself a diagbox and Lexia.

Hope that you guys then can help me further if I get some data from that
cruiserphil   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 02:59pm

Member No: #38
Hello Dennis,

If there are no faults shown on the central display or the engine management lamp is not lighting on your speedo console you may not find any faults on lexia/diagbox.

The windows/seat/radio not working is because the car is in economy mode. This will only clear when the engine starts.

In addition to what the other forum members have said:

To ensure the fuel pump is delivering fuel, unclip the feed pipe to the fuel filter and point it into a container. Turn on the ignition. Watch for fuel. If fuel flows turn off the ignition and place your finger over the end of the pipe to switch off the pump. Then reconnect to the filter.

Check also the connection to the crankshaft sensor. If this does not pick up the engine will not start.

Best of luck.

Phil C.
321dave   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 04:36pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello Dennis,

If there are no faults shown on the central display or the engine management lamp is not lighting on your speedo console you may not find any faults on lexia/diagbox.

The windows/seat/radio not working is because the car is in economy mode. This will only clear when the engine starts.

In addition to what the other forum members have said:

To ensure the fuel pump is delivering fuel, unclip the feed pipe to the fuel filter and point it into a container. Turn on the ignition. Watch for fuel. If fuel flows turn off the ignition and place your finger over the end of the pipe to switch off the pump. Then reconnect to the filter.

Check also the connection to the crankshaft sensor. If this does not pick up the engine will not start.

Best of luck.

Phil C.

Grand, as cruiserphil was saying most of the list such as windows and radio etc are due to economy mode due to lack of starting. That's what happens to all the C6. So, I think we're still none the wiser as to the real issue yet. Crank position sensor? Did you find and wet patches inside the engine bay?
dennis_vogelius   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 06:43pm
YEEEHAAAA, I now got myself a Lexia. Just need to install and get THAT running.

Anywhow, NOW I will actually end up seeming like a COMPLETE and proven IDIOT.

Where is the crank sensor located, and WHERE would I find the fuel filter so I can test if the engine at all receives fuel
321dave   
Thu Mar 22 2018, 07:10am

YEEEHAAAA, I now got myself a Lexia. Just need to install and get THAT running.

Anywhow, NOW I will actually end up seeming like a COMPLETE and proven IDIOT.

Where is the crank sensor located, and WHERE would I find the fuel filter so I can test if the engine at all receives fuel

Don't worry, have a look for the camshaft & crankshaft sensor locations in Gmerrys post - Click Here -.
Check the fuel filter replacement download here also
- Click Here -
to start with the fuel filter, it is under a flat metal black plate to the right of the engine looking in from the front. Good idea to fit a new one but you will need to bleed after fitting to get rid of any air! See the download instructions.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club