Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Timing belt change, what else to do whilst she's opened up?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
321dave   
Wed Feb 21 2018, 04:15pm
Member No: #614
carlosbeneto wrote ...

Cheers for the pictures! I'll definitely be removing the engine mount and assessing if it needs replacing (always easy to do in the future). I'll probably be starting tomorrow as I now have all the parts.

I've just discovered what looks like an LDS leak somewhere in the front left strut too It's becoming an expensive proposition to get this car back up to speed!

I know, me to. I had a leak as well in my drivers slide strut and it was also going moving up at the top. So i definitely replaced it as fast as i could get a replacement. All fine now.

carlosbeneto   
Fri Feb 23 2018, 07:51pm
Member No: #3425
Progress report!

Today I started the job. All in all not too bad (apart from removing the timing covers, do they really need a million screws in the most awkward positions?). The only hiccup is that, as wisely predicted on this thread, the vacuum lines going to the swirl actuators have snapped. Am I right in thinking that part number is 1622Y7?

I've got to say it hasn't been as complicated as I was expecting, the trickiest bit was probably removing the stupid mudguards! I think it's a good job that I'm doing this replacement, the belts really do look on their last legs (2 years overdue).

On the downside I've discovered what looks like a massive LDS leak on the front left cylinder. Haven't had a chance to investigate it yet...

A few pics

321dave   
Sun Feb 25 2018, 11:10am
Hi Carlos,
well done, and thanks also for your feedback and photos, much appreciated. I've attached a link to more information from retired-Dave and Cruiserphil regarding info to order the pipes or I believe G from the forum also used some copper brake lines he had around the garage as a direct replacement as the sizes were the same fit.

- Click Here -

Cunifer pipe solution from G
- Click Here -
carlosbeneto   
Sun Feb 25 2018, 10:08pm
Thanks for the links Dave, I'd seen the one with the part number but I'm going to give the DIY repair a go! I have a shop just down the road that sell the stuff, worth trying it out before shelling out £190 for a few vacuum lines! Thank you so much for the link!

I have another progress report, new belt, tensioners and idlers, water pump and accessory belt + tensioner and idlers are all back on the engine and I've just got the intercooler pipe and throttle body to finish off. If I can pull the copper tube trick off I should be ready to start her up tomorrow! It'll be a nervous moment as this is the first timing belt I've ever done (I must have a taste for pain learning on a V6). Everything has been done by the book, although I must say only putting 26nm of torque (2.6 danm according to torque specs) felt uncomfortably low! I'm sure the designers knew better than me, I do have a tendency to over-torque stuff...

Anyway, a few more open-heart surgery pictures (old belt vs new belt) plus a gratuitous pic of my 2 machines together!

[link][img]

carlosbeneto   
Sun Feb 25 2018, 10:10pm

321dave   
Mon Feb 26 2018, 05:49pm
carlosbeneto wrote ...

That's great Carlos, now you have two classics! Well done.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club