C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Suspension Problem

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Citnut   
Wed Feb 07 2018, 12:49pm
Member No: #2182
Hi youall, My first post, been a member for couple years. Last wednesday we (my wife and I) set off to visit wife sister in Mawgan Porth Cornwall which is 56 miles, set off and had the service light come on a a message on screen
suspension problem do not exceed 55 mph. so I stopped the car turned off, waited 1 min. started again hoping this would clear fault, not so, we continued and found suspension very soft much softer than normal and sport mode had no effect, after a few miles found it manageable. Just before Launceston had to stop for 10 mins.roadworks. shut of engine, on starting again suspension back to normal, has any one had similar happen and WHY? Bob.H (citnut)
Tjensen   
Wed Feb 07 2018, 01:04pm
Member No: #954
Seem like it was stuck in the softest position in suspension (Hydractive system) or the C6-V6 spesific schock absorbers (?), or both. Do not do anything expensive, just check the stored fault codes in Lexia/Diagbox and check LDS level. Never had this experince myself, but once I saw the warning for just a few minutes after the car had been parked in low position and I started driving a little early.
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Wed Feb 07 2018, 04:46pm
Member No: #615
Usually you will notice a lack or loss of LDS in the steering first before it affects your suspension without a warning sign.
Dan595   
Wed Feb 07 2018, 06:31pm
Member No: #299
I've seen the 'Suspension Fault' message a few times. Initially seemed very random and I didn't worry about it. Eventually the back end of the car became lazy to rise and I ignored that too, until one day it didn't rise at all and a recovery truck was needed.

Last time it happened it turned out to be a faulty suspension pump (BHI unit).

I guess what I'm saying is if the message occurs regularly/frequently, get the fault codes checked.

It's difficult to check the LDS level - very easy to overfill. My understanding is that you only see LDS in the filler basket when the system is fully depressurised.

Also - I see 2.2 - I think power steering has its own reservoir and is totally separate from suspension system.

And, 23 mpg! I get almost double that. Auto box?
C6Dave   
Wed Feb 07 2018, 07:02pm

Member No: #1
Posted in wrong area...

Thank you Tjenson I will get my fault codes deleted, and hope it dosen't happen again. The car is an all black 2.2 exclusive, which came off the production line 15/10;08 and first registered June 2010.

The C6 is a wonderful car if somewhat expensive to run, I am averaging 23mpg, and having seen several post quoting 35to45 mpg Im wondering if there is something wrong, maybe my heavy right boot and the hills around here? It replaced my XM Estate 1999 which is now used as a store.
Website
Citnut   
Thu Feb 08 2018, 12:29pm
Member No: #2182
Thanks dan, apparently Im posting in wrong area, anyway, yes it has a separate supply for power steering, also its an automatic box, so my 23 mpg is not good, must be my driving! I did check the suspension fluid last year and had to top up with half ltr. will check again may be a leak although there is no sign of such, yes it has to be in the lowest position and filled so fluid appears at filter level, that info I gleaned form this club.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club