Hello from a possible C6 owner

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
82t   
Sat Feb 03 2018, 01:12pm
Member No: #2983
Hi all

I'm considering committing to a 2007 2.7 HDi. I'm a long-time Citroën fan and owner and my need for a replacement vehicle (bye-bye 2002 Citroën Synergie) led me to one of the fb groups, where I've come across what sounds like a good example.

BUT! I'm fairly scared by all the accounts on here of engine failures and coolant issues. Is it a crazy decision to buy? Or does it just appear like a oversize problem because this is the forum (literally) where these problems are discussed?

I've read a lot of the threads around the topic - thanks for all the info, links and tips.

Most of my Citroën-owning years have been in the UK, where I have a good network of friends and experts, but I've now returned to live in Ireland (where I'm from). So who would be the equivalent of BL Autos in Ireland? Should I decide to go ahead, it would be sensible to have an expert opinion of the vehicle I'm considering, which does sound like it has been well looked after.

Or, is it worth the VRT bother to import from UK?

Sorry for the long post - lots to ask.

Regards

Cillian
Tjensen   
Sat Feb 03 2018, 05:19pm
Member No: #954
Don't be scared ! Technical problems is the popular topic of the gruop, and there are a lot of car-caring people here that repair and maintain just to get an opportunity to work with the car. Anyway: The engine problems are mostly "state of the art", after 7-10 years plastic parts in cooling system and alternator clutches are failing in many cars. All cars, especially premiunm cars, have their issues. A 2007 C6 has a big base of excperience that will help. At 11 years the maintenance it has been given and that you have to give is the main factor. Low price will make it natural to put aside a fund for parts Biggest problem for me is expensive parts and slow delivery, but probably that goes for all premium cars ?
Leo   
Mon Feb 05 2018, 09:30am
Member No: #94
Cillian

I've owned mine for nearly nine years now. Longer than I've kept any previous car. And still there is nothing out there that I'd be rushing to replace it with. Yes, I've has a major issue with having to replace head gaskets due to a failure in the coolant system. It is a known issue and I should have been more vigilant. otherwise, the car has served me well. Strong, safe and extremely comfortable, these cars are hugely underrated. I suspect that, as you say, your biggest issue will be the tax.

Good luck

Leo
82t   
Mon Feb 05 2018, 11:10am
Member No: #2983
€1350 p.a. to tax it in Ireland. That's unlikely to reduce! But that's the price of obsession, I s'pose.
cruiserphil   
Mon Feb 05 2018, 11:19am

Member No: #38
1391 euro, Cillian.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club