3.0 V6 HDI 240 repeated total engine breakdowns

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ET   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 09:35pm
Member No: #3355
Dear all,
I amthe owner of a C6 3.0 V6 HDI 240 of may 2011.

My first engine broke in July 2015 when accelerating on a german motorway at 85.000 km. It was replaced by a new engine whereon the accessories of the old engine have been mounted.

This second engine broke (again when accelerating on a german motorway) two years and 50.000 km later (total kilometers 135.000)

The engine breakdowns happened 1.500 resp. 3.500 km after the last service by CITROEN and without any prior warning signs. The engine just got out and it was thereafter impossible to start it again. English web-sites report similar cases for Range Rover Sport with the same engin manufactured by Ford, Dagenham and it seems that Land Rover issued a service bulletin and has changed the design of the crankshaft bearings from 2012 on.

If anyone has experienced a similar breakdown or knows something about its possible causes I would highly appreciate any information

Thank you and very best regards

Egbert Traum
Tjensen   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 10:44pm
Member No: #954
There are some discussion on the net, for the Rover people I think. A small series of engine with faulty/low quality parts in that area that may lead to breakdown, and that some dealers have taken the repair with a reference to knowledge about these problems. Are you the only C6 owner with this experience ? (South Africa ?)

My "breakdowns" was just alternator clutch (130.000) that made the multi-belt skip and then a faulty repair of that problem made it happen again. Running nice and smooth now, but with a little more noise on startup (3,0 Hdi 2010, 135 000 kms) UPDATE AND CLARIFICATION: I had no accidents like the one in this thread, my problems was not serious and only linked to accessories. Even the noise on startup has now disappeared. But oil/water heat exchanger gasket failed recently. Expensive and time consuming. Now 142 000 km and even more smooth and nice.
321dave   
Thu Dec 07 2017, 04:44pm
Member No: #614
Tjensen wrote ...

There are some discussion on the net, for the Rover people I think. A small series of engine with faulty/low quality parts in that area that may lead to breakdown, and that some dealers have taken the repair with a reference to knowledge about these problems. Are you the only C6 owner with this experience ? My "breakdowns" was just alternator clutch (130.000) that made the multi-belt skip and then a faulty repair of that problem made it happen again. Running nice and smooth now, but with a little more noise on startup (3,0 Hdi 2010, 135 000 kms)

Sorry just for clarity, when you say broke, you mean the crankshaft broke accerating on the autobahn? When you had the problems intially what speed/revs were you doing? Thanks
ET   
Thu Dec 07 2017, 07:59pm
Dear All,

thank you for your answers. Here is what I found on UK Car Reviews

Problems and recalls: L320 Range Rover Sport (2005-2013)

2005-2012 Range Rover Sport 2.7L TDV6 and 3.0L TDV6: crankshaft bearing failure
In May 2014, Land Rover issued service bulletin SSM71816 for Land Rover L320 Range Rover Sport vehicles that had V6 diesel engines manufactured from 2005 to 2012, i.e. the Range Rover Sport 2.7L TDV6 and 3.0L TDV6. According to the bulletin, these vehicles could experience crankshaft failure due to:

• Incorrect location of the main crankshaft bearing shells during assembly; or,
• Rotation of the crankshaft bearing shells during normal use.
Owners have reported experiencing sudden engine failure and having had less than thirty (30) seconds to pull off the road once abnormal engine noises are heard. The service bulletin lists the following as symptoms of crankshaft failure:

• The engine may make a loud ‘rumbling/knocking’ noise when running which worsens under load. Furthermore, the engine oil pressure warning light may flash or be continuously illuminated, especially at low engine speeds;

• There may be a hole in the oil sump or engine cylinder block, with oil leakage and/or metallic debris in the under-tray; and,

• If the crankshaft seized, it would not be possible to turn the engine (via the starter motor or crankshaft pulley bolt).

It is understood that a new crankshaft bearing design was introduced in 2012 to prevent crankshaft bearing failure.

In 2015, when accelerating on the motorway the revcounter of my first engin suddenly fell to zero (it felt like breaking) and I heard a noise followed by a big cloud of engin oïl at the back of the car. As these engins are not repared but replaced by new ones there was only a summary diagnosis of the cause = bloched piston and broken connecting rod that has made a little hole in the engin block.

In 2017 it happened again but the engin block remained intact. In Germany the engin was seized and could not be turned any more by the starter. 2 weeks later in France, CITROEN was able to turn the engine which made a loud rumbling noise from its bottom but did not start. Oil and coolant was then OK according to CITROEN.

Two more weeks later an Insurance expert was equally able to turn the engin with the same result. But he measured an oïl level of about 0.7 liters above the maximum and thought that a dilution of the oïl by diesel was the cause (my CITROEN Garage and I feel that this is not the case).

Happily the car is still Under extended warranty. So it willbe repaired. But as the warranty is running out I absolutely want to know the cause and how to avoid it.

Therefore expert proceedings will start on December 11, 2017 and I shall keep you informed about the results.

Best regards

Egbert Traum
ET   
Thu Dec 07 2017, 08:05pm
One more information:

In both cases the automatic gearbox was in "Sport" modus and thus revving to its maximum in each gear. Therefore, one of the causes that I imagine, would be a failure of the revsensors or revlimiters of the engin or of the automatic gearbox

Best regards

Egbert Traum
b4mky   
Thu Jan 11 2018, 05:20pm
Member No: #2635
Hi all, This problem of crankshaft failures has happen to a Motor trader friend of mine 7 times in the last 2 years ..... all on the 3.0 hdi peugeot/citroen unit in land Rovers, however no failures for him in the 2.7 versions.

