C6 newbie

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
BillyBigBones   
Sun Jan 21 2018, 11:21pm
Member No: #3399
Hi all...
Should be picking up my C6 later in the week, I’ve bought a 2008 2.7HDi lignage, dark metallic blue (not sure of the exact colour yet) with 88k on the clock, full history and seems immaculate but I won’t be able to tell till I wash it for the first time, that’s usually when I find the dings, chips and scratches!!!

It drives like a dream and I’ve always wanted on since they came out. I had a couple of XM’s (mk1 & mk2) and loved them, also a couple of Xantias both diesel. My wife’s had a few Citroen’s as well an AX GT, 3 Picasso’s, but now the kids are grown up she’s turned to the dark side and drives a Ford Street Ka!!

Still looking forward to my new purchase and driving it back home from Brighton with a bit of luck on Thursday as it needs an mot and the rear bushes done apparently.. so if you see a dark blue C6 heading towards London it’ll probably be me!!
MGmike   
Mon Jan 22 2018, 02:17pm
Member No: #3151
to the mad house...
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 22 2018, 03:07pm

Member No: #1
As the car is coming up to 10 years old have the Thermostat housing checked and replaced if it hasn't already had it done (it's important as you will see from threads on site) and budget for a timing belt and waterpump change.

BL Autos in Welwyn Garden City - Click Here - should be near enough to you to be the recommended place to look after the car if your not up to doing it yourself.
Website
BillyBigBones   
Mon Jan 22 2018, 04:30pm
Hi Dave
Thanks for the tips, I have a friend who works for Jaguar and Land Rover so he’s very familiar with the 2.7hdi engine! Welwyn Gatden City isn’t local to me but I’ll keep it in mind if I need anything done if my friend isn’t available.
I’m looking forward to the impending ownership and thinking of doing a vlog on ownership as there’s little content on YouTube most of it is in French or they’re Eastern European .
I will let you know my initial thoughts as I’ve got an hour and a half journey home when I pick it up later in the week (hopefully before the weekend)...

Thanks again and the site is great...
jamescarruthers   
Mon Jan 22 2018, 06:07pm
Member No: #1548
Welcome. C6 is magnificent. XM was too mind!
FraserG   
Mon Jan 22 2018, 11:42pm
Member No: #2011
Welcome Billy,

I look forward to hearing your initial thoughts. When you say the milage is 88k is that miles or km's? My similar aged C6 has just passed 160km's and I just had the cam belt, water pump etc done as preventative maintenance. Unfortunately the radiator, thermostat housing and allied tubing also needed replacement as did my auxiliary belt, tensioner etc which had failed and was the reason my car was at the garage in the first place. Oh, and a tie rod! Great to have it back now and hopefully ready for another 160,000kms. Just need some new tyres when my bank balance has recovered!

Sorry if this sounds alarming, the car has only needed normal servicing over the last three years, so if I average out the cost over that time, it hasn't been expensive at all. Especially when balanced against the enjoyment it has provided me.
BillyBigBones   
Thu Jan 25 2018, 03:33pm
hi
just a quick update on my C6 purchase, I should be picking the car up on Saturday hopefully, I found a small water leak on the test drive which has turned out to be the thermostat housing (which some of you have mentioned is a common fault and what I've read elsewhere). So that will save me a few pounds!! So heres to Saturday and the pickup in the afternoon....
BillyBigBones   
Sun Jan 28 2018, 10:55am
Hi all,

Well I picked my C6 on Friday evening and had a very enjoyable ride home. The thermostats housing was replaced by the dealer due to a leak and some bushes replaced at the back. It drives faultlessly, love all the gadgets and toys, very smooth and it certainly can move when provoked..!! All in all I am very impressed and the wife and my teenage kids even like it amazingly....Got to have a good read through the history to check if the cam belt has been done or not ... awesome car.. always wanted one so it will be around for a while for sure....
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 28 2018, 12:33pm

Member No: #1
BillyBigBones wrote ...

It drives faultlessly, love all the gadgets and toys, very smooth and it certainly can move when provoked..!!

That's where the speed limiter comes in handy as it's oh so easy to get it 'tail up' without realising just how fast your travelling
Website
BillyBigBones   
Tue Mar 27 2018, 11:00pm
Hi guys,
Well what can I say? I’ve had the car a couple of months and had to replace a couple of hoses and the water pump!!... The car is now at my local Citroen dealer having the timing belt done at a fixed price of £345 which is very reasonable and also having the diesel pump belt replaced too. The car is now ten years old with only 89000 miles on it and due the belt changes, so I won’t see much change from £500 but worth it none the less. I’m enjoying the car very much and looking forward to taking it across to France for a few days in the not too distant future,

Billy

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club