petrol quality

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
branouxx   
Wed Feb 28 2018, 12:14pm
Member No: #3334
Hallo,
Since september 2017 I'm the happy owner of a C6 3.0 exclusive petrol and recently I had a problem with a coil (or bobbin or spool, I'm Dutch so not sure what's the right word:).
The (official and reliable Citroendealer) service station told me that this could have been caused bij poor petrol quality (budget 95). They advised me to use only 98 or 102 petrol quality.
Does anyone have an opinion on this subject? Thanks for a reaction.
Best regards Luke

ps I had them replace all the coils, all of them about 10000 miles old.
MGmike   
Wed Feb 28 2018, 12:50pm
Member No: #3151
My reaction to that is Bull

Coil packs (as we know them in the UK) are a regular weakness in just about any car from all the manufacturers. I've just replaced one in my sons BMW and regularly replaced them in my early 3.0 C5. Thankfully they have got a lot more reliable since then.

From a technical view point, it is possible that if the plug doesn't fire (as a result of 95 Ron petrol?) then the energy built up in the coil pack needs to dissipate somewhere and therefore could cause a failure as it tries to find the quickest way to earth. However, I very much doubt it would be due to the petrol and more likely to do with the plug and or the plug gap.

I hope you kept the working ones as spares...

jamescarruthers   
Wed Feb 28 2018, 04:03pm
Member No: #1548
Yes, sounds like absolute rubbish they are talking.

Have suffered a dead coil on my own car. Easy to replace and not an expensive part (for one). I've just replaced one, but if another goes, I'm thinking of doing all to them.

Good luck my petrol powered friend!
bargi   
Thu Mar 01 2018, 10:22pm
Member No: #2590
Very much doubt it also.
Thankfully they're individual coils. My VX220 is a single cassette of 4 and about £200. One goes they all get changed.
ul9601   
Fri Mar 02 2018, 05:49am
Member No: #1975
With C5, front bank coils were straightforward but, rear ones were more involved (I don't see it should be much different with C6)
jamescarruthers   
Fri Mar 02 2018, 07:22am
Member No: #1548
Good point about access there that I hadn't considered. Mine was a front one.

Regarding petrol, I always put in Premium. I have no idea if it is better but it seems to go with the character of the car!
markp   
Sat Apr 28 2018, 11:39pm
Member No: #1746
I had to have a single coil on my 3.0 petrol C6 a couple of years ago. As I remember it, the mechanic first checked if the fault moved with the coil by moving the coil in question to the other bank of the V6. The fault moved, so he replaced the coil.
Coil failure certainly can't be caused by low quality petrol, only by some kind of ignition system short circuit (which is what happened on my XM after some gearbox work damaged a wire) or the coil pack ageing due to heat.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club