He hates the 3.0 diesels and will now not buy the unless 2013 onwards when the crankshaft main bearing journal/thrust washer problem was solved.

Sorry for bad news, but guess it could be solved before it blows, probably engine out.

All the best.

2ilent8cho   
Sat Jan 13 2018, 08:50pm
Member No: #2626
This thread scares me, i don't have a C6 (one day...) but i do have a 2010 C5 with the 3.0 HDI engine in though and i absolutely love the engine performance and the car. After seeing a 3.0 HDI C5 on auto trader with 231,000 miles on the clock late last year i thought these engines must be good, looks like i might be wrong.
Hattershaun   
Sun Jan 14 2018, 06:38pm
Member No: #320
I've not heard of a single 3.0HDi engine in a Peugeot or Citroen give any trouble.

Remember the Jaguar & Land Rover installation is quite different;
- JLR use over-fueling to clean the DPF, which can lead to the engine oil getting contaminated with fuel & lack of proper lubrication.
- PSA use Eolys fluid
- Transverse mounting in PSA (front wheel drive) vs Longitudinal mounting in JLR (rear wheel drive or 4x4 with different gearbox).
ET   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 09:32pm
2ilent8cho wrote ...

This thread scares me ...

Dear All,

please note that I did not want to scare anybody and I would agree if you change the title of this topic in order to avoid this.
Indeed I like the 3.0 HDI engine very much and it gave me full satisfaction for 85.000 and 50.000 km which is not nothing and on the internet you can find cars with more than 400.000 km. Furthermore the engine break down occured both times not in France where the car is registered, but on German motorways during accélérations to sppeds well above the speed limits in the UK and in France (before I had regularily travelled at speeds of 200 to 230 km on the new and less crowded motorways of former East Germany). Consequently you may consider that such hard work is too much for the 3.0 HDI engine and that it will last much longer in the UK and in France. This could also explain why such breakdowns (that come from nowhere) are mostly recorded for Land/Range Rovers that are used under more severe conditions and only in very few cases for C6 or C5.
After 3 month waiting the new engine for my car has arrived. The old engine will now be dismantled and checked and I shall thereafter inform you about the results.

Best regards
Egbert Traum
ET   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 09:34pm
Hattershaun wrote ...

I've not heard of a single 3.0HDi engine in a Peugeot or Citroen give any trouble.

Remember the Jaguar & Land Rover installation is quite different;
- JLR use over-fueling to clean the DPF, which can lead to the engine oil getting contaminated with fuel & lack of proper lubrication.
- PSA use Eolys fluid
- Transverse mounting in PSA (front wheel drive) vs Longitudinal mounting in JLR (rear wheel, drive or 4x4 with different gearbox).

ET   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 09:46pm
It is correct that the 3.0 HDI engines have constantly injected small quantities of EOLYS mixed to the diesel. But further to what I read on the PSA website, there is also some additional diesel injected during the regeneration process. Probably because the car is almost exclusively travelling on motorways, I never had any notice of such regeneration process or of a full particle filter.
Nevertheless the first expert that checked my car acknowledged an oïl level above the maximum and thought that the oïl (changed 4000 km before) is diluted by 10 to 20% of diesel. The injectors have been checked OK.
Best regards
Egbert Traum
gmerry   
Thu Jan 25 2018, 09:58am
Member No: #21
I wonder why b4mky names the 3.0 engine as a "3.0hdi peugeot/citroen unit in land Rovers" when the development engineering, especially for 3.0, was all done by Ford?

Another thing to keep in mind in the discussion, as already pointed out is that the PSA applications are FWD transverse, the LR are all fore and aft. This has a influence on the sump oil performance (oil pickup etc). LR applications burden the crankshaft system with significant unsupported accessories drive - this all feeds back into the crankshaft dynamics.
ET   
Tue Mar 06 2018, 08:17pm
Dear All,

I am sorry to inform you that the expert proceedings have been stopped before dismantling and examining my engine. Consequently we will never know what was the cause of the breakdown.
I will not use any more the "Sport" modus with my new engine and hope to enjoy the care and to have only good news for you in the future

Best Regards
Egbert Traum
Tjensen   
Wed Mar 07 2018, 10:08pm
Member No: #954
My expert (=my garage) told me to never use sport for long periods because it harmed the engine, but no specific reason. I have to admit that at German Autobahn at high speed (200-240 km/h), I felt that "sport" gave better control and response.

UPDATE: After a new discussion with my expert he told me that a friend (in Poland) had bought a C6, after a short time he tested it at high speed/revs and crashed the crank. That was why he had warned me about using gearbox "sport" for long periods.
stevar   
Sun Apr 01 2018, 09:24am
Member No: #3467
hello, I have a C6 30Hdi with only 101000 KM and I think that I have the same trouble as you. I am in the French part of belgium, I was driving on the motorways with "sport" and suddenly with no noise the engine stopt, I thought first to A total breakdown off the battery, but with a new one it's also impossible to start, the starter of the car pump 600 amp and I just have a noise like TAC.

I hope I don't have a total breakdown, the car was produced in october 2009, I bought it in France 2 month ago with all the maintenance invoice to a private owner (no guarantee)

All level are Ok (oil, water etc)

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club