C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

C6 Suspension 'Pitching'

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Rich   
Mon May 28 2012, 04:33pm
Member No: #542
Take it to Citroen. That's what I did and they simply applied the update. Its a quick process. My suspension has been bang on ever since.
rogerandoutman   
Sun Jul 22 2012, 06:44pm
Member No: #466
I have endured my pitching suspension, with a side to side wobble since buying my car last may, have had it checked at two main dealers and had a software upgrade and even endured a drive round with a 'technician' who announced that all C6 behaved this way. I accepted that they knew better than me, but still was not convinced.
I eventially, last week, visited B&L, they bounced the front up and down "one of your front spheres has collapsed" so I ordered two from suplex and have just had B&L fit them, change the transmission oil and fit new rear pads, at 32,000 miles car is transformed. No main dealers again for me! Original sphere insert had totally collapsed. I suppose that the secondary spheres supplied an ammount of compliance and the LDS pumped up the car to the correct ride hight. At least with conventional steel spings it is pretty obvious when you have a broken spring
cruiserphil   
Mon Jul 23 2012, 01:30pm

Member No: #38
Was it one of the main strut spheres?

Regards,

Phil C.
rogerandoutman   
Mon Jul 23 2012, 03:58pm
Front drivers side. I guess I was lucky the strut did not go through the bonnet.
But most of my mileage is up and down the motorway and in that situation the system gives the immpression of normal suspension. the swaying was really pronounced when driving over indivdual road humps, this pitched the car from side to side
cruiserphil   
Tue Jul 24 2012, 08:19am

Member No: #38
If you suspect a problem with hard suspension, I find a useful way of testing the corner spheres is to drive slowly over a speed ramp at an angle. You can then compare the reaction of each corner and even detect if there's imbalance on each side. The steeper the ramp the better.

Regards,

Phil C.
michaelb   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 12:44pm
Member No: #14
rogerandoutman wrote ...

I eventially, last week, visited B&L, they bounced the front up and down "one of your front spheres has collapsed" so I ordered two from suplex and have just had B&L fit them, change the transmission oil and fit new rear pads, at 32,000 miles car is transformed. No main dealers again for me!

I had my Quattroporte in Bill McGraths yesterday. They gave me a lovely tour of the exotic machinery under their care; £100,000 Mistrals being rebuilt. Looking at the Citroën era Khamsins we got to talking about Citroëns. Andy, the owner, told me he had the two lads from B&L visit him a few days ago. It seems they collaborate on older Citroëns; McGraths supplied some hard to come by parts to B&L.

Andy was full of praise for them. If I have another Citroën they would be my choice for indie.
rogerandoutman   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 06:43pm
Just to change the subject, a friend of mine recently bought an ex demonstrator Quattroporte, a week later he had the front nearside taken off by a skip lorry, whist waiting to exit a underground garage. It was repaired, but took the rightoff value and bought a year old Panamera, which apart from the looks, he feels is a far superior car, especially for his daily commute into Central London. I understand that B&L will tackle Massers, after all after Citroen took over Maserati, they used the 2.5 V6 in the SM. I drove a Bora with the Ciroen Upgrades and certainly felt that their tweeking did little to improve the original
michaelb   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 08:40pm
Member No: #14
rogerandoutman wrote ...
which apart from the looks

But isn't that the clincher? How can he live with such a dog's dinner of a car I seriously considered the Lexus LS460, which on every measurable level is a better car than the QP, but I couldn't park such an ugly jelly mould in my garage!

It's a shame the Citroën/Maserati marriage was given more time to bear fruit. Citroën were certainly lacking in the engine department - the DS engines date back to 1935. Of all the classic Masers it's the ones with LHM that I love: Meraks, Khamsins.
drummond   
Thu Jul 26 2012, 08:24am
Member No: #238
Ow! Michael, in 1934 the Tractions were in the forefront of engine design, it's only that the flat six for the DS had cooling problems that caused Javel to go back to the 20 year old design.

If Puiseux had had more faith in 1952, Citroen would have had a world beater of an engine- which means that they would never have had to buy Maserati....discuss!
rogerandoutman   
Thu Jul 26 2012, 09:47am
I was not aware of a flat 6 was the GS engine 2/3 of this, that engine was a real belter. I remember upsetting a number of BMW drivers in an Ami Super, a early Q car. A friend of mine had to have his con rods remetaled in his light 15, shells still had not been adopted
drummond   
Thu Jul 26 2012, 02:50pm
No, the GS engine was a new design, but the original 2cv engine had some affinity with the flat 6.

It was water, rather than air, cooled although they had some which were air. Apparently, the air cooling was too loud...The original cahier des charges for the DS had a genuine 3 abreast in the front, on a bench seat. The traction motor then went in, and hence the ""cutout".

Tim
Gobxoy   
Fri Jul 27 2012, 05:40am
Member No: #786
Dispite being

Wonder if some bright spark knowing the history ever put a 911 better still 930 flat six and autobox.

Better still RX8 engine and Porsche auto box. small smooth and auto.

Day dreaming.
drummond   
Fri Jul 27 2012, 07:43am
There have been 2cv's cut and shut with 1015 GS engines. I've seen them around, but not driven one. The Ami Super, I have driven, in France- quite a car, back in the days.

Citroen had the Wankel patent- remember the Birotor? so I think that an RX8 and Porsche box would be a great idea. However, wanted, one DS.....
Tjensen   
Sat Jul 28 2012, 10:13am
Member No: #954
I think the GS engine is inspired by the elegant Panhard constructions (bought by Citroen in early 1960s) with no connection to the flawed DS 6-flat (that also had serious ouput power problems. Anyone with information on the Panhard/GS story ?
rogerandoutman   
Sat Jul 28 2012, 06:12pm
Wankel and autobox? NSU had mated a three speed manual via a torque convertor and vacume operated clutch, one of the reasons for the high rate of engine failures i.e the seals wearing on the housing and causing a ripple effect and thereby ruining the commpression, was that owners drove off in third expecting the torque convertor to supply the torque mulitplication to pull awway, but it was the low revs that execerbated the engine wear.

The vacume clutch was fine unless when powering through a roundabout and you knee touched the gear lever and you lost drive especially in the wet, the car slid sideways a couple of yards, having done it once, you kept your left knee well away from the gear stick
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